Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Jager

2008 Fuzion w/ bad Rockford Fosgate Stereo

Not sure where to post this. I did do a search for Rockford Fosgate and stereo issues but didn't find anything related to this.

I have a 2008 Fuzion 302 Touring Edition (nearly identical to current 310 model). It has the Rockford Fosgate stereo system in it. This system provides ALL the audio in the camper. If we listen to the radio, either inside or out the unit does that. If we listen to the iPod it does that (has a real iPod cable). If we watch a DVD and listen to home theater it does that. Our unit has both inside and outdoor radio controls too.

Anyway this unit has always been a little difficult to control. There just seem to be too many things it does and it seems to get confused about what it is doing. Well not it is pretty much completely messed up.

I can get it to play the radio for a while, but it won't allow outdoor control any more. I can no longer get it to select different play lists on my iPod. Yes I know the newer iPods and OS's can cause issues but it doesn't work on my older ones either. It also will not play the home theater either.

I'm above average in my understanding of audio systems and have spent a good deal of time messing around with this thing so I'm sure it is the head unit or associated amps.

My question is this, does anyone know of a good replacement for this system? I'd rather not get the same thing because I basically feel it is a piece of junk, an after thought Keystone requested. I would like to get something that is plug and play if possible (with the possible exception of the outside control unit.

Does anyone know of a good replacement unit that does all this?

Has anyone replaced their unit with separate components/systems? What did you use and how do you share the same speakers?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Moderator's Note - Moved post to this section - deals with stereos and other "high tech" items
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Not sure where to post this. I did do a search for Rockford Fosgate and stereo issues but didn't find anything related to this.

I have a 2008 Fuzion 302 Touring Edition (nearly identical to current 310 model). It has the Rockford Fosgate stereo system in it. This system provides ALL the audio in the camper. If we listen to the radio, either inside or out the unit does that. If we listen to the iPod it does that (has a real iPod cable). If we watch a DVD and listen to home theater it does that. Our unit has both inside and outdoor radio controls too.

Anyway this unit has always been a little difficult to control. There just seem to be too many things it does and it seems to get confused about what it is doing. Well not it is pretty much completely messed up.

I can get it to play the radio for a while, but it won't allow outdoor control any more. I can no longer get it to select different play lists on my iPod. Yes I know the newer iPods and OS's can cause issues but it doesn't work on my older ones either. It also will not play the home theater either.

I'm above average in my understanding of audio systems and have spent a good deal of time messing around with this thing so I'm sure it is the head unit or associated amps.

My question is this, does anyone know of a good replacement for this system? I'd rather not get the same thing because I basically feel it is a piece of junk, an after thought Keystone requested. I would like to get something that is plug and play if possible (with the possible exception of the outside control unit.

Does anyone know of a good replacement unit that does all this?

Has anyone replaced their unit with separate components/systems? What did you use and how do you share the same speakers?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Moderator's Note - Moved post to this section - deals with stereos and other "high tech" items
Did you ever find a replacement for yours? I just bought an 09 Fuzion 402 and have already noticed that my head unit is buggy and the amp will not power on. I can't find the inline fuse for the amp and trying to control the head unit is like getting my teen son to pay attention
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Pulln

Still looking myself and my RF head unit seems to be going blind on the face place. Now it only lights up and doesnt display menu/text. If connected to the tv and a DVD or ipod is connected it will pass through the menu related items for each input.

The buttons on the face plate work but not properly, example volume from the face plate on turns volume up... even when you are pressing the vol down button.

I'd really like to buy a new head hunt and would greatly appreciate any feedback. I am looking for something that will play dvd, with a/v input and output and if possible the ability to play mpeg, avi, mkv etc... from thumb drive.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
sbmarks3

same issue

I also have the same type of problem in my 09 Fuzion 403. First it would take a DVD and play it but would not eject it, I finally got the movie back out of it by pressing the reset with a pin. Also the Amp would not work, I trouble shot the amp issue, as it turned out it was not getting enough power from the head unit to turn on, it would barely light up a 12 volt tester. To solve this I ran a power lead through a lighted switch and down to the AMP. So now I turn the amp on manually and at a glance can see if it is on. The newest problem is the head unit won't power up unless I insert a disk or plug the ipod into it.
I agree that the fosgate units they put in the Fuzions are junk or at least the 08 and 09 models seem to be. I will also research for a better unit and post what I find. After I finish the underbelly project. Thanks for starting this post.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
rnkburg

I have always had good luck with alpine products for car stereo for what its worth

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmarks3 View Post
I also have the same type of problem in my 09 Fuzion 403. First it would take a DVD and play it but would not eject it, I finally got the movie back out of it by pressing the reset with a pin. Also the Amp would not work, I trouble shot the amp issue, as it turned out it was not getting enough power from the head unit to turn on, it would barely light up a 12 volt tester. To solve this I ran a power lead through a lighted switch and down to the AMP. So now I turn the amp on manually and at a glance can see if it is on. The newest problem is the head unit won't power up unless I insert a disk or plug the ipod into it.
I agree that the fosgate units they put in the Fuzions are junk or at least the 08 and 09 models seem to be. I will also research for a better unit and post what I find. After I finish the underbelly project. Thanks for starting this post.
Yeah man I swear that these HU's are haunted. I fixed the amp power issue by inserting the power wire in to the the wired remote cable on the back side of the head unit. I found a 12v source on it that comes on when the HU is powered up and kills power when the HU is powered off. I basically twisted the wire from the amp tight enough to stick it in the pin hole on that dongle hanging out the back of the HU then I wrapped the wire in electrical tape.

Like you I have had trouble with the DVD insert/eject as well as the display not functioning properly. Thankfully I was able to learn the button patterns in the short time I have owned it and can navigate through most of the commands.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
I have always had good luck with alpine products for car stereo for what its worth

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
I'll check Alpine out. I hope to find something that would work much like a home receiver would. By that I mean I hope to find something that will provide at least one A/V input, ipod compatibility and can play media off of usb.

My wife scored us a great TV from walmart on Black Friday. She intially bought a 32" 720p LED TV for 90 bux as part of their one hour guarantee. Well after a lot of wait and several modifications to the purchase by WalMart they ended up giving us a 39" 1080p LED Vizio which listed or about 390. So now I have some motivation to get the stereo squared away.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Archergodwin

I'm a Pioneer fan from a long time ago. Have installed a few head units. I'm also looking to replace my R/F piece of crap. Would be nice to have a car head unit with HDMI output.. but I can't find any right now, and the price would be pretty prohibitive. But.. the Pioneer AVH-X7500BT would be a good alternative... and with some extra features for your digital goodies. ... composite video out, pre-amps and sub-woofer control... should be able to wire right in place of the rockford/fosgate unit.

Don't forget the stock sub has a switch to turn it off, up on the 'keystone control' panel.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
sbmarks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
I'm a Pioneer fan from a long time ago. Have installed a few head units. I'm also looking to replace my R/F piece of crap. Would be nice to have a car head unit with HDMI output.. but I can't find any right now, and the price would be pretty prohibitive. But.. the Pioneer AVH-X7500BT would be a good alternative... and with some extra features for your digital goodies. ... composite video out, pre-amps and sub-woofer control... should be able to wire right in place of the rockford/fosgate unit.

Don't forget the stock sub has a switch to turn it off, up on the 'keystone control' panel.
You have that right about the RF units being a piece of crap. I also have fond memories of my old Pioneer units, like the super tuner w/cassette, (showing my age). I just looked up the unit that you mentioned, it looks like it runs just under $400 which is not that bad I suppose, and has good reviews. Thank for posting this info

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post

Thanks for the referral on the stereo. There was a time in my life when I was up to speed on stuff like this stuff and I wish I would have kept my skills sharp now.

So the way Keystone wired my amp there is a wife coming from the amp to the power antenna wire. Not sure why but when the radio is powered on it will not command the amp to power on. If I connect that wire from the amp to a 12v power source it will power on. I do know that the switch on the control is switched on but have my multimeter with me to check for power on the contacts.

With the display being dead now and the amp not powering on when the stereo is powered up it is kind of hard to know if they wired it up properly or not but suspect the RF head unit is just a big steamy pile as we have all come to realize.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)