Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
MarkS

Thanks PND,

Some of the things I have read made me wonder if I understood how the pedestal was wired. Also, I was not sure if RV parks typically got residential style split phase or commercial 3 phase from the pole.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
PND

OK. The parks are probably feed 3 phase, then they can be broken down to 3 individual single-phase circuits that are then wired as a split-phase system. By splitting the 3-phase into single-phase circuits, we can balance the load to a degree (never exact, but the best we can). There may also be step-down transformers involved, but I'll keep it simple. If the park was prperly engineered there souldn't be voltage drop problems, but we have to remember, many parks were wired years ago, before we (RV'ers) started adding all our "power hunger" camping toys. You know, all the AC we must have, blenders for those umy drinks, the fireplaces inside (electric of course), hair dryers, TV's and on and on. So many parks are underwired for todays fun, and we get undervoltage and problems.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PND View Post
OK. The parks are probably feed 3 phase, then they can be broken down to 3 individual single-phase circuits that are then wired as a split-phase system. By splitting the 3-phase into single-phase circuits, we can balance the load to a degree (never exact, but the best we can). There may also be step-down transformers involved, but I'll keep it simple. If the park was prperly engineered there souldn't be voltage drop problems, but we have to remember, many parks were wired years ago, before we (RV'ers) started adding all our "power hunger" camping toys. You know, all the AC we must have, blenders for those umy drinks, the fireplaces inside (electric of course), hair dryers, TV's and on and on. So many parks are underwired for todays fun, and we get undervoltage and problems.

PND
PND -

Not to be argumentative, but I tend to doubt if many RV parks would pay the extra to get 208VAC-3Phase. I would suspect that most parks are getting the standard 240VAC-2Phase sine wave AC that you describe.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
PND

That is possible for small parks, but I would be willing to bet that they and the larger ones would be three-phase primaries. There is just too much load for a 240 volt single-phase service and a utility (like mine) wouldn't allow it. You have to remember that they are feed from a min. of a 12Kv distrubution system, and some (like mine) are 26Kv. Three smaller pole top or one 3-phase padmount transformer is cheaper to supply than one large single-phase transformer. Local codes dictate how a park must be wired.

PND
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
PND

You said 208/120 volt and the phrase 240 2-phase. 208/120 is a "Y" connected system. You can get 240/120 from a "delta" system with a center tap on a phase. 2-phase systems have not been around since the 70's. We had some and it is a 4-wire system 90 electrical degrees apart. Our most common is the 3-phase 120 electrical degrees apart. Voltage stays at 120 degrees, but the current can shift in relation to its relative phase. Not uncommon to have a referance of 0 degrees for "A" phase voltage, but 180 degrees of "A" phase current. Welcome to my world.

PND
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
jonbiker

50 amp plug for 30 amp trailer

My experience has been with numerous RV Parks using a 50 amp pigtail for my 30 amp trailer is that I get a higher voltage reading than using a 30 amp Hughes Autoformer. I have 3 voltage meters in the trailer. two digital and one analog. I no longer use the 30 amp cord by itself.
Prior RVs:
2013 Cougar XLite 28SGS 5th Wheel
2003 Tahoe 36' Toyhauler
2004 All American Sport 41' Toyhauler
2009 Glacier Bay 35' 5ver
2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB
2003 Dodge 3500 LB 4x4 5.9L 4.10 Rear 6 spd manual PAC Brake
jonbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
PND

How much of difference is there. Hard to see how this can happen, but would need to know how the pedestals are wired. So many variables that are unknown to make a guess as to why.

PND
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #28
PND

Thinking about it for awhile - if the "park" is feeding the pedestals with different transformers for 30 and 50 amp recepticals, that could account for a difference in voltage between the 30 and 50 amp circuits. Again, without seeing an AC elementary of the location, it is hard to see what is causing the voltage difference. Unless you have a transfomer with boost-buck taps, the voltage will vary between transfomers. I have seen as much as 6 volts difference between transfomers.

PND