Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #1
flubyu

Broken Wheel Skirting

Hello all, I just got my '11 Premier 31BHPR home and noticed that the wheel well skirting on the slide side is all cracked and loose. Can I get these from Keystone? Most likely will replace both sides when I do it. Thanks in advance.
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
Desert185

Might be a good idea for folks to check theirs. In prepping our's a few days ago for an upcoming trip, I found one missing screw and other loose ones. Had to use a one size larger, 10-32 large head screw to replace the missing one.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
GaryWT

You should be able to get new ones but you might need to go through a dealer. Also, look online as you might find some.

My 2013 has a crack near one of the screws, I have been watching it but so far have not had to do anything with it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
carwheel_09

Have a 2014 Montana and have found screws missing and loose my fenders. Went to local fastener distributer and got some spring steel clips. Backed the screws out put one on the back side and ran the screw back in. Problem solved, I was amazed at how many loose screws I had on my rig.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
cblong

I replaced all the self tapping ones with little machine screws and some locktite haven't had another problem with them since.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
dhn

Have you tried Trekwood?

http://www.trekwood.com/products/211...Gauge-Khaki-BL

http://www.trekwood.com/products/211...e-Champagne-BL

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblong View Post
I replaced all the self tapping ones with little machine screws and some locktite haven't had another problem with them since.
That's my next mod, but I'm going to use stainless hardware with Nyloc nuts. The 10-32 stainless screw was all I had on hand. Next time I go to town...
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You can probably get the fenders from the dealer and they may be available online....but that might be iffy. On our 2014 they had already discontinued the fenders in the original color so they had to order a different color and will paint them.

Fenders are an issue due to the way they are made and installed. I have my 3rd set of fenders waiting back at the dealership when I get back from FL...all replaced under warranty. The design and the way they are attached on mine are a design flaw IMO and so far Keystone keeps replacing them because they keep either coming loose and falling off or cracking. The 2nd set still on the trailer has the problem resolved.

The way Keystone attaches them with the metal screws thru paper thin metal just won't hold up to the vibration. They constantly come loose and then crack the fender or just back out and disappear. On my initial trip home with a new trailer I found nine missing when I got home (60 miles). I proceeded to lose one in the 1st 45 miles on a trip to FL last year and the 2nd had cracked every screw hole by mile 60 and I had to remove it). The dealer cut thin metal strips (2nd try on 2nd set of fenders), put them behind the skirting and screwed the screws thru the fender, skirting and then the metal strip. Seemed to work pretty good but figured they would eventually vibrate loose again and crack the fender so I did the following (among other trial and error things). Under every screw I put an inverted washer (there is a name for them but don't recall at the moment) to spread the pressure from the screw outside the hole in the plastic fender instead of directly into it; I then put 8-32 speed nuts on each screw and tightened them down. The haven't come loose at all and I've now put almost 2000 miles on them. Previously, even with loctite I had them coming loose. I've also used machine screws with washers, lock washers and wingnuts; regular nuts etc.

Another thing that was causing bad vibration on my fenders was the way they were designed. The fenders were cut in the front because it went over the slide and onto the rest of the body. The fender itself was curved outward like a jet engine intake. It took in so much air driving down the highway that it literally tried to peel the fender off. I fabricated metal supports and installed them at the front of each fender to stop the vibration before it started. It has worked very well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
flubyu

Guys, thank you for all the responses. The skirting was there when we left Florida...but by the time I arrived home in Missouri the slide side was flapping in the wind...Agreed with everyone here...this is a major design flaw. I have Trekwood checking for me on availability for a new set.
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is another website that has wheel skirts. It's likely to be half the price of Trekwood, but don't forget to figure in shipping. Keystone skirts start on page 7 I think.

http://www.icondirect.com/categories...eatured&page=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
dooby

Fibreglass

Mine lasted 3 years and then developed cracks around the screw heads. One fender cracked right in half.

I've repaired them with fiberglass cloth and resin. Much stronger than new.
If I had it to do again, I'd coat the entire inside of the fenders when new with FG cloth and resin.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
koko

Ours have cracked multiple times, the first time still under warranty - always on the slide side. Poor design indeed. Now we use black caulk to seal off the crack. Works so far but doesn't look great!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
jsmith948

Took ours off, stop drilled all the cracks then put a layer of Gorilla tape on the back side. Placed rubber washers on each screw between the camper and the fender. So far so good

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here is another website that has wheel skirts. It's likely to be half the price of Trekwood, but don't forget to figure in shipping. Keystone skirts start on page 7 I think.

http://www.icondirect.com/categories...eatured&page=1
I used Icon Direct to replace both fender skirts on my previous camper and was very impressed by the quality...better than the OEM ones that came on my Dutchmen. I used a roofing metal screw/rubber washer combo with a small hex head. Lowes carries them in white or black, looked real good when completed. Can't find it on Lowes website, but here is a link on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3811749...lpid=82&chn=ps
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #15
Desert185

That might work well for where the wheelwell skirting attaches to an underlying wood structure, but maybe not last very long where it attaches to thin gauge metal sheeting. I've noticed the plastic skirting moving around alot during a tow, especially on the driver's side of my SRX where it screws into the sheet metal lowers.

I just stop-drilled some cracks and replaced what I could with all stainless, 8-32x3/4" machine screws, flat washers and nyloc nuts. Overall, its a pretty flimsy design. Someone suggested a fiberglas backing to the skirting, which I think is the final solution.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
My 2013 has a crack near one of the screws, I have been watching it but so far have not had to do anything with it.
I saw this on my 2014 as well. Too weird it was only one screw. Mine is on the portion that attaches to the slideout, which seemingly doesn't look to have had a lot of time spent on engineering it. It looks fine, but when you look up close, you think why didn't they do this or that?, with regards to how the pieces are trimmed or the lack thereof.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

We noticed after one of our trip we had our skirt flapping in the wind. After checking the screws all around I noticed most were very loose. Some of the holes were even stripped and the screw was just sitting there for cosmetic looks. I decided a small bolt and nut with a lock washer would work fine and so i replaced them..Now they stay tight

-2013 F350 Lariat turbo diesel 6.7,
B&W companion hitch, 18k
-2013 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #18
cw3jason

I used #8 flat speed nuts. You can get them at any hdwr store around .33cents a piece

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #19
Shadowcats

Yup, both of mine broke out through WY on the way to Reno. Used duct tape and self tap screws to fix it and replaced a couple of others. Contacted Keystone when I got back...going to take it to a dealer near future. Should be covered, but we'll see. Can't believe only one little screw holding it to the bracket. There were other holes, but only one used. Mine were flapping like a bird...wind in WY is really something. When I get them replaced will add at least three more screws and maybe some glue too. With all of us having problems you'd think they'd replace a bad design????
Old 06-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
Shadowcats

Keystone came through with new skirts! I reinforced with some fiberglass/bondo...used heavy duty double stick tape on all screw areas. Also used some black windshield glue on a few places. Had to cut one for the tip-out and used the glue on the edges. It looks great (if I do say so myself) and much stronger the the original. Oh the things we learn with TTs.