Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Kojak

Generator 30amp Breaker Trips When I Start Gen

My generator 30 amp breaker trips every time I start the generator. The only different thing I've been doing is shutting off the main power switch when the trailer is not in use. Any ideas? I own a 2015 Raptor with a 5500 Onan gen.
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
My generator 30 amp breaker trips every time I start the generator. The only different thing I've been doing is shutting off the main power switch when the trailer is not in use. Any ideas? I own a 2015 Raptor with a 5500 Onan gen.
I assume you are referring to the 30 amp breakers on the gen, is it always the same one? I have seen this on my gen twice since I have owned the Raptor. Never could duplicate the problem and can not remember if it was always the same 30 Amp breaker??

I did ask one of my dealer's tech when it happened the first and all he said was it has seen that happen and said it had to due with the gen start up sequence but again was not a reoccurring problem. Have to admit I never throw my main 50 breaker off but do not see how that would hurt anything. For the heck of it do not throw that main breaker off and see if the gen 30 amp breaker still trips
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Kojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I assume you are referring to the 30 amp breakers on the gen, is it always the same one? I have seen this on my gen twice since I have owned the Raptor. Never could duplicate the problem and can not remember if it was always the same 30 Amp breaker??

I did ask one of my dealer's tech when it happened the first and all he said was it has seen that happen and said it had to due with the gen start up sequence but again was not a reoccurring problem. Have to admit I never throw my main 50 breaker off but do not see how that would hurt anything. For the heck of it do not throw that main breaker off and see if the gen 30 amp breaker still trips

Yes it's the 30 amp breaker and the same one each time. I noticed it only does it after I cutoff the main power switch that is located on the outside in the storage compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

What is this main power switch you are referring to?? Are you referring to the transfer switch near the generator?? Not following you?

Added: have you added additional switches in storage area

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Kojak

No I'm referring to the switch that disconnects the battery completely. It's like a red plastic key.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That red key is your battery disconnect. Are you running the Gen just to exercise it and not to put a charge on the battery? Like Paraptor said, I'd leave it alone to see if it still trips. Are your air conditioners on maybe? Seems like you must be drawing a big load. Are you plugged into shore power? There are some really good electrical guys on here that hopefully will add to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
canesfan

Not sure what the battery cutoff would have to do with it. But then...

Like ctbruce said, do you have something like an AC turned on? I've never had a breaker trip in over 3 years of use.

Also, to note, that battery shutoff does not "completely" disconnect the battery, for whatever reason.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
No I'm referring to the switch that disconnects the battery completely. It's like a red plastic key.

Good Morning, as you probably know by now the battery disconnect switch (red key in the convenience compartment) does not kill all 12VDC to the rig. In general that switch disconnects the battery(s) from the converter/Power
main Distribution Panel. therefore I do not see the relationship with that 12 VDC switch and the 110 VAC breaker on the generator? As I said happened to me twice over all these years and for how many times I started the generator I am sure that disconnect switch was either on or off when I started the generator. I need to run the gen today so I will play with that disconnect switch in different combinations of starting etc. but right now can not think of a relationship?

If you have not already I would test that transfer switch under different combinations, ie shore power on, start gen (after a short delay transfer switch should go to gen output), kill gen and after short delay transfer switch should go to shore power. Generator Power has priority !! then test with no shore power, etc

Again I will play around a little with the gen, which I generally do with different combinations to see if I can get that breaker to trip. I make it a habit to run the gen at least once a month under load throughout the year. Good reminder to change the filter and oil. Everything else completed and ready to pull out in a couple of weeks.

I did just complete adding a real disconnect switch off the negative side of the battery. So now when it is off no battery draw in storage. And yes the front jacks will not work when switch is off !!!

Let me know what you find and I will try some combinations today

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Kojak

The transfer switch is the one located at the gen right?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
canesfan

The transfer switch is probably mounted on the basement wall behind the genny (actually in the basement, not in the genny compartment). Most likely a grey box.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
The transfer switch is the one located at the gen right?

Its where canesfan stated, opposite side of basement wall behind gen. Its just a box on the wall, ie no switches on it everything enclosed. Since I installed a Surge Guard EMS Transfer Switch a few years ago providing me FULL protection (gen and shore power) do not remember color of old one, fairly large hard to miss though. If you decide to run some test as I described in a previous post, you will definitely hear the the relay contacts close

I am running gen no issues, you may want to google "Onan 5500 blows fuses" few articles there. Okay back outside

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Kojak

Im only running it to charge my batteries. No shore power is connected. Next time I will check my thermostat after I turn my battery disconnect back on as I did have an issue with it reading an error code this last camping trip. It wouldn't let me kick on my AC for s few hours.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Im only running it to charge my batteries. No shore power is connected. Next time I will check my thermostat after I turn my battery disconnect back on as I did have an issue with it reading an error code this last camping trip. It wouldn't let me kick on my AC for s few hours.

Exactly what I do while in storage, run gen each month under load, and charge batteries. Sounds like you may have a couple things going on there. By the way ran gen a couple hours trying different combinations of switch positions and could not get fuse to blow. Like I said its been several years now since last time breaker tripped. Only issues I have had with the Onan 5500 was those two times one of the 30 Amp breakers tripped and the one time the gen was outputting 130-140 VAC (do not remember exact number) Luckily it occurred after I installed the Surge Guard Transfer switch, which protected the Raptor

Do not remember warranty on the gen, but to take it in would be nice if you can duplicate the problem. In my case I could not duplicate any of the issues I had therefore I did not want to waste my time and money to drag it to the nearest Onan authorized repair center.

Let us know if you find anything, Thanks

Get that Raptor out camping

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #14
canesfan

Most any Cummins repair facility should have an Onan tech. I'd find one and call and talk to them. They are generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://salesandservice.cummins.com/locations
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Most any Cummins repair facility should have an Onan tech. I'd find one and call and talk to them. They are generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://salesandservice.cummins.com/locations
Can not remember if I called about the 30 amp fuse tripping, see I advantage of getting old "Do not Remember"

Did call when Gen output voltage was 130-140 VAC, response "Should not do that bring it in" as stated previously could not recreate the problem. I am sure I would be looking at replacing equipment in the Raptor if not for my Surge Guard EMS
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #16
Kojak

So I tried all weekend to recreate the problem but I couldn't do it. I let the AC go for about 2 hours, shut it off and turned it back on a few times and nothing. I hope whatever it was doesn't come back.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #17
Kojak

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #18
66joej

Quote:
So I tried all weekend to recreate the problem but I couldn't do it. I let the AC go for about 2 hours, shut it off and turned it back on a few times and nothing. I hope whatever it was doesn't come back.

Only trouble with an intermittent electrical problem is if it's not solved you can be sure it will reoccur at the most inopportune time. Hope that yours has gone.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator