Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Micablue10

Question Heated Water Hoses

Hi All,

I have another question. A friend suggested I get a heated fresh water hose and I've found two, the Pirit 25' and the Camco 22902 (also a 25'). I've read some forum posts and many reviews on the products and have found most have mixed views on them. I am in need of something simple that is reliable. The idea of wrapping with foam and HT sounds cumbersome and honestly, I'm not sure if I would put it together properly in the first place.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the two heated hoses mentioned above? Most posts I've seen are from several years ago.

Thanks!
Micablue10
Micablue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
GaryWT

How much camping will you be doing in the winter and where. I have never looked into them as we usually only camp to the mid to end of October. It can get to freezing but not long enough to be an issue. Are you going someplace long term.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Javi

We've used the Pirit for a couple of years now. Our favorite camping is in the winter down here and you never know what the weather is gonna do. A water hose laid out on the ground in 30 degree weather won't freeze if you're using it but let it sit without the water flowing and it will when the temps drop to 15 - 20 degrees about midnight. And you really never know how cold it will drop in the bottoms where they stick most of the campgrounds around here.

I used to make sure the fresh water tank had water and disconnect and drain the water hose every night but with the Pirit I don't worry about it. I just throw it in the camper for the winter and take it out in the spring.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Lee

Not meaning to thread Jack this thread but here's a story about the importance of hose maintenance in freezing weather. My co-worker friend went up into the mountains a few winters ago with 2 friends for an elk hunt. They were staying in a full service camp site and one morning they woke up to go hunting and discovered that there was no water coming out the faucet as the garden hose outside was frozen. Long story short is,..... someone left the kitchen faucet on, .... and they left for a day of hunting. While they were out the temps rose and the garden hose thawed out. When they returned that evening after dark they found water running out the front door of the TT

The hose thawed, ... kitchen faucet on, ... filled up the gray tank, ... filled up the sink, ... and tried to fill up the TT.

Ouch!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micablue10 View Post
Hi All,

I have another question. A friend suggested I get a heated fresh water hose and I've found two, the Pirit 25' and the Camco 22902 (also a 25'). I've read some forum posts and many reviews on the products and have found most have mixed views on them. I am in need of something simple that is reliable. The idea of wrapping with foam and HT sounds cumbersome and honestly, I'm not sure if I would put it together properly in the first place.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the two heated hoses mentioned above? Most posts I've seen are from several years ago.

Thanks!
Micablue10
I have used a heated hose for two winters on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada with only one problem. the metal nut that screws into the tap outlet (from an insulated post in the campsite) is where I have experienced some freezing. Probably I should have wrapped a little insulation around this nut but just used a hair dryer to thaw it. After that I left a tap drizzling in the trailer (and the grey water tank valve open so the tank wouldn't fill overnight). No further problems. I believe the brand I use is Pirit (25') and I recommend it.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
bobbecky

Last winter, we were just north of Kansas City, and the temps were getting down to the low teens. The RV park, Basswood, had heat tape on the faucet and riser, and we had our Pirit hose, both plugged in and the top of the riser wrapped with insulation and covered with a plastic bag. We never had a problem with freezing, had water the entire time we were there. Just make sure the temperature sensor attached to the hose is exposed to the cold, or it won't turn on the built in heat wire. Also, in extreme cold, it is not wise to leave any drains open as the water draining will freeze inside the hose and eventually will freeze closed and could fill the tank to overflowing if left long enough.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Micablue10

Smile

Hey GaryWT,

I will actually be staying in it long term. Will be leaving it in one spot for almost two years. Looking at going home most weekends and over major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc...). Will be winterizing as well.

Thanks!
Micablue10
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Micablue10

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the input on the heated hoses. It's been very helpful. It's going to be cold were I will be and I'll be there the majority of the winter. Any advice is very welcomed!

Thank you!
Micablue10
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
DavidinTexas

This all good stuff about getting water INTO a camper - what about getting it OUT?
Thanks!
DavidinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
mikell

Get cheap connector to connect to your outlet and cut it to match real drain pipe in the shortest run possible to the drain.

Run heat tape along the bottom and wrap with foil bubble wrap

We leave our valves open all winter and have had no issues I believe the shower keeps the pipes clean.

Where ever your moving there will be lots of people to help you out
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micablue10 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!
Micablue10
Hi Mica,

My winter hose is a simple 50 foot length that is wrap with heat tape then wrap with 1 inch pipe wrap insulation and covered with duck tape. I have stayed in the 4 corners area (and Farmington NM) many winters while hooked up to water supply and never had an issue but I'm also protecting the frost free yard hydrant if its available with heat tape too. My hose rolls up pretty good for storage.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
geo

As usual, I seem to be different. I have a Conrad E-Hose. I like it because one can order it and specify which end the plug goes on! I chose to have the plug at the male end since that is right next to the outlet to plug in to! Yes, it seems a little more expensive than the Pirit. I especially like the Conrad hose since it can be ordered in custom lengths.

I also have heated tanks - black, gray, and fresh. During the coldest weather (12F / -11C) last year, I closed the gray tank valve and only drained it once a day. That way, the gray water was not constantly flowing through the waste pipe and when it did flow, it was warmed.

Like Mikell, during the winter, I open the utility basement area and place an oil-filled heater on low wattage in the basement area to warm it. So far, the basement has yet to drop below 48F (9C).

With the warmed basement and the warmed input hose, and heat-taped, wrapped water bib, there was no time when we experienced a freeze-up. I can't say the same about the Cambridge next to us - I loaned him a hose when his was frozen solid.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
BulletOwner1

I have no experience with the factory heated hoses. I do think they are better than the HT/wrap solution though.

We experienced below 0 weather in Fernley, NV last year and the solution that worked best was to fill the fresh water tank as needed, disconnecting the water hose each time. Would dump the tanks as needed also. If I had left the water dripping and the gray tank open the hose would have frozen solid. It did happen to some in the park. That's really when things become difficult. Even when you do have water you can't use it.

With the heated water hose you really shouldn't have problems unless it gets really cold. Then all bets are off.