Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Campin_Joe

Leaking slideouts

Can anyone please offer me advice? I have a 2014 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS. The problem I am having is when the slides are out and it is raining somewhere water is coming in and the carpet against the wall in the bunk room is getting wet. I have contacted the dealer who I bought it from brand new shortly after buying the camper last year with this issue. Their service after the sale really sucks. They really refused to fix the problem and offered a solution of using silicone all along the seams at the bottom of the slide which I did. This was not tested as we were at the end of the camping season last year when I did this.

I just pulled the camper out of storage and it is raining today. Well I went in tonight and once again the carpet is wet due to a leak somewhere. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have a solution? The gasket on the slide is in good condition.

Thanks
Campin_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Luckybuck55

The pieces of angle or flat pieces at the bottom on each side might still need caulking , remove screws and take off and recaulk with pro flex caulking you will have to order from RV supply company. You can use this over the existing areas it will adhere to the other caulk. Do not use silicon it will not adhere to the other caulking,water could be coming in around windows or outer edges of slide they on the inside edge , they small metal strips that also screw on . You can put a small bead on the edges. The pro flex comes in different colors.
Luckybuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Campin_Joe

I can try to pull all angled metal off the edges and seal from the inside. I think the caulking is keeping the water out. I am sure it is not the windows as the slide does not seem to leak when they are pulled in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Luckybuck55

It will not leak with slide in because it is sealed off when closed. You will caulk on the outside when you remove stripp or caulk over , you will have to remove the silicon you put on, the windows have weep holes at bottom so water will run out make sure holes are open they could be stopped up could let water run inside wall it will let water run down wall to carpet, be sure check top of slide it has trim edges that could need caulking it will let water run down wall to the carpet in between the walls . I have had a slide that leaked around the window because they did not put caulking around before they installed at factory, and on the metal edges or angles that I spoke of. I hope this will help you, if you don't stop you will get eat up with mold, because I have been there!
Luckybuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
trueweb

Joe,

Which floor is wet? The floor of the slide or the floor in the main room? Perhaps it's both? Usually the elevation of the slide floor is slightly higher than the main floor.

If the slide floor is wet you have a leak in the slide assembly somewhere, there are literally 10s to 100s of places for that water to get in

If the Main floor is wet and the slide is dry then you probably have a leak around the slide opening. Be careful here since the carpet touching will transfer water vertically so water coming in on the main floor can wick up through the carpet into the slide making it damp. To test this put some plastic between the slide carpet and floor carpet where it overlaps, if the slide stays dry and the floor is wet then you likely have a leak in the opening.

Something to explore anyway that may save you time when you go to fix the leak.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Campin_Joe

It is definitely the slide. The carpet is only wet in the corner of both slide outs and damp in other areas that are against the outer wall of the slides. I had to shampoo carpets last year do to a musty smell from this issue.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #7
Agram1

Please keep us posted. Will be very useful info as I just bought the 2015 31RBDS. We have camped once with rain and no issues but would be interested for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Loom24

I had the same issue with my 2014 hideout. Had to reseal the lower part of the slide as previously mentioned. It worked so far. Unfortunately keystone didn't seem to care too much.
Loom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
Campin_Joe

Keystone was very helpful and found me a closer dealer to me to fix the problem. Keystone also reassured me that this issue will be resolved even if my warranty expires. I am towing it to the dealer tomorrow for the repair. Fingers crossed that they fix the problem on the first try so I can enjoy the rest of our camping season!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
GaryWT

I had a huge flood last week in heavy rain but I blamed myself. Both slides were out as I was working on the trailer, it started raining so I went in the house, when I returned both slides had leaked, regs wet and water running across the floor. Put down towels and took a look outside. Everything looked good. The issue in believe is I never leveled the trailer so all the rain water flowed again the trailer rather than away. The best rubber seal was not going to keep that water out, never mind if a pine needle was stuck and lifted the rubber. Note to self, close slides if not level. Anyway, dried it out, ran fans for days and all is good.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
dwayneb236

I've been fortunate, My wife and I bought a 31RBDS in 2013 and have had no issues with it. Have camped in the rain a few times, once in 2013 in May/June when the tornadoes came through Oklahoma City, not a drop of water inside, and that was some blowing, nasty rain. Again, we are fortunate, sorry about other's problems though, I do sympathize.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
ErraticAKn

Hideout Slides Leaking

I have the 30RKDS in the PNW through the summer and vouch that the trailer being level will help with rain. In heavy rains or days where rain is called on for days I slightly lower the slide-out side to help drain away. Of course every little thing helps, so make sure the rubber isn't kinked, folded or compromised in any way. Like others have said - check the caulking.

__________ ______ ____ __ _
2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2015 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L EFI
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
www.erraticway.com
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
golfpro

please let us know what they did to correct the problem. also run water on unit before you leave this dealer.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
Campin_Joe

I will definitely update once they make the repair!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
Campin_Joe

**Update

I am going to pickup my camper tomorrow. Problem was during construction some of the screws holding the floor and wall together didn't hit their mark. . The floor was actually loose in a few areas and was allowing water to syphon when it rained. They put all new putty between floor and wall and screwed it down tight.

I will give Keystone a huge kudos as well. The dealership had to scrape all of the silicone off that I was told to put on their by my original dealer I bought it from. This took the repairing dealership a lot more time than was alloted by Keystone. The dealership called Keystone and explained the situation to them and Keystone advised them to fix my camper the way it should have been new and they will cover it. So a huge thank you to Lisa at Keystone warranty department!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
garynshellye

I have a 2017 keystone bullet 269rlswe. Slide is leaking when retracted. Carpet on front corner is soaked and running into the bedroom!
garynshellye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #17
notanlines

Gary, I would recommend starting a fresh thread with a heading of "Leaking slide while retracted." This thread is pretty old.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote