Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
twolabcamper

Route 66 Extended Warranty

Hi all,
We are getting close to a purchase. Found a 2014 Springdale 299 FKGL
It has the one year warranty, but the dealer is offering the Route 66 Extended Warranty.
Any feedback good or bad investment?
Do we need the extended warranty?
Thanks!
twolabcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
twolabcamper

I think I found my answer by the searching for the post.
think I'll pass.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I've asked the same question recently. We have the plan, have never used it so don't have any feedback. I think the biggest difference is if you have a member dealership in the areas where you typically travel, it may be beneficial. There are many horror stories of people trying to get repairs from dealerships they did not buy from. I recently ran into trying to get repairs on mine, no route 66 member in the area, first dealership I called was ready to set an appointment, but then asked if I purchased from them. When I said no, their tune changed and they pushed me off 1.5 months for my warranty work. Luckily there is a Camping World 30 miles down the road and they got me in 2 days later. Having a Route 66 network Member Dealer could definitely pay off in that situation.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
bobbecky

If you do purchase an extended warranty, make sure they spell out exactly what they pay and what is excluded. We are having the cooling unit replaced tomorrow on our Norcold fridge. The warranty outfit required a visit by an independent inspector to verify the issue is real. They did approve the repair, approximately $2K, part and labor, but the repair guy called and said they wouldn't pay for the additional service call with the inspector, and they won't pay for the sales tax. No where in the paperwork does it say any of this. I'm not complaining, got four more years on this policy, and likely will use it again and more than get the total premium back in work. Just beware.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolabcamper View Post
I think I found my answer by the searching for the post.
think I'll pass.
As you may have already discovered through your search, there have been "volumes" written here about extended warranties. Just type in "extended warranty" and you can see the number of threads available for you to read through.

Some buy them and have found that they have, over the long run, come in handy and actually saved them some money. Others don't bother with them at all. A few set aside a weekly/monthly sum of money to be used in the event of a possible future repair or replacement.

As you can see, there are a few options out there for you to consider.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
bobbecky

As an update on our extended warranty covered fridge cooling unit replacement, on a Norcold 1210, the part alone was just under $1600, and labor was $660. Total bill was a few cents shy of $2500, so our share, deductable plus tax, shipping, and an additional service call was only $350, so I'm happy. We have almost recovered the initial cost of our extended warranty plan, with almost four years to go.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
twolabcamper

Maybe we will just keep our pop up...
Nah. wife wants a new rig!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
mazboy123

extended warranties are a waste of money.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote