Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
broncos5667

No power to jacks

I have a 2010 Fuzion fifthwheel toyhauler. My jacks have lost power and then my power converter blew. Ive replaced my converter but still no power to the jacks. Can anyone give me some ideas?
broncos5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There is a 30A fuse which may be located in the wiring harness not far from the battery which may have blown. The fuse could be wrapped in the flexible, coiled wiring wrap so it may not be visible to you. If you can't find the fuse it may be a resettable 30A circuit breaker type of "fuse".
Locate the fuse and check it out as a first step. Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
belgian

I had a similar problem with my '11 Avalanche. Kept blowing fuses. My dealer said that they had some problems with them. Avalanche and your model may have used the same jack motor. If it's not the fuse have the motor checked. Good luck, hand cranking sucks.
belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
broncos5667

Thanks for the advice... So far I have replaced my power converter, several fuses (one being behind the breaker box where I also found my power converter). I finally had power to everything including my landing gear motor. When I Extended the legs, the motor would bog down and blow fuses. A dealer in town said it sounds like the motor could be going out. I just received the new motor today and after installing it, it's doing the same thing.... Any ideas on this?
broncos5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

bronco5667 -
With your 5th wheel hooked up to the truck and all the weight on the hitch, I'd try raising and lowering the jacks. You can manually move the inside column up and down. They would, in this case, be operating with no load on them. They should move freely up and down without binding or "bogging down". If they do, then I would suspect that one (or both) of the inner and outer sleeves is bent or misaligned and; at some point, binding on its travel. While the 5th wheel is sitting hitched to the truck, open the door to the motor and landing gear, press the switch and observe how the motor is turning. It should be at right angles to the gear box - not at an angle.

If both legs/jacks travel smoothly in both directions with no load, then unhitch the 5th wheel and let it sit on the jacks. Now try raising the unit and see if it travels smoothly or if you can see any place along its travel where it seems to "catch or bind" and cause the motor to slow down. This could indicate that it is binding on the way up (or down) and the two legs are out of alignment.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are a couple of links to previous threads with much the same symptoms. Possibly you can get some ideas from them....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ing+gear+motor

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ing+gear+motor

There was also a thread that I can't find right now, where the factory (or a dealer) modified the 30 amp fuse line to the jack motor and replaced it with two fuses in parallel with each other. The reasoning and the impact of how it worked escapes me right now, but if I can find that thread, it had a wealth of information.

One of the "biggie" issues to prevent blown fuses was properly greasing the front jack gear boxes and motor drive.
Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Stupid question, but it's been done before so I'll ask. Do you have your rear stabilizers up? If not they will be preventing the rear from dropping as you extend the front legs forcing the motor to lift the entire trailer instead of pivot it at the axle.

Another possibility is the landing gear being bent causing drag and binding.

Finally, what is the voltage going into the motor? If you have an under voltage situation, that will cause excessive heat in the motor and reduced power.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote