Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Gadgetmonster

Selling a trailer, I'm worried the buyer is a scammer

Im selling a trailer around $25,000 on Craig's list. I'm in Indy. Guy from south side of Chicago texts me with a few questions like do I hold a clear title. Then he want's to meet tomorrow to see it. I tell him cash only. He agrees. I have a funny feeling about it... so I have not given him the address. What if he is buying with counterfeit money? It would be a Sunday and I would not have access to a bank. How would I protect myself on a transaction of this magnitude?

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn't do a $25K cash deal. If he has the cash, he can have his bank issue a certified cashiers check. JMO

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
homer3

Certified Check Only, after you meet go to the bank or CU and then have the certified check made in witness.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
theeyres

If the plan is already in place, ask him to spend the night and go to bank in the morning. If he is a scammer he won't stick around. If he is for real, he'll certainly be willing to spend $50 bucks or whatever for a motel and complete the deal Mon. AM.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetmonster View Post
Im selling a trailer around $25,000 on Craig's list. I'm in Indy. Guy from south side of Chicago texts me with a few questions like do I hold a clear title. Then he want's to meet tomorrow to see it. I tell him cash only. He agrees. I have a funny feeling about it... so I have not given him the address. What if he is buying with counterfeit money? It would be a Sunday and I would not have access to a bank. How would I protect myself on a transaction of this magnitude?
Asking if you have a clear title or him saying that he's paying with cash is no need to get paranoid. Of course he would want a clear title and 25 grand isn't a great deal of money for a transaction.
If you want to sell it then give him your address, it's kind of hard to sell something if they can't come see it
I do large cash deals all the time and I'm never bothered to even count it but I guess things are different where I live.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
notanlines

He's probably saying right now that he thinks you're a scam because you won't show him your trailer. Sell him the trailer and then take him AND the money to the post office that is open on Sundays (probably at the airport) and have him buy a money order for the amount. Might have to buy more than one.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
dcg9381

This is always a matter of opinion. Ask around and people will say "cash only" or "certified check".

As I read it, he didn't agree to buy it, he agreed to the "cash" terms if he likes it.

Large bills have a marker on them that you can see if you hold the bill in the sunlight. It's a lot of trouble to provide someone counterfeit money, then drive away with the trailer... I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's much easier to just go hookup to one of the bunches of trailers that are sitting unattended. In most states, titles are easily replaced and can be signed.

If you're concerned about that cash, as him to come look at the trailer first and indicate you need a wire transfer and you'll meet him at your bank... Or his bank.. If he wants to buy.

I don't take "certified" checks. These are a huge problem - they're being forged all over the place. They're used for craigslist scams a lot, but usually not in person:

The ONLY way to take a certified check is to tell the buyer that he needs to provide you the check number and issuing bank in advance so you can verify it (you call the issuing bank) and that the sale will occur during bank hours.

Safest way to do this transaction is cash from his bank. Assuming he's paying cash, he's more at risk than you are, as you can tell him where to be and you know he's carrying a large amount of cash.

I've bought a good number of things cash in hand - tractors, cars, etc. If it's uncomfortable for you, take the transaction to a bank.

I would not assume it's a scam if he's offering to pay cash on the spot... Course, on CL, that usually means that they'll show up and offer you less than asking.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
bsmith0404

There have been so many CL scams and horror stories such as murders that it's difficult to trust anyone. As mentioned, it is dangerous for both parties, sellers have been murdered and their car (or whatever) stolen, buyers have been murdered and had their cash stolen (happened just a couple weeks ago in Virginia). The best way to conduct business with CL is to meet at a public place where your transaction can be completed and verified. A large store parking lot near your bank is best. Show the trailer, and if he decides to buy, you complete the transaction at the bank with the deposit going into your account. It is safer for both parties. IMO, if he can't meet on a business day where I could complete the sale as outlined above, I'd tell him sorry.

We sell a lot of things on CL, I would never give a CL buyer my home address. We meet everyone at a public parking lot about a mile from our home. Can it be a bit of an inconvenience, yes, but not as much as being robbed or murdered.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

While working auto theft full time, I investigated purchases by all means using fake or forged items. My opinion the worst is a money order. The bank takes them from you and about 3-4 weeks after you get a letter or phone call saying they were fake and all that money is now taken out of your account. I think the best advise is to due the exchange at a bank, best if his bank co. Get a copy of his DL, write down what he is driving, have someone with you as a witness and help if needed and do not forget the DMV records, go to DMV and get that cleared from your name, so it is not found later as a drug lab and police come to your house asking why your making meth. What percent of these type of deals go bad, I did not have any idea. If they go bad it can be a nightmare and months to get fixed. Size the guy up, you have feelings as to what is right and wrong. Looks, anyone can take a shower and wear clean clothes. I am talking about does he act like he knows the RV and it value, does he talk like the used car salesman saying anything to get you hooked. You do not have to sell it to him if you do not feel good or right about the whole deal.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #10
BirchyBoy

If you're worried about being scammed, which is a valid worry, use a broker to sell it. They will take a small percentage and can possibly sell to someone using financing.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
airforceret

I used my phone to take a picture of the seller, his drivers license and the vehicle plate from the vehicle he was driving on my last big sale. I gave the seller a bill of sale and the camper, but told him I was holding the title for 10 days till the cash cleared the bank.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
notanlines

Airforceret, I'll bet not one in fifty on here would have stood for a trailer owner to hold the title until cash cleared the bank. I believe you sold to a fool.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Airforceret, I'll bet not one in fifty on here would have stood for a trailer owner to hold the title until cash cleared the bank. I believe you sold to a fool.
I agree !!! Trust and integrity are a "two way street" in deals like this. Me not trusting him and "holding the title"... Or him not trusting me and "holding the check".... Sooner or later, one or the other has to "release the goods"...

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't run into anyone on CL who is willing to meet "face to face" to do business who's trying to "scam" or "cheat"... It's always been the email response that says, "I can't meet", but I'll send you a cashier's check and you can ship me the goods....

I'd be happy to take "COLD HARD CASH", even $25K and release the title. Heck, as long as the serial numbers aren't all the same, little chance of counterfeit. Now as for a cashier's check. There are lots of them running around that aren't legit. I think we've all heard of someone we know who accepted an out of state cashier's check and it wouldn't clear the bank.

Of the two, I'd rather get cash than a check.

As a comparable transaction, with the "one hour purchase" capability at most car sales lots, what's to say that "your" (or "mine") downpayment, or title, or ??? won't fall flat? Those folks take checks and cash and titles for trade-ins every day and release new vehicles to "unknown buyers".... I'd suspect that if there was any "significant problem" with scammers, car sales would have become much harder to complete many years ago.

Besides, with a $25K deal, we're talking "felony" not "petty theft", so not many people are willing to "risk it all" for something like a used RV. Heck, if I were going to risk that kind of punishment, I'd want enough "benefit" to keep me in retirement in some country that doesn't have extradition, not sneaking some used RV across state lines in the dead of night.....

I'd suggest showing the RV, "sizing up" the integrity of the potential purchaser and doing what your "gut instinct" tells you is right.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
C130

I've sold several cars and lots of motorcycles myself and recently sold my toy hauler myself. Money goes to my bank on the larger items then they get their vehicle. I met one person at their bank and the transaction was done there. It's much easier if it's financed I think and my bank told me the same. Selling the toy hauler was very easy, the two banks did all the work.

I think if it was a cash transaction and I had the title I'd have the buyer wire the money to my account or meet at my bank. When it showed up in my account then they'd get the RV. I recently sold some dirt bikes and only did it at my home. They wanted me to meet them but I told them no, if they want it they can come and get it. I've met people before but only after lots of discussion and just having the right feeling about them. I would confirm a Cashiers Check before accepting one as I've known people that received fake ones and lost their money.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #15
Desert185

Some of you guys should be advising the government...like don't give a certain islamic terrorist country $150 billion and hope for the best, especially while they hold four of our Americans hostage.

That said, I like cash. Trust, but verify, as someone great once said.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
Way Of Life

Cash is king! Large bills only! We were the victims of an attempt of fraud when someone was going to buy our previous fifth wheel. Certified checkes.....money orders and anything other than cash are extremely easy to produce. Cash in large bills on the other hard are extremely hard if not impossible to produce correctly. The moron that made an attempt to buy from us tried to pass a bogus certified check. We took it to Wells Fargo where we were banking at the time and they even told us the check was legit. We made the deposit and needless to say 4 days later a freeze was put on all of our accounts due to the fact that the check was fraudulent. What was really upsetting was that Wells Fargo thought we were in on the deal to defraud the bank. It took us close to a week to gain access to our funds which we withdrew in CASH and took our business else where.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Way of life, did you see my post #9. That's what banks do and you loose. I helped maybe 15-20 victims who went thru that. Your right the 100s are hard to fake but, it happens. Advice check each bill, they might stick a few good and some fake bills into the stack. Yea, seen that to. That case ended with an arrest the same day and the guy had a car trunk full of fake 100s. He did not learn and I was glad to arrest him again 8 months later.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #18
roadglide

I bought a 9 k toy hauler out of state last year with cash used it sold enjoyed sold for 12 K with cash all on C L communication and sizing up the customer, I would have him come to my house for a sale like I would go to there house for sale. I still have a fake computer check from crags list scamming deal I quit communicating . My girlfriend is a retired banker she sported flaws, it look good me.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Elihu Smails

Escrow.com
Elihu Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #20
Gadgetmonster

Here is how it came down...
Sunday he was to come down to buy the thing sight unseen. I texted him that I had an emergency and could do it on Monday. He said OK, Monday noon at an address that was my bank. Monday morning I called the bank and they said that if we did the transaction in the bank or in the parking lot, before we give him the title, walk in the bank and give them the cash. They have a machine that verifies the cash as authentic. They said that at that point I have zero worry because the bank assumes the risk from there on. Then we walk out and give him the keys, title and a receipt. Perfect plan.
At 10:am I texted him to confirm he was on his way from Chicago. He replied "I am not coming, I do not want any bank involved. That's why I choose to only buy from individuals" At that point we were done and we have not communicated since.
I am comfortable with that and would do it that way again. If the buyer is scared of me running their cash through the bank then so be it, keep your money. I prefer to sell like I buy. Everything on the up and up.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote