Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
RFM

Intelligent RV water pump?

Hi guys,
My TT is only 1,1/2 year old and it is the second time I forget my water-pump switch after flushing my fresh water tank for storing the TT.

NOW the pump is dead, do you know if a intelligent water pump exist? A pump that shuts off automatically if there is no water in tank.

It should exist if they can send men on the moon.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I can't say I've ever heard or seen one. If it helps you feel better, the last time I retracted my awning, the switch stuck in the retract position. Motor is now Dead, and replacement is $300.00. Can't say I've seen any water pumps in that price range.

Maybe a checklist would help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFM View Post
Hi guys,
My TT is only 1,1/2 year old and it is the second time I forget my water-pump switch after flushing my fresh water tank for storing the TT.

NOW the pump is dead, do you know if a intelligent water pump exist? A pump that shuts off automatically if there is no water in tank.

It should exist if they can send men on the moon.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you "flushing" or "draining" the FW tank? If you winterizing your RV and putting it away in storage for the winter, then all you need to do is drain all the water out of the tank. This can be accomplished by opening the drain valve or drain cock on the bottom of the tank. You don't need to use the water pump to empty the FW tank.

There are some pumps that claim to run when "dry" but I wouldn't want to test their claim.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:21 AM   #4
billstuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I can't say I've ever heard or seen one. If it helps you feel better, the last time I retracted my awning, the switch stuck in the retract position. Motor is now Dead, and replacement is $300.00. Can't say I've seen any water pumps in that price range.

Maybe a checklist would help.
I did the same thing. Wouldn't it be nice if the fuse blew BEFORE the motor fried?!!
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote