Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
katina

Wheel Chocks, slideout questions

I am new to this - have a Springdale 311RE. As I type I'm having a concrete pad poured at my spot. When I move it back, should I put wheel chocks by the tires and how many do I need?
And -
I have 2 slideouts - opposing. If I decide to leave this here (Michigan) for the winter, ( yes it will be winterized ) but can I put my slideouts in/ out if I come up here for a day or two - obviously not when it's 20 below.

And - as long as I'm typing, does anyone know how much weight the slideouts can hold? My friends aren't big, but curious if two 200 lb adults can sit on the couch - for example.

Thanks!!
katina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina View Post
I am new to this - have a Springdale 311RE. As I type I'm having a concrete pad poured at my spot. When I move it back, should I put wheel chocks by the tires and how many do I need?
And -
I have 2 slideouts - opposing. If I decide to leave this here (Michigan) for the winter, ( yes it will be winterized ) but can I put my slideouts in/ out if I come up here for a day or two - obviously not when it's 20 below.

And - as long as I'm typing, does anyone know how much weight the slideouts can hold? My friends aren't big, but curious if two 200 lb adults can sit on the couch - for example.

Thanks!!
I use the BAL X-Chocks. Work great and help to stabilize the TT.
As far as putting out the slides I don't know if you have AC power to keep the battery up but we do put our slide out and back during extreme cold with no issues.
Can't answer the weight problem. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina View Post
And -

Thanks!!
I am assuming the pad is going to be level? Or, not?

If you need to level it I use Andersen levelers with chocks on the raised side (both tires) and a chock in front of the lead and trailing tire on the other side. If there is much of an incline I use a chock front and back on each tire on the unraised tire. I also place X chocks between the tires. Sometimes a mix depending on the site and variations in incline and how long I'll be there.

As far as the slides; I think opening and closing them in the winter is going to be dependent on the weather and how much you like cleaning the tops of the slides before retracting....the condition of your batteries and your power source. Weight wise 400 lbs. would "probably" be OK unless those "200 pounders" like to jump and bounce around. If it is a really deep slide I would proceed with caution to be safe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Number 4

I've parked my TT on an inclined next-to-my-driveway cement pad for years with rubber (not plastic!) wheel chocks on the downhill side of all four tires without any issues. We recently camped in a site that had an extreme slope and I was very nervous having rubber chocks only because the trailer still wasn't level front to back after bottoming out the tongue jack. I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair of those BAL X-chocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5458.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	17510  
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
travelin texans

Make sure when buying the X chocks measure that they will fit between your tires, years ago I bought a set the wouldn't close enough to go between.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The BAL x chocks get my vote. I use them and rubber chocks as well if it's steep. Weight wise on the slide out you should be ok as long as they aren't having a wrestling match or doing Can Can kicks. Our one slide in LR includes sofa and U shaped dinette and we've had six large adults on it without issue. As for extending/retracting in cold weather I would think the largest issue would be if the slide out seal was frozen with moisture or excessively stiff from the cold.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Parking on concrete reduces rolling resistance, so preventing the trailer from rolling with a gust of wind is probably more essential when parked on concrete than when parked on gravel. It sounds like you're not going to be in the local area while the trailer is parked, so you won't be available to "intervene" if any bad weather should blow in. I'd want my trailer as secure as I could make it in that kind of situation. In other words, large wheel chocks, tongue jack down and in good contact, slides in (so no twisting of the frame would happen if the trailer did move) and no power to the trailer, in case there were thunderstorms in the area, etc. In other words, winterized, parked and secured in place and prepared for bad weather.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in XChocks for the "long haul" if you're not going to be around to check on them.... They are completely dependent on the tires maintaining pressure for their stabilizing forces to work. A small air leak in a tire would leave you with no chocking at all and, if you're in FL with your trailer in MN, well you get the idea. That's not the situation you'd prefer if a big wind were to blow in......

As for the slides, I've been told (can't provide a reference) that most slides will support "around 1000 pounds of static weight". I'd suppose that would change if the slide were being moved in or out, if the trailer was not level or if some other "out of the ordinary" were input into the situation. A couple of "heavy" (within reason, not fat lady from a side show weight) visitors shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more concerned that the sofa would support them than if the slide floor would fail..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in XChocks for the "long haul" if you're not going to be around to check on them.... They are completely dependent on the tires maintaining pressure for their stabilizing forces to work. A small air leak in a tire would leave you with no chocking at all and, if you're in FL with your trailer in MN, well you get the idea. That's not the situation you'd prefer if a big wind were to blow in......
Good point regarding tire pressure John. I've also heard on this forum of looping a length of chain/cable through the tire rim holes and securing with a lock. There might be some movement if chocks slip but the trailer could only go so far before the chain/cable stops everything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	157
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	17512   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1556.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	17513  
Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
katina

Thanks!

Well, that was fun! Thank you all for the great answers! I'm ordering the Bal X chocks now. Whew - another item checked. I just had the cement poured and it looks pretty level, so we'll see. It has a teeny slope toward the back to help run off.
katina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

As for tire pressure I would think the rolling resistance of a flat tire would be high regardless of the surface.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
Harleydodge

While on the topic of x-chocks, I recently purchased a set, as I have seen many people using them and thought they looked to be a great option.

Upon using mine though, I am finding issues.
With my lippert auto level system, I don't really need to chock up once the 6 legs are down and taking the weight of my trailer, as most of the time one side or the other the wheels are slightly off the ground anyway.
Therein lies my issue, as when the wheels become elevated, they also move away from each other and the x-chock falls out.
I am worried that if I reinstall the x-chock and tighten it to the tires when raised, that when I lower the trailer to hitch up, they would exert too much force on the tires and cause damage to them.

I could see them being handy if I was simply storing the trailer and not leveling or lowering the legs, but that is seldom/never the case for me, as we set it up when at home where it is stored.

I think, for me at least, the traditional chocks are best for when I need to stabilize the trailer when hitching up or unhitching.

Just food for thought for anyone with an auto leveling system.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

I use a pair of the fastway onestep chocks for our trailer, work great, easy to use.

-Brian
Old 08-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
KHBama

I have a pair of the WIDE Bal X Chocks that I no longer need if anyone wants a good deal. Used a few times, in great condition
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
While on the topic of x-chocks, I recently purchased a set, as I have seen many people using them and thought they looked to be a great option.

Upon using mine though, I am finding issues.
With my lippert auto level system, I don't really need to chock up once the 6 legs are down and taking the weight of my trailer, as most of the time one side or the other the wheels are slightly off the ground anyway.
Therein lies my issue, as when the wheels become elevated, they also move away from each other and the x-chock falls out.
I am worried that if I reinstall the x-chock and tighten it to the tires when raised, that when I lower the trailer to hitch up, they would exert too much force on the tires and cause damage to them.

I could see them being handy if I was simply storing the trailer and not leveling or lowering the legs, but that is seldom/never the case for me, as we set it up when at home where it is stored.

I think, for me at least, the traditional chocks are best for when I need to stabilize the trailer when hitching up or unhitching.

Just food for thought for anyone with an auto leveling system.
The X-chocks are not to be used in place of wheel chocks. Do not install them until after you have unhitched and leveled and remove them before lowering the trailer to hitch up, the instructions that came with mine indicated this. I use the fastway one step chocks for holding the trailer still for unhitching and install X-chocks after leveling. Jury is still out as to whether the X-chocks do any good with a leveling system but I still use them just in case.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:53 AM   #15
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
The X-chocks are not to be used in place of wheel chocks. Do not install them until after you have unhitched and leveled and remove them before lowering the trailer to hitch up, the instructions that came with mine indicated this. I use the fastway one step chocks for holding the trailer still for unhitching and install X-chocks after leveling. Jury is still out as to whether the X-chocks do any good with a leveling system but I still use them just in case.

Instructions??
Well damn! lol

That makes sense. Looks like another visit by the little brown truck is in order. I like the idea of those fastway chocks.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 AM   #16
mazboy

harley, 'most of the time' they are off the ground isn't typical.

unless you are always rving on ground that is at a angle the wheels should typcially be ON the ground. Take a look at your jacks legs, you might have to drop them a hole.

as for the chocks, have tried to use them, never really figured i needed them.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #17
jsmith948

We used X-chocks in conjunction with regular, wedge shaped wheel chocks on our Cougar. They were great for reducing the fore & aft movement "rocking" sensation.
On our Laredo, we have the ground control system and no longer use the X-chocks. We place chocks under all four wheels before unhitching. Then we rely on the leveling jacks. Works for us.
I would never rely on X-chocks alone. The tires can still roll and the X-chocks will either pop out or puncture your tire. (voice of experience)

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a pair of X-Chocks sitting on the shelf in the garage. We used them to help reduce rolling (fore/aft motion) before we bought the BAL stabilizer system. My experience closely parallels jsmith948's comments. If the X-Chocks are installed "just after towing", as the tires cool, the chocks will loosen and in some cases, simply fall out. I ALWAYS had to retighten them after 4 or 5 hours of setting up camp.

I'd never rely on them to stop the trailer from rolling. They are not an alternative for correctly chocking the tires. Just movement inside the trailer has caused my X-Chocks to fall out of position, leaving the trailer totally "unchocked and prepared to roll"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have a pair of X-Chocks sitting on the shelf in the garage. We used them to help reduce rolling (fore/aft motion) before we bought the BAL stabilizer system. My experience closely parallels jsmith948's comments. If the X-Chocks are installed "just after towing", as the tires cool, the chocks will loosen and in some cases, simply fall out. I ALWAYS had to retighten them after 4 or 5 hours of setting up camp.

I'd never rely on them to stop the trailer from rolling. They are not an alternative for correctly chocking the tires. Just movement inside the trailer has caused my X-Chocks to fall out of position, leaving the trailer totally "unchocked and prepared to roll"..... YMMV
Hey John, after reading about your experience with X-Chocks I'm reconsidering purchasing a pair. Our campsite this past June had a significant slope and in the photo you can see a stout log under the left rear stabilizer jack because it wouldn't reach the ground. The tongue jack was down as low as possible and we still weren't level, but close enough for the fridge to be okay. All four wheels were rubber chocked but it was still a hold-my-breath moment when I unhitched. Thankfully nothing moved during our 5-night stay. My thoughts were to use a pair of X-Chocks if in a similar situation for peace of mind but it doesn't sound like they do much more than prevent a little fore/aft motion. Is this the general consensus on X-Chocks? They stop some rocking motion but are not considered a supplement to chocks regarding any significant trailer movement?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	18061  

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I think using X-Chocks as a tire chock for safety (as opposed to for stability) is something that people will argue "until the cows come home". You'll have people who say they are not safe, because they are not reliable (me included) and you'll have people who insist that since they've always done it and never had a problem, then damn-it there is no reason to be concerned....

I'll just say that this was in the box when I bought my X-Chocks and I don't know if BAL is still including it or not. I'm no longer using X-Chocks, they are on the shelf, and I'm no longer "in the game of proving they work"....

It would be interesting to hear what BAL has to say if someone sent them an email asking, "Can I rely on your X-Chocks to safely prevent my trailer from rolling downhill while parked at a campsite, or should I also use "undertire chocks" for safety?"....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X Chock Warning.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	18062  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
slide, slideout