Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
CWtheMan

Alfred, Maine

Having been born and raised in rural Maine, I like to stay at rural campgrounds/RV Parks up in that neck of the woods. The Walnut Grove CG is another one of the very common family run CGs. Free newspapers daily, a nice heated pool and beano (bingo) in the barn on the weekends for prizes.

http://www.walnutgrovecampground.net/

The only thing that keeps Alfred from being a completely rural town is the county courthouse. There are only 16 counties in Maine. Most have large land areas compared to other states such as NC with its 100 counties.

Walnut Grove CG provides a nice secure and quiet place to park your rig and do some side trips. The largest town around is Sanford. It’s a short drive from the CG and has all the expected stores needed for traveling campers. There is a super Wal-Mart, a couple of bowling alleys (candle pins) and a nice parks and recreation area as well.

Going east out of Alfred will take you to the well traveled costal tourist attractions. There are the beaches at Wells Beach and Ogunquit. Also in Ogunquit is a modern Play House that does popular off Broadway summer stock shows in the spring and summer times.

If you go a little northeast from the CG you will find Old Orchard Beach, the Coney Island of Maine - so to speak. Then there is the popular Kennebunkport where you will find the President Bush’s retreat (compound) right on the Atlantic Ocean.

A trip to this part of the country wouldn’t be complete without a side trip to Portland with its cobblestone streets and super eateries. DiMillo’s is the only Floating Restaurant on the upper East Coast. The food and service is always excellent or outstanding or super -- get the idea? It’s gooood!

https://www.dimillos.com/

Here is a picture of the courthouse and a few of the CG and our parking site. On the final day of our stay we got real lucky. In the last picture you can see a tire on the ground. When I took the trash out to the road for pick-up I noticed my right rear inside tire looked low on air. As it turned out it was flat. It had a ¼” bolt right in the sidewall. One of our neighbors gave me a helping hand changing

The links are active and you can click on the pictures to enlarge them. The last picture is of the Bush's summer retreat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alferd, ME 1[1].jpg
Views:	73
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	26596 Click image for larger version

Name:	Walnut Grove CG, Alfred, ME - 4[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	26597

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walnut Grove CG, Alfred, ME - 1[1].jpg
Views:	87