Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Sivymp1

Covers

So I have been looking at covers for the upcoming winter to cover our 32' Passport. Some reviews are good and some are bad. I can't decide. Not sure if I want to spend the money on something that will not last. If I dont use a cover should I raise the camper enough that the water doesnt sit on top and drains off?
1976 Jayco
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

There's lots of discussions about covers. I always raise the front of mine a bit more to help with runoff.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Unless you have the top of the cover adequately sloped all around it is difficult to prevent rainwater from pooling somewhere on the cover. If yours is the breathable type, any water that collects in pools on the cover, will seep through onto the roof since this type of cover is not waterproof. Water resistant perhaps but not water proof.

Covers will not last forever and some are toast after the first year. If you take precautions to ensure all the sharp corners on the RV are covered over with some kind of foam or ????, holes in these areas will appear. Sunlight/UV rays play havoc with most covers as does wind. Consider yourself lucky if you get 2-4 years out of a cover.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
MISailor

We use a PermaPro cover from Classic Accessories. Festus is correct that you are lucky to get 2+ years from one. The good news on our case is that Classic Accessories has been AWESOME in honoring their 4 yr warrantee. In fact, we're on our third one of their covers but we've only paid for one of them. The first one failed after about 2 years (we cover year-round) and they replaced it. The replacement cover also began to degrade within its warrantee period so they replaced it too. .

Since our TT is small, the AC unit raises the center of the cover such that it has a pretty good pitch in all directions to facilitate rain run-off, that is until winter comes and the snow pushes it down to the roof.

I know that there are strong opinions on each side of the cover issue. I decided to cover because I hated what the sun did to my last TT. I've devised a method that allows me to cover and uncover by myself in about 20 minutes without having to get on the roof, so it's worth the effort IMHO.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
airforceret

I live in Northern Indiana in the lake effect snow belt and pretty cold winters. My last cover was an ADCO Aquashed. I used it for 10 years, sold the camper, then sold the cover for about 1/2 of what I originally paid for it.

My new 5er is currently covered for the winter with ... you got it. a new ADCO Aquashed cover. If you install them correctly, take reasonable care of them when not in use, they do last a long time.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
gearhead

Cut tennis balls on those gutter extensions helps some.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote