Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Sicapo

Leaking black tank valve

Hi,
I have a Passport 2013 195RB. The black tank valve is leaking.
I've tried to rince it up with as much water as I could (either from the toilet or from the exterior output).
After many unsuccessful tries, I went to my local dealer to get it replaced.
3 camping later, it started leaking again.
I won't tell you how frustrated I am from getting "splashed" every time I take the plastic cap off the drain pipe.
Beside getting another valve (witch I think won't solve the problem),
is there anything else I could do (or something I could install) to avoid any further "mess"?

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the most frequent reasons for valve leakage is solid material, toilet paper, feminine products or baby wipes that get stuck in the rubber seal. That causes the valve not to seat properly and leakage occurs. Without knowing how you use your black tank, that may or may not be an issue. Essentially, the only thing we put into our black tank is single ply toilet paper (that breaks down readily) and human waste. Otherwise, everything goes into the trash can in the bathroom.

We also have a "terminal valve" on the outlet where you keep getting splashed. You will find that having an extra valve to open/close gives you that "insurance against splashes" and is a good investment. Here is a picture of the valve we installed and the link to one source for the valve. Installation is simple, just remove the cap, install the valve and reinstall the cap on the new valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=rv+tank+valve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VALTERRA TERMINAL TANK VALVE.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	11124  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Leaking black tank valve

Bad seals could be the issue too. There are 3 (I think) different types and they are NOT interchangeable. You can use Bladex on regular valterra valves but not the other way around. Also Bristol valves have to have Bristol seals.

Try filling your tank with clear water. Then operate the valve fully a few times. If it doesn't stop, then the seals need tone changed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Canonman

Depending on the layout, there could be several feet of pipe between the black tank and the valve. We were told that could be the problem with our Cougar having some liquid behind the cap when we open it to attach the drain hose.
They are saying the pipe isn't completely drained.
Sounds like you have more than a trickle behind the cap.
Personally I like the idea of a terminal valve. I'm ordering one tomorrow to solve our problem. I hate surprises like the one you are describing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3324.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	11125  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
SFGiantsFan925

We bought a brand new Bullet 272BHS and had the same problem. Fisrt time we ever used it I went to the dump station and had a full pipe of "fluid" from the cap up to the vavles. Unknown if its black or grey water. Doesnt matter. Its terrible to have anything there.

So I flushed it real good, but wondered why there was fluid there if the RV was brand new unused.

On our second tri, it did it again. I was so mad! So I took it back to the dealer and had them fox it under warranty. Our next trip is in a few weeks so we shall see how it works. Better not get a splash!

I like the idea of that terminal valve. Oh and BTW, the dealer didnt really specify what was done to fix it.
SFGiantsFan925 is offline   Reply With Quote