Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Big 417

Battery disconnect is it worthwhile

Ok, so my battery disconnect was acting up last fall prior to storage. I am replacing it, but got to thinking. What is it actually disconnecting. Asides from the main wire running to the panel. There is 3 or 4 smaller wires going directly to the battery. These are not disconnect via the switch. I haven't checked amp draw on these yet, but assume they are for things like break away battery and other electrics that hold memory or what have you.

So how much battery drain are we preventing by disconnecting "most" of the battery.

And while I have your undivided attention, I'm thinking of a selector disconnect so I can run 2 separate sets of 6 volt banks. Or combine all 4 batteries. Run down 1 Bank at a time, charge 1 Bank at a time via smaller solar setup. Save a bank for Genny start. That sort of stuff.

Let's have er, and stay safe out there.

Cheers
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Easiest way to check parasitic amperage is to connect an ammeter on the the ground side between the battery negative post and the ground cable.

Your next question on a disconnect. Easy answer is a marine battery selector that has settings for battery 1, battery 2, 1+2, and off. Like this one... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Sea-Sy...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Easiest way to check parasitic amperage is to connect an ammeter on the the ground side between the battery negative post and the ground cable.

Your next question on a disconnect. Easy answer is a marine battery selector that has settings for battery 1, battery 2, 1+2, and off. Like this one... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Sea-Sy...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Right along the lines of what I was thinking. I have the 3 way selector already, just needed another opinion as to wether it made sense lol. Thanks
Old 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Makes perfect sense to me to have the option. "Back in the day", almost 20 yrs ago we were avid boaters. The boat had a generator, air conditioning,twin engines, etc and we stayed out many weekends. I would run the boat on both batteries to charge and one battery while anchored. Kept second battery in reserve to start genset to propulsion engines.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Hamops

There are several parasitic loads in the trailer are connected directly to the 12Vdc system that are always on. While the current draw is very low, they will eventually drain any battery system that you install. A battery isolating switch is a must to protect the batteries from being discharged. As for the several wires that are connected to the battery, my suggestion to you is to disconnect them from the battery and connect them to the load side to the battery isolating switch.

Regardless of the battery setup that you intend to install, installing a isolating switch on positive supply cable from the battery is a must, if you want to protect your battery from discharging, especially when the trailer is in storage.

I installed an isolating switch on our 5vr because it didn't have one. We store it for anywhere from 4 to 8 months a year, When we want to use the trailer, I close the isolating switch and we are able to use the powered equipment (eg landing gear) because the battery still has sufficient charge.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops View Post
There are several parasitic loads in the trailer are connected directly to the 12Vdc system that are always on. While the current draw is very low, they will eventually drain any battery system that you install. A battery isolating switch is a must to protect the batteries from being discharged. As for the several wires that are connected to the battery, my suggestion to you is to disconnect them from the battery and connect them to the load side to the battery isolating switch.

Regardless of the battery setup that you intend to install, installing a isolating switch on positive supply cable from the battery is a must, if you want to protect your battery from discharging, especially when the trailer is in storage.

I installed an isolating switch on our 5vr because it didn't have one. We store it for anywhere from 4 to 8 months a year, When we want to use the trailer, I close the isolating switch and we are able to use the powered equipment (eg landing gear) because the battery still has sufficient charge.

That's an option. We use the trailer every weekend from may to September. It's plugged in when home during the week and batteries come out in the winter. I dont want to set clocks all the time lol. So the little drain is probably manageable.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
travelin texans

Just FYI!
If the RV is plugged in with disconnect in "STORE" the batteries will NOT be charging.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
Hamops

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just FYI!
If the RV is plugged in with disconnect in "STORE" the batteries will NOT be charging.
That's correct, but I need to close the isolating switch in order operate the landing gear when I'm taking our 5vr out of the storage yard. The switch remains closed until the trailer is returned to the storage yard. That way the battery is being charged continuously from either the truck or shore power via the power converter.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
Old 04-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
Hamops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
That's an option. We use the trailer every weekend from may to September. It's plugged in when home during the week and batteries come out in the winter. I dont want to set clocks all the time lol. So the little drain is probably manageable.
If you don't have your trailer on shore power for several days, then your battery will be drained. The biggest culprit is the CO2 monitor. It is always working even when you're not using trailer and it's parked in storage. We're on our third 5vr and all of them are the same way when it comes to the CO2 monitor. They are all hard wired to the DC power with its own in-line fuse.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops View Post
If you don't have your trailer on shore power for several days, then your battery will be drained. The biggest culprit is the CO2 monitor. It is always working even when you're not using trailer and it's parked in storage. We're on our third 5vr and all of them are the same way when it comes to the CO2 monitor. They are all hard wired to the DC power with its own in-line fuse.

Yeah that's a big one eh. Things always plugged in, sits in my driveway 😀

I guess the biggest benefit I'm trying to gain via the 3 way selector is to save a battery bank if needed. We run a 1000 watt inverter. Mostly just powers the TV's and sat dish. I can get 2 days out of 4 6volts no problem. That's with out tossing out the solar panel.

Anyway, I imagine running all 4 batteries vs 2 at a time will likely give more capacity, but I'm thinking if I have to charge via Genny or small solar it will be quicker to bring 2 up to charged.

We're either at full service parks, or out in the sticks where the Genny is no issue to run.

Maybe at the end of the day its a pipe dream, but gadgets are always cool. And I'm bored lol
Old 04-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Campy

My Cougar came from the factory with a battery disconnect switch in the side compartment. Problem is,...it don't disconnect everything and I still get a dead battery if in storage for a long period. I added a "master" disconnect in the front compartment right above the battery and it shuts off EVERYTHING. Problem solved.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
My Cougar came from the factory with a battery disconnect switch in the side compartment. Problem is,...it don't disconnect everything and I still get a dead battery if in storage for a long period. I added a "master" disconnect in the front compartment right above the battery and it shuts off EVERYTHING. Problem solved.
I did the same

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post

Yeah, that's what I was saying about all the other things that by pass the switch. The factory ones are garbage anyways. Mine stopped letting power thru. I imagine burnt contacts inside. And that's without ever even using it. I bought a heavy duty 3 way selector that will go by the batteries now
Old 04-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to keep in the back of your mind if you install a "total power battery cutoff switch"... It must be turned ON when towing, otherwise, there's no power to the emergency braking system in the event that the trailer may disconnect from the tow vehicle.

Most of us with electric tongue jacks/fifth wheel landing gear would probably never be "caught in that situation" but someone with a "hand crank tongue jack" or "a manually operated landing gear system" could hitch up, tow the trailer with no power to the break-away system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something to keep in the back of your mind if you install a "total power battery cutoff switch"... It must be turned ON when towing, otherwise, there's no power to the emergency braking system in the event that the trailer may disconnect from the tow vehicle.

Most of us with electric tongue jacks/fifth wheel landing gear would probably never be "caught in that situation" but someone with a "hand crank tongue jack" or "a manually operated landing gear system" could hitch up, tow the trailer with no power to the break-away system.

Great point! For old trailers especially. I know I ain't going anywhere without juice 😳
Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
KimNTerry

Good point John.

Fortunately I have the Auto Leveling with electirc jacks. I have to have full power to the battery and switched on just to get connected.

Put Batteries in
Turn ON
raise pin
connect truck
raise jacks

enjoy my outing.

Once parked on storage when the trip is over
Turn Batteries off
Leave Battery in until end of camping season.
Last trip of the season/part of winterizing
turn off batt
remove batts and bring home and place in garage for winter on trickle charge and monitor.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Great point! For old trailers especially. I know I ain't going anywhere without juice 😳
Theoretically, if your trailer is plugged into shore power (and parked beside the garage) you "could" even with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" use the converter to raise the front landing gear, hitch up, unplug from shore power and drive away with the BCO switch still in the OFF position.... If it's a "factory BCO, the breakaway device is still powered, if it's an "owner installed make it all stop working" then, that's different.

Can it happen? Not likely, especially with someone who "thinks beyond the moment" but we all, have (or could) wind up in a "perfect storm" and end up in an "OH S**T moment"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #18
Big 417

Quote:
Theoretically, if your trailer is plugged into shore power (and parked beside the garage) you "could" even with the battery cutoff switch "OFF" use the converter to raise the front landing gear, hitch up, unplug from shore power and drive away with the BCO switch still in the OFF position.... If it's a "factory BCO, the breakaway device is still powered, if it's an "owner installed make it all stop working" then, that's different.

Can it happen? Not likely, especially with someone who "thinks beyond the moment" but we all, have (or could) wind up in a "perfect storm" and end up in an "OH S**T moment"...

Always a smart one in the bunch....good point!!!

It's a non issue till it's an issue.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Always a smart one in the bunch....good point!!!

It's a non issue till it's an issue.
So very VERY true !!!!

I'm sure that "none of us reading this thread, post for post" would ever..... But the guy that just bought his new 28SGS and is towing it with his V-6 Tundra (the salesman told him it would tow anything on the lot) who only read the first two posts in this thread and decided it didn't apply to him..... Well, when he installs his BCO switch to shut everything off... When he finds the time to finish the thread....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:

Good point, I installed a complete disconnect on our 2005 Copper Canyon, battery was never an issue. No power at storage yard, with switch off batteries stayed charged even after two months I could run the slide outs on the battery. I will look at taking the lead for the breakaway switch to the battery so it will not be an issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery