Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Junkinduck

Second AC on 305TG

We are getting ready to take the new to us fifth wheel to Cape Hatters this June. Up to this point we had a 30' Fleetwood Mallard TT no slides and it was always comfortable in the summer with one 13000 BTU. I am concerned that the 13000 on the Laredo won't be sufficient in the heat and humidity of Hatters. More area and higher ceiling in the new rig.
It was not ordered with the 15000 AC. My options as I see them are: do nothing and see what happens, replace the existing with a 15000 BTU, adding an additional non ducted to the front bedroom like the polar cub 9000 BTU, or using a portable unit. Any help or anyone weighing in options appreciated.

I am currently leaning to the additional unit in the front bedroom and powering it with an independent 110V feed run to the front storage area. This would allow me to run it with a small 2000 watt generator when dry camping at night.
My concerns are: will the roof support the 90# of the unit, can I get the power pulled between the celling and the roof to the front cabinet and run it down the closet to the basement under the bed room, put a breaker in a box to feed the 110V, will the thermostats fight one another. The front of the camper slopes down slightly will I need to build a shim to level the unit and how will I seal it?
The 2010 305TG doesn't appear to have been included with any wiring for this.

Thanks for any opinions good or bad.
Junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am not familiar with the trailer you mention or technically how you would wire in a 2nd AC....but;

I think you need to consider your use of the trailer beyone the Cape Hatteras trip. Where is it going to be most of the time? Will it be hot and humid or in cooler climates? If you will always be going to where it is hot you might want to seriously consider doing what's required to put in the 2nd AC.

In my trips to Hatteras, about the same time of year as you plan, the wind seemed to always be blowing to some degree. Depending on where you are you will have water on one or both sides. The days get warm enough to sweat a little if you're bustling around. The evenings kind of cool down, I guess because it's right on the water and the breeze cools it off. It's not like being inland in wet country. Most of the time I don't think you would need a 2nd AC but that all depends on how you like to sleep, how the weather is at that time etc.

When I bought our new trailer earlier this year I had a 2nd AC installed. Due to where/when we camp I've turned it on once. Just something to think about.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
KanTC

Junkinduck,

The 15,000 btu A/C was an "Option/Upgrade" in 2010. The wiring/framing for 2nd A/C, and 50 amp service was only
available (as part of the Bigger is Better Pkg) on specific models ~~ those listed: 310, 316, 318, 321, 326.
Our Laredo wasn't part of that select group either, so we added a Maxx-Air 12v fan in the bedroom instead!

2010 Laredo Brochure http://www.keystonerv.com/media/6994...e_0810_web.pdf

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure but hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Junkinduck

I realize the electric system wouldn't handle the additional unit. My plan if I go that route is to put an additional 110 feed with its own breaker and pigtale in the storage compartment under the bedroom. Most places we camp have the combination 50/30/20 power feed. I would plug in to the 20A receptacle.
My main concern is if there are any issues with the roof support.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how much difference it would really make to go from the 13000 to the 15000 and if this is a good option or waste of money for the return.

Did the max air really help and how did you wire it? I would like to add one to bunk house if nothing else.

And to sourdoughs point I had not really thought about how it would impact the rest of the time we spend in the camper. I also appreciate the fact that you have been there. All we have heard is how hot and humid it is there. I'm scared that our first beach camping trip will be miserable without the additional cooling. You have eased my concerns a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Junkinduck

If the trailer wasn't pre-wired for the 2nd AC I doubt that the roof is supported for it (I could be wrong). My trailer has a 15k unit in the living area and a 13.5 in the bedroom. Your best option may be to upgrade to the 15 and just use a box fan if required.

The humidity probably could become an issue but when we've been there it's not as bad as even Dallas in the summer, Louisiana or where my kids live in the FL panhandle. I live in what would be considered a desert with extremely low humidity and hot temps and Hatteras was not the smothering type of heat you find in some other places. I'm sure that can change so be prepared.

I don't want to make you feel like you don't need to upgrade something because I think you do. A 13.5 AC in a camper as big as yours is going to be hard pressed in any kind of hot weather IMO.

I DO know that you are going to a beautiful place so be sure and allow time to run up and down the outer banks, visit the Wright museum etc., .....make some time to kick back on the beach.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkinduck View Post
My main concern is if there are any issues with the roof support....... Did the max air really help and how did you wire it? I would like to add one to bunk house if nothing else.
We chose the Maxx-Fan 5100K (specifically) based on it's intended location in the front bedroom. The 5100K is an
all-in-one low profile unit, so there's no need to add a roof vent cover & it's only 5" high when closed [less added
to the overall height]. It was installed IPO the existing O/H vent & the power source was a near-by 12v ceiling light.
You may not want/need a low-profile fan in your bunk area, but there are numerous posts on the forum about other brands
& models. We use our 12v fans a lot in spring/fall... much prefer open windows & fresh air "moving" vs closed RV & A/C.

In reference to adding a 2nd A/C -- I don't know that anyone here can tell you how much (& where) "extra bracing"
is added during construction. Manufacturers make a distinction as to whether, or not, the added support is built-in,
so apparently they feel the "extra bracing" is necessary. Personally, I'd be very hesitant to add 90+ lbs of A/C &
test their "engineering theory". May not be an issue right away, but IMHO odds are not in your favor long-term.

Just my 2 cents, of course,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote