Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
Javi

Looking for HELP

We're looking for a nicer 5th wheel with a floor plan very similar to what we have now.. See below...

We would like to find one in the 33' to 35' length range with the Bedroom steps on the curb side and the large shower...

We really love the 333MKS but know that there are trailers with better furnishings and fittings than the Cougar... and better suited for extended travel..

We're looking for our last trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	333MKS FP.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	13743  
Old 08-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Movin' on

Javi, We like our Montana HC 305rl quite well. It has a nice size shower, it has the double door refrigerator which I like for extended time living in it, and the steps are on the curb side. There's lots of storage too. Might be worth a look. Happy shopping!

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
ledunn

x2 on the 305RL
ledunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Javi, check out the Grand Design Reflection 327 RST. Great floor plan, great RV. Personal opinion, you don't need to step up to a Solitude unless you're going to full time in it. The Reflection is a beautiful RV and Grand Design has great insulation and build qualities. The AC is cold, cold, cold. I love my Keystone Alpine, but if I was going to get something different, I'd have a hard time not going Grand Design. You can get a Reflection for thousands less than a Montana and a Solitude for about the same price as a Montana. If you are in the mood for a road trip, we have one on the lot
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
gearhead

We have the 305rl as well. Only difference is the kitchen slide is on the "patio" side of the trailer. That blocks the view out the normally better side of the camp site. But the HC 310 is basically the same except the kitchen slide is on the road side, which I think is preferable. I'm not too crazy about rear entertainment though.
The Alpine 3400RS might be a bit more luxurious with some nice standard equipment.
Either that or start looking at Artic Fox or Mobile Suites.
And ditto on the Grand Design. We almost bought that instead of the Montana, frequently wish we did.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
notanlines

I can't argue with anything that has been said so far. First of all you have what it takes to Tow what ever you like. Second of all the shopping for it can be a great experience. Finding what you want might be a little problem but it is still fun shopping. I really would cozy up to the solitude Or the Montana.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Javi

Thanks... we've been talking about this for almost two years now... We bought the 333MKS after a good bit of soul searching and driving allover Texas to look at many brands and models. The 333MKS was be best compromise considering out '12 F 250 XL, by the numbers it should have squeaked by... but after a couple of trips it became obvious that the trailer was pushing the truck instead of being pulled... A lot of that was because of the location of the storage (all in front of the axles)... The dry pin weight was very deceiving when compared to loaded... This forced us back to a dually.. unfortunately... just not before we bought the current trailer.

We had originally been drawn to a Brookstone which was a much upgraded trailer over the Cougar, but with a dry pin weight of over 3K I just couldn't pull the pin... The DW was more than a little disappointed by that, but after a while agreed to go with the 333MKS....

Again... not sorry we bought the 333MKS, its been a good trailer... it's just getting to be time to buy the LAST Trailer... It's about the LAST RUN, before we hang it up..

BTW... DW told me I misspoke... The bedroom stairs MUST be on the STREET SIDE...
Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
captcolour

Our 3600RS Alpine is similar floor plan. Like it so far. A little longer at 39'. Model is discontinued now but there are similar floor plans.

I really like the Reflections as well. DW wanted the washer/dryer hook-up which the Reflections didn't have. Wasn't a big deal to me but what do I know! The 3600 has a nightstand by the bed which is handy.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Everyone has different floor plans they find best for them. We enjoyed our Cougar 303 rls at just under 35'. Then we started staying longer periods of time. We found the Montana 370 BR fits our current needs best but is much longer than you are looking at. Montana High Country has a few you may want to explore.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Everyone has different floor plans they find best for them. We enjoyed our Cougar 303 rls at just under 35'. Then we started staying longer periods of time. We found the Montana 370 BR fits our current needs best but is much longer than you are looking at. Montana High Country has a few you may want to explore.
Thanks... Yep we may be looking for an impossible dream... But we've found that anything over 35 feet locks us out of several of our favorite Texas parks.... It may be a pipedream and other than that length isn't a big deal... and weight is NOT a problem..
Old 08-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
Goose

Hey Movin' on,

What part of WV are you from? My family still lives there. We are from Princeton (very southern tip of the state) which is near Beckly and Bluefield. I live in Orlando, FL now. Have a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
Javi, We like our Montana HC 305rl quite well. It has a nice size shower, it has the double door refrigerator which I like for extended time living in it, and the steps are on the curb side. There's lots of storage too. Might be worth a look. Happy shopping!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thanks... Yep we may be looking for an impossible dream... But we've found that anything over 35 feet locks us out of several of our favorite Texas parks.... It may be a pipedream and other than that length isn't a big deal... and weight is NOT a problem..

Too bad the Cougar 303rls is no longer built as it is under 35' and perfect for 2 with the occasional guests. The bonus room in our new Montana is what swayed us into a new one for extended stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Hey Movin' on,

What part of WV are you from? My family still lives there. We are from Princeton (very southern tip of the state) which is near Beckly and Bluefield. I live in Orlando, FL now. Have a good one.
We live in northern WV, not far from Morgantown. We were in Princeton a couple weeks ago. Stayed at Camp Creek State Park.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
We live in northern WV, not far from Morgantown. We were in Princeton a couple weeks ago. Stayed at Camp Creek State Park.

My step mom's mom lives in Morgantown. Know Camp Creek well. Used to camp there all the time as a kid. My family camps at Sherwood Lake for a week every year around Halloween and my dad goes back around Thanksgiving for deer hunting. Beautiful state. I go visit any chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
bsmith0404

Wow 35' with stairs on the street side....can anyone say neede in a haystack? The only ones I've seen with stairs on the street side were all in the 40' range, Sanibel and Alpine both come to mind. I still say look hard at the Grand Design Reflection if you want it to be your last purchase, you would have to sacrifice on the street side stairs though. There are also a couple Solitude floor plans in the 35' range, the 310GK comes to mind, but again stairs on the wrong side. Again, needle in a haystack.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #16
gearhead

We're borderline concerning length and parks. We've done Lake Livingston SP and Martin Dies SP with no problem. We have been good at all COE parks we tried. National parks...so far we have stayed outside Smokey Mtn. NP in commercial RV parks several times, and I can't express how much I dislike doing that. I've spent too much time trying to plan trips that include staying inside Nat Parks. It's just not worth the frustration for me. We have driven through Smokey Mtn. NP marking sites that we think we might be able to fit in and there aren't a lot of them. Big Bend NP is a no go except the small paved parking lot with FHU. That's why I got the cabover. But it's just for me, it's a no go for the DW.
We're at a decision point sometime just as you are. Do we downsize the 5th a little? Problem is, the smaller you go the quality seems to go down as well. Looks like the RV manufacturers assume if you want a smaller 5th wheel that you must want light weight and cheap. Closest thing I've seen is the Arctic Fox 29 5T. Big shower and has center steps with a split bath. But...dealers are scarce. But that could be an advantage of sorts. Maybe Northwoods would agree to using a repair shop you both agree on for warranty repairs. I'm just not sure how much better the Arctic Fox is than the Keystone stuff.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
gearhead

Call me crazy, I've been on the Internet looking at Class C's.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #18
John&Genny

Javi, you might consider the Avalanche 320RS 5'er. About 35 feet long, king size bed, beautiful window layout, etc. Very similar to the floorplan you posted.

In regards to Grand Design, we almost bought one of the Reflection's but it seemed just a bit too rustic to me, and it didn't have the floorplan that we desired. Also at the time we were doing our research on the different 5th wheels out there, Grand Design was bought out by Winnebago. They built great rigs when they were an independent, but you never know what's going to happen when a company is bought out.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:53 AM   #19
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Call me crazy, I've been on the Internet looking at Class C's.
The DW has started talking about a diesel pusher... I'm not ready to pull the plug and go full on retired where that would be a viable option... Think that it would sit under the shed too much... At least with a 5th wheel I can drive the dually to work... I think we'd need to be able to travel more to justify a Class A and with the DW's claustrophobia, a Class C is out just like the 20' trailer that I wanted for hunting camp....
Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a Class A years ago, borrowed our Aunt's Class C. I didn't really like either one. With both, either you "break camp" to go to the store or you tow a "TOAD". With both, you're inside the same vehicle and usually in the same seat, just turned around backwards when parked. I'm the type that much prefers not being in the same place, same seat for 16 hours a day. So, if you're "somewhat the same mindset" not being out of the same seat is a "no go" for a motorhome. At least with a fifth wheel/travel trailer, you can sit in the "driver's seat" during the day and at night, when you park, it's a different room, different seat, different environment. For me, that's a significant plus. I don't like being "trapped" in the same place 24/7.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote