Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
dieselsmoke

winterizing mod on hideout

I just wanted to show a before and after pic of a quick fix I made today on my 2014 hideout 298bhds. Today when I opened the access panel on the inside of the camper I found that there was no way to introduce antifreeze into the system without getting to the pump which is impossible without removing the basement wall. So with 3 bucks worth of parts I cut the line, added a male and female fitting that I can now use a washing machine hose so the pump can pull antifreeze into the system. There is no other way to do it (that I can find) without pouring antifreeze into the tank or taking the basement wall apart and crawling in there. If someone knows a better way, Im all ears, but this worked for me, cost 3 bucks and took 5 minutes. Maybe I can save someone the agony of the crawling through the basement. I would have used a bypass valve like on the hot water heater but couldn't find one locally. As long as my connections are tight and I carry an extra washer with me I don't really see any problems with this setup. I wonder if they didn't add this at the factory so that people get fed up and bring it in for the $150 winterizing fee. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_114529.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	7351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_132846 (2).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	7353  

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
GaryWT

We have to do what we have to do. I have to take a fitting off a hose and connect it to my short hose and connect it back to the pump. The pump and fitting does not allow both at the same time. We all find our work a rounds. Glad you found one.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
SkiSmuggs

I just went through the basement crawl and see what you did there. I have been disconnecting and connecting at the water pump, so I will have to look for opportunities. However, I have to remove the wall just to bypass the hot water heater anyway. Even if I can avoid crawling into the basement for the water pump, it will be a big improvement. I can reach the bypass without crawling in.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
clewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke View Post
I just wanted to show a before and after pic of a quick fix I made today on my 2014 hideout 298bhds. Today when I opened the access panel on the inside of the camper I found that there was no way to introduce antifreeze into the system without getting to the pump which is impossible without removing the basement wall. So with 3 bucks worth of parts I cut the line, added a male and female fitting that I can now use a washing machine hose so the pump can pull antifreeze into the system. There is no other way to do it (that I can find) without pouring antifreeze into the tank or taking the basement wall apart and crawling in there. If someone knows a better way, Im all ears, but this worked for me, cost 3 bucks and took 5 minutes. Maybe I can save someone the agony of the crawling through the basement. I would have used a bypass valve like on the hot water heater but couldn't find one locally. As long as my connections are tight and I carry an extra washer with me I don't really see any problems with this setup. I wonder if they didn't add this at the factory so that people get fed up and bring it in for the $150 winterizing fee. Any ideas?
I had to do similar in my Hideout 27dps, think my parts were about $7.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote