Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 05:35 AM   #41
Snoking

Time to call in a qualified electrician to figure out what happen. I was warned to check the tightens of all the panel connections when we purchased our 5th wheel in 2016. It is a wonder that the unit did not burn to the ground! A good EMS might have picked this issue up earlier.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #42
Randyf7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
There is heat and damage on every single wire on the neutral buss. What do you mean there shouldn't be any current on that buss?? The neutral wire in a circuit carries the exact same current as the hot wire for the circuit.
Yes, xrated, you are correct. My apology. I meant to say 'grounding buss'. My error should have been obvious by the context of my post.
Randyf7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #43
Sarge2

[QUOTE=JRTJH;398372]In your photo in the first post, looking at the vertical buss bar and numbering the connectors from top (1) to bottom (8), there is green corrosion on the copper wire at connectors 1,5 and 8. The extent of that corrosion can't be determined by looking at the photo, but it may have started at a bad crimp (unlikely on 3 wires) or there may be some significant condensation/water intrusion.

Although it's probably a mute point now, I have to agree with JRTJH... That large main ground wire at top appears to me to be the primary ground for the bus bar... that being said, it appears that because that one was so badly corroded it the system tried to make the rest of the wires the primary gound wire.... hence the burned insulation from the heat of trying to FIND a ground somewhere... I've seen this with a lot of automotive wiring where the system looks for a ground and will attempt to get one thru whatever other ground may be available... JMHO..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #44
xrated

[QUOTE=Sarge2;399585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In your photo in the first post, looking at the vertical buss bar and numbering the connectors from top (1) to bottom (8), there is green corrosion on the copper wire at connectors 1,5 and 8. The extent of that corrosion can't be determined by looking at the photo, but it may have started at a bad crimp (unlikely on 3 wires) or there may be some significant condensation/water intrusion.

Although it's probably a mute point now, I have to agree with JRTJH... That large main ground wire at top appears to me to be the primary ground for the bus bar... that being said, it appears that because that one was so badly corroded it the system tried to make the rest of the wires the primary gound wire.... hence the burned insulation from the heat of trying to FIND a ground somewhere... I've seen this with a lot of automotive wiring where the system looks for a ground and will attempt to get one thru whatever other ground may be available... JMHO..
That isn't the ground buss, it is at the bottom of the picture. The buss that is on the left side is the neutral buss and all the neutral wires will carry the same exact current as the hot wire that is associated with each of the circuits.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=Sarge2;399585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In your photo in the first post, looking at the vertical buss bar and numbering the connectors from top (1) to bottom (8), there is green corrosion on the copper wire at connectors 1,5 and 8. The extent of that corrosion can't be determined by looking at the photo, but it may have started at a bad crimp (unlikely on 3 wires) or there may be some significant condensation/water intrusion.

Agree with Xrated comments but would just add that I don't think it's corrosion on the main neutral. The top (in relation to how the picture is oriented) white wire is a stranded wire and not solid copper. When a stranded wire heats up the strands, being of a smaller diameter, will burn off where as a solid copper wire will not. The green powdery substance appears to me to be the remnants of burned copper.

Again, this is all guessing as none of use are there to really look, disassemble, and diagnose.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #46
Gord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Time to call in a qualified electrician to figure out what happen. I was warned to check the tightens of all the panel connections when we purchased our 5th wheel in 2016. It is a wonder that the unit did not burn to the ground! A good EMS might have picked this issue up earlier.
It would seem to me Snoking has hit on the issue here. It is hard to determine from the one picture, to my eye it appears that all of the screws on the neutral bus bar are screwed right down to where they bottom out. This type of bus bar works best when the stripped wire sticks out of the opposite side from where it enters so that you get a good solid connection. When the repairs are done I suggest also looking at the ground bus connections, as some of the screws are screwed in further than others that are on the same size conductors. Hope you all have a great weekend. Gord
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #47
jimborokz

The heavier wire at the bottom and very heavy wire at the top show green at the connection. It may be just green from overheating copper, but if it is corrosion I would strongly suspect that as the underlying problem causing excessive resistance. Also most of the insulation of the smaller wires show overheating not at the connection but farther up the wire so the source of the heat for them was something else, likely heat from the wires that were actually overheating.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #48
Gord

Looking at the picture a little closer leads me to think the warning label should be at the bottom of the photo with neutral bus bar then at the top of the photo. This would also help to explain the heat distortion of the plastic bezel which is beside the neutral bus in the photo. Looking the neutral termination screws shows that their finish is distorted. The screw heads should be the same color as the termination screw heads on the ground bus.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #49
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Looking at the picture a little closer leads me to think the warning label should be at the bottom of the photo with neutral bus bar then at the top of the photo. This would also help to explain the heat distortion of the plastic bezel which is beside the neutral bus in the photo. Looking the neutral termination screws shows that their finish is distorted. The screw heads should be the same color as the termination screw heads on the ground bus.
I agree on the orientation comment. Good point. There is also the debris around that label that "fell down" around it.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote