Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
OregonM&MJ

Accumulator tank with by-pass pumps?

I've been looking at replacing the current pump in my TT and I'm looking at the Shurflo 4008. In Shurflo's literature, they state "No need for an accumulator with by-pass pumps", but I've read lots of good reviews from folks employing an accumulator tank to reduce pump cycling, etc. with a pump with by-pass capability.
Anyone out there with an opinion one way or the other?
OregonM&MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
shov

Interested in the answers to this question also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

I swapped my Flo-Jet pump for a ShurFlo 4008.

My pump is in the bedroom on the wife's side.

I get up and pee in the night.

Having a tank means I can turn the pump off before bed, flush 3-4 times (both of us) and not need to run the pump.

Yeah, I like having a tank.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

First a "history lesson": Years ago, pumps didn't have any "regulated pressure" capability. The pump would run and supply water, when the pressure was reached, the pump would turn off, then immediately turn back on when the pressure dropped. That caused "surging" or "up and down pressure". The accumulator tank solved that problem and "back in the day" tanks were a "standard feature" on all "upscale RV's.

Fast forward to today: Pumps are "speed/volume regulated to prevent surging, so the accumulator tank is no longer "necessary" to keep a constant water flow when showering. Many people still "like the storage capacity" of the accumulator tank, mainly so the pump won't turn on (make noise) during a "night time flush". Otherwise, the accumulator tank doesn't serve a functional purpose like it did "back in the day"....

From my perspective (for what it's worth), a tank isn't "necessary", but it will stop pump cycling with "limited water use" such as a quick flush or a small cup of water to take meds, etc. Functionally, there's no significant difference in performance with or without the tank in today's variable speed/volume pumps.

Installing on is more a personal preference than a necessity with modern RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
OregonM&MJ

JRTJH- Thanks for the history. Helps a lot. Do believe I will go ahead with the install.
GMcKenzie- Your rig layout and life similarities to mine are startling, and a perfect reason to install the accumulator!
shov- Hope you got some help from the responses, as well!

Thanks for the replies folks!! Hitting the road, soon, right after the upgrades...
OregonM&MJ is offline   Reply With Quote