Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
fibromob

hot water smell

I have seen someone talking about hot water smelling like sewage and this season mine was the same
I read all the reason and advice but did not see the one I used last weekend
someone told me at the camp site to cut the rod from the drain cap on the hot water tank
It sounded stupid and did not believe it could work but did it as the smell was pretty bad

sure enough the minute I refilled it the smell was gone
nothing anymore
so if you have that problem
pull the drain plug on the hot water tank and see if the Rod is still attached to the cap
it is like a foot long rod the size of a dime
I cut it with a axe saw like nothing
fibromob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
jsmith948

That rod is your sacrificial anode that is there to protect the tank from corrosion. I would replace it with a new rod.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

This is a bad idea for the reason jsmith says. You cut the rod off and the inside of your tank will be destroyed. If the rod is the cause, replace it.

I wonder if dipping the rod in bleeach and rinsing it before putting it back in would kill whatever is causing the smell?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
KanTC

If you haven't done so already, replace the anode rod... your water heater is designed to have one.
They're inexpensive, and usually available at most RV dealers or stores that RV supplies (maybe even WalMart, etc).

Replace the anode rod as part of your annual maintenance routine. Also, clean/flush the tank interior at least once
a year (minimum)... more often if you live/travel in areas with hard water (heavy minerals).

Not everyone uses the same routine, but we drain the water heater after every trip.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

The rotten egg smell associated with RV HW heaters can be attributed to a number of causes:
1) chemicals used in water treatment
2) natural minerals and bacteria
3) contamination.

In some cases, the bacteria formed reacts with certain types of anodes; magnesium or aluminium and produces hydrogen sulfide gas (aka rotten egg smell). All anodes are not the same and will react differently. Anodes made of pure aluminium are the worst culprits and will stink. A combination of aluminium and magnesium are a better choice and either one of these two with zinc added would be the best bet.

The next time you need to replace your anode, try to replace it with one that has some zinc in it.

If your tank smells, drain and sanitize it, drain and refill with fresh water.

I would not recommend removing the anode from your Suburban HW tank. It is there for a very good reason - to prevent the inside lining of your tank from being "eaten". The anode by itself is not the root cause of the smell. There are other things going on inside the tank that, in combination with the anode, might cause the smell.

Interesting that Atwood HW tanks have no anode, can smell like rotten eggs too. If it is the anode alone that is the cause, how would that explain why Atwood tanks are subject to and have the same smell??

Bottom line? Replace the anode with one that has zinc and drain and sanitize your tank every so often. Don't leave water sitting in it for weeks on end. Using the tank water and keeping a "fresh supply" of water flowing through it helps.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
fibromob

I will replace it but the smell disappeared the minute i did so .
at least ,I can live until I buy a other one.
I get the anode thing as it is the same on out drive units for boats
Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
fibromob

one thing I noticed is the anode was chewed at the plug for a half inch in length and 1/8 deep
the minute I cut it off the smell was gone
I ran the hot water for a full hour to flush it off and the smell was there even running cold water through it
I know it sound weird but many people told me the same thing at the camp site and they where right
the smell got away instantly
I will go buy one with the zink as suggested
Old 06-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

There is a photo of a member's anode in a similar thread running on the forum which he described as being covered with a "jelly-like substance" and I am wondering if this is some form of algae that has grown on the anode and is causing the smell rather than the anode itself?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
fibromob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
There is a photo of a member's anode in a similar thread running on the forum which he described as being covered with a "jelly-like substance" and I am wondering if this is some form of algae that has grown on the anode and is causing the smell rather than the anode itself?
being from the north my trailer is winterized each winter and tank drained
but the first 2 years ,the trailer was in Key West Florida and I noticed the previous owner had hard water problems
could be a problem that was created down south
the anode was clean looking except for the corrosion at the plug .
It smelled running cold water through the system even after a full hour

if anyone has a problem like that .replace the anode would be a good place to start
Old 06-27-2014, 03:10 AM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

With or without a HWH that uses an anode rode, the problem can simply come from the water supply.

As indicated earlier the sulphur content of the water is what causes it... Exacerbated by letting the water "sit" for a while in the tank.

Many campgrounds are on well-water, which is notoriously high in mineral content.

A bleach/sanitize and flush is generally all that's required to resolve the issue.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
belgian

Make sure you completely drain the hot water heater after every camping trip by pulling the anode out. This will keep calcium from building up in the heater and prolong the life of the anode.
belgian is offline   Reply With Quote