Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Challenged

If there is cable TV, can I get internet?

My site has cable TV but I haven't used it. Their WiFi is terrible. Does the existence of the cable mean Internet is possible?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're in a site for an extended time, you might want to talk to the cable company that provides service to the campground. There are several distribution systems and many different ways to lay out the cable system within the campground. Depending on filters, traps, amplifiers and the recent addition of "HDTV" converter subscription boxes on some systems, it may no longer be as simple as "hooking up a modem and registering it to the cable provider's system.

The campground may have a restriction that prevents you from using their cable system for "private purposes". The cable company may have a service obligation with the campground that prevents them from connecting and selling services on the campground's cable system.

The best way to approach it would be to talk to the campground owner/manager and then to the cable provider.

If you're not going to be connected to the system for an extended period of time, the connection fees, service fees, purchase/rental of the modem and any associated charges may make it cost prohibitive for a short time frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
wayfun

At our place in Florida basic cable is provided in our condo fee and is provided by Comcast. Any upgrades to the basic service are the individuals responsibility. I've opted for 25meg internet and a DVR.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

When my buddy was living in his Montana, he said the WiFi was real weak and the cable was spotty at best. They ended up using a cell phone as a "hot spot". I'm throwing it out there as an option

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When my buddy was living in his Montana, he said the WiFi was real weak and the cable was spotty at best. They ended up using a cell phone as a "hot spot". I'm throwing it out there as an option
I'd like to piggyback on your suggestion. As stated by others getting cable broadband at a campsite will have a ton logistics involved and combine that with the basic infrastructure needed by the campsite and how close that campsite is to cable provides infrastructure that provides internet access would also be an issue. A cable modem will set you back about 100 dollars at best buy but you won't have any assurances that it will work when you get there.

If you expect to be in some questionable service mobile phone areas. I highly recommend this item but I think you will find that cell sites have risen up in a lot of off the beaten path locations now.

Wilson Electronics Sleek 4G - Vehicle Cellular Signal Booster for Single User

If I am not flying out to a customer site I am work from home. So this summer we took out TH out around the SE to get our kids some exposure to the rest of our country.

After hitting a few low signal areas in my home state I started looking for something to boost my phone and my 4g mifi signal. I have a background in IT and RF comms and knowing what it takes to get a solid connection I approached this device with some skepticism.

The kit comes with an antenna that has a magnetic base that is very strong so you can use this in the vehicle while on the move and we did just that on a few occasions.

You can get higher gain antennas which would help boost your signal but I found that the one included in the package was plenty helpful in the woods and mountains.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
Scttw

^^^^^

Very interesting ......

Where my trailer is parked full time 1 of my phones gets great signal - even inside my trailer .... but my work phone which has my data package sucks for 4g and signal. I have to go outside and sit in the middle of my deck generally. I hot spot for use with my laptop so typically my phone is on my deck in cooler weather while I am bluetoothing off hotspot from inside.

This unit seems like it would solve the issue ....

Can I ask you to describe in laymen terms exactly what the setup is .... NON VEHICLE. So what exactly is plugged into what, and how easy would it be to move it from inside to outside on the go .... ???

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
^^^^^

Very interesting ......

Where my trailer is parked full time 1 of my phones gets great signal - even inside my trailer .... but my work phone which has my data package sucks for 4g and signal. I have to go outside and sit in the middle of my deck generally. I hot spot for use with my laptop so typically my phone is on my deck in cooler weather while I am bluetoothing off hotspot from inside.

This unit seems like it would solve the issue ....

Can I ask you to describe in laymen terms exactly what the setup is .... NON VEHICLE. So what exactly is plugged into what, and how easy would it be to move it from inside to outside on the go .... ???

Thanks in advance.

Scott
The kit comes with a cig adapter for the car but I used the USB power from my laptop to power it and my phone but you could just as easily use a wall plug usb adapter. The phone would sit in a cradle and the antenna comes with an antenna on a 12' to 16' RG cable with an sma adapter that screws in to the cradle. The cradle has a usb port on it as well to pass power through to the phone or 4g puck if needed.

I have actially had this set up with 16000 mah battery as well which powered my phone and the signal booster for an entire work day.

Find a high spot to place the antenna and you'll get even better performance. I usually pass it though a window or through gaskets of the slide out or a high spot inside the camper.

There are permanent mount kits you can use to install on the roof that have a higher gain antenna. I wouldn't get too carried away with the gain though as the cell site can command the phone or hotspot to lower power if it comes in too hot.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Scttw

Excellent info- thank you!
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Challenged

What happened

I took someone's advice and asked the office if the cable carried internet. They said no, but they said each site has a phone line with DSL. They said it is $40 a month and $25 installation. They guy comes by and just hands me the modem and say go to Radio Shack and get phone cables (some installation). In an hour I had decent internet. I guess just ask is the good advice.