Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Hideout17

Toyota tundra owners...

I would like to hear from any Toyota tundra owners pulling 5th wheels. Please no weight police. I would like to hear from any tundra owners experiences good or bad and what you pull with it. Im looking for input not to start a debate thread. ...thanks
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might be interested in the Community Group called "Tundra Owners". You can access it at the top of every forum page in the Community tab. Once there, on the lower right corner of the second block is a link, "View All Groups" Click on that and scroll through the group titles until you find it.

Also, you can use this link to access the group: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/group.php?groupid=7

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
I would like to hear from any Toyota tundra owners pulling 5th wheels. Please no weight police. I would like to hear from any tundra owners experiences good or bad and what you pull with it. Im looking for input not to start a debate thread. ...thanks
Curious why you say no weight police? When I see a statement like that it makes me think you know your TV doesn't have the payload capacities to do what you want, but are looking for an excuse to make you feel okay about it. At least that's my experience on this forum. Your reason for the statement may be different, I'm just curious.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
Hideout17

Yes I do want a bigger 5th wheel. I want to hear from owners who do pull 5th wheels with tundra . I hear alot that tundra pulls better than some 2500s. My theory any more is if you can do it safely do it.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
jsmith948

The Tundra is a half-ton gas powered truck. There are members that pull 5th wheel trailers with their Tundra's. I can tell you this, our Cougar is a 1/2 ton series. Fully loaded for camping it weighs just under 10,000# with a pin weight of around 1850#. I know - a Tundra pulled the Space Shuttle - Good Luck.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
BlueThunder34

From what I can see, Toyota doesn't even list 5th wheel tow ratings in their tow guide. Not sure why some would "think" this truck would handle a 5th wheel better than a 2500? Payload on the new Tundra's seem to be about 1600-1700 lbs being optimistic, that would have to be one small 5th wheel with a very light pin weight to fit into a "safe" for 1/2 ton category. No I am by no means a member of the weight police and I do think that 1/2 tons are very capable tow vehicles as I towed with one for years, however I also don't believe that just because a manufacture puts 1/2 ton towable on the side of the trailer, it is 1/2 ton towable in reality. Best of luck with whatever decision you decide to make on the upgrade.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
GaryWT

I have never been a Toyota fan of any of their vehicles and have yet to find a fifth wheel that we like better than out TT so have not done what you are asking. I do find that any fifth wheel worth looking at is too heavy for my F350 so I would never tow one with any 1/2 ton no matter who made it. I know many do but I always chuckle to my self when I see a 1/2 ton towing a 35 foot+ fifth wheel and the bumper of the truck is almost on the ground.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
notanlines

Hideout, let me thank you for the original posting. Few things on this forum bring out interesting reading like the subject you chose. I'm sorry that I can't help you with your dilemma. I'm driving Fords and Chevys and Harley Davidsons so I wouldn't be in a position to give you an honest answer. But I can tell you this: You will get a lot further on this site and by far better information if you refrain from "Tundra pulls better than some 2500's" type of statements. You have heard this from Tundra owners who don't have a 3500 dually sitting in the drive. It is still fun to follow this type of post and thanks again for bringing it up. It is way more interesting to read than "Can I get some help with ants in the trailer."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
1jeep

I owned a 2007 tundra when they came out with the new 5.7, it was ok, but like most 1/2 tons it will run out of payload fast. I had a travel trailer at the time, im sure there are 5th wheels within its ratings.

good luck.

FYI....in 2008 I traded it for a F350, like I said it ran out of payload fast with my trailer.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
Pull Toy

Not to dampen your spirits, or flame you, but it's not what it can tow. It's what it can legally, and safely tow.

Speaking as a former LEO, with eight years on the job, I'd card you, and probably "SCALE" you in a heartbeat if I saw you towing any 5er longer than 15 feet.

It's not about your safety, it's about mine, my kids, and grandkids, and everyone else's!

Don't expect a 1/2 tonner to be anything else but a half tonner.

The "WEIGHT POLICE" have weighed in (PUN INTENDED) Like it or not!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Hideout -
Flyguy, a previous Moderator and forum contributor, owned a Tundra and pulled a small to mid-sized 5th wheel. If you sent him a PM, I'm sure he would be willing to share some of his experiences and suggestions with you. However, I'm not sure if he still continues to monitor or check our forum so a quick reply might not happen. If you are not able to contact him, get back to me and I will give him a shout.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Hideout17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Hideout -
Flyguy, a previous Moderator and forum contributor, owned a Tundra and pulled a small to mid-sized 5th wheel. If you sent him a PM, I'm sure he would be willing to share some of his experiences and suggestions with you. However, I'm not sure if he still continues to monitor or check our forum so a quick reply might not happen. If you are not able to contact him, get back to me and I will give him a shout.
Thank you...Im not that in need of info. I don't want to put you out any. I pretty much know I don't want to get one with this combo bit if a deal i couldn't pass up came around.....
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I towed a Springdale 242 fifth wheel with my F150. Flyguy towed a Springdale 247 with his Tundra. He later upgraded to a different brand (not Keystone) and towed it with his Tundra.

The two Keystone fifth wheels, mine and Flyguy's are no longer manufactured. The smallest fifth wheel in the Springdale line is the 253 with about 1400 pound pin weight. Much too heavy for a 1700 pound payload.

My experience is that a "half ton" will tow a small fifth wheel, but realistically, the limited payload means counting every pound on every trip, making significant changes in what you normally take along and not being able to "throw in another one" without taking something out of the mix to compensate. I grew tired of RVing that way and decided to upgrade my truck. With the F250 (gas engine) I had more than enough payload to "just go and do it". I would not tow another fifth wheel with a half ton truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Hideout17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Not to dampen your spirits, or flame you, but it's not what it can tow. It's what it can legally, and safely tow.

Speaking as a former LEO, with eight years on the job, I'd card you, and probably "SCALE" you in a heartbeat if I saw you towing any 5er longer than 15 feet.

It's not about your safety, it's about mine, my kids, and grandkids, and everyone else's!

Don't expect a 1/2 tonner to be anything else but a half tonner.

The "WEIGHT POLICE" have weighed in (PUN INTENDED) Like it or not!
I just asked for others experiences and the police dept showed up. I HAD no intention on getting one but if an offer came up i thought I might think about it. With your response i WOULD do it just to piss you off!!!! I didn't ask if I should or if I can or what if...I just asked for response from tundra owners and if they had one and how it worked out for them. I know payload numbers, and truck capabilities probably better then you do. I know what I can do. I would rather drive with a over weight half ton with a knowledgeable driver than some Yahoo hotshot in a one ton in the hammerlane. If you can't answer someone's question without judging them then shut up. So if and when I get a 5th wheel I will be sure post my destination and travel route for you....
Old 08-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
14george

I agree with pull toy I thought about it but safety is my top concern
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #16
bsmith0404

First of all, I didn't see anything in Pull Toy's response that was judging you. He was a bit harsh maybe for your taste, but he was giving you an honest response from a LEO that has safety in mind.

Your statement goes right along with my original concern and why I asked about your motive. Too many people think they understand what a truck can or can't do. Too many people think their truck is more capable than it is. Too many people put others in danger because they want to save a dime vs. buying the proper equipment. If I told you I pulled a 14k lb 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton Tundra and it towed great, would that make you happy and ready to do it yourself? If I said I towed a 4k lb ATV trailer with a Tundra and it was too much, would that stop you from trying to tow a 5th wheel with yours? I towed my 15k lb 5er with a 2500 and knew immediately I was overloaded. I stepped up to a dually. I have towed a lot of trailers and have more miles than I can count doing it. Other people say they pull the same size or bigger RV with their 2500 and brag about how well it tows, only because they don't know what they're missing. I've seen more than one RV turned over on the highways and in the ditches with TVs that are too small. Maybe a more capable TV would have made a difference, maybe it wouldn't have. As for the weight police on this forum, they are only concerned about safety, yours, your families, and everyone else who is sharing the road with you. The good people at Toyota determined what your truck can safely tow, why would ask for experiences of someone who may or may not know how a truck/5th wheel combo SHOULD tow?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
I just asked for others experiences and the police dept showed up. I HAD no intention on getting one but if an offer came up i thought I might think about it. With your response i WOULD do it just to piss you off!!!! I didn't ask if I should or if I can or what if...I just asked for response from tundra owners and if they had one and how it worked out for them. I know payload numbers, and truck capabilities probably better then you do. I know what I can do. I would rather drive with a over weight half ton with a knowledgeable driver than some Yahoo hotshot in a one ton in the hammerlane. If you can't answer someone's question without judging them then shut up. So if and when I get a 5th wheel I will be sure post my destination and travel route for you....
Ask a loaded question and then get bent out of shape when you get the answer... Adios
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
vampress_me

Quote:
First off, thank you Pull Toy and bsmith0404 for your responses. I appreciate the safety consciousness and level-headedness in them.

"I know payload number, and truck capabilities probably better then you do. I know what I can do." By that statement, do you think that maybe, just maybe, Toyota also knows what their truck is capable of, and maybe that is why the payload numbers are what they are? Or do you know more than Toyota about what their truck is designed for?

I know this hits a nerve for me. My brother-in-law had to live with a traumatic brain injury from the age of 17 until he died in his early 30's. It was from a car accident with an overloaded truck crossing the centerline and hitting the car he was driving. It didn't affect only him, but the whole family. Quite bluntly, it was hell for quite a few years while his brain healed as much as it could. And it was hell for him because he remembered being "normal" before the accident and what he could no longer do. THAT is why there are the "weight police". They are trying to prevent things like this happening.

Also, if you can't accept the answers you get when asking such a loaded question on here like that, then maybe you are the one that needs to "shut up". Don't be so rude.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #19
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Seems you already know that your truck is not up to the task of a bigger 5th wheel and maybe that's why such a defensive response. "I would rather drive with a over weight half ton with a knowledgeable driver..." ?? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Someone who is knowledgeable wouldn't tow overloaded, a negligent driver would however. Its concerning seeing people hoping to hear of a positive experience to help them justify towing beyond their TV ratings. If the manufacturer doesn't even offer 5th wheel ratings for the truck, that should be a clue it's not intended to tow this type of trailer.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
nellie1289

I had a 2008 tundra limited, before I got my 2014 ram 3500. It was a great truck, pulled a 6000 lb boat ok, nothing to write home about. But the truck was bulletproof from a daily driver standpoint.

I will tell you it would be borderline insanity to tow a fifth wheel with it. Call me the weight police, but you are putting a lot of people in jeopardy with this kind of logic. Any salesman who lets you drive away with a new rig with that set up should be arrested. I have a buddy who has 1/2 ton series cougar and the weight of it is nearly eclipsing his 2500 tow ratings, they are considering a 3500 now. And to say it would pull better than a 2500 is just frankly a terrible statement, unless the 2500 you are talking about is is from the 70's.

1800 lbs of payload will be reduced by probably 500 lbs of passengers and crap in the cab, so you would have nothing left for pin weight.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote