Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Dubedubedo

Trailer Hitch

Hi, we have a Keystone 26SAB Fifth Wheel. Would like to add a hitch. Have the info on the Curt 13703 and am not sure if it would clear the bumper. Would like to put a carrier on the back for the generator, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

DON'T DO IT !!!!!

Read the installation instruction on the CURT 13703 paying particular attention to the warning in the rectangular box at the top of the first page.

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._13703_INS.PDF

That warning states:

WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY AUXILIARY STABILIZING STRAPS.

** FAILURE TO PROPERLY SUPPORT NON-TRAILER LOADS WILL VOID PRODUCT WARRANTY**

I'm sure there are some who have "ignored the warning" or "not read the instructions" and haven't had a problem. But that doesn't mean it's safe or that CURT engineered their product for the purpose you want to use it for.

Since you'll need to take the CURT hitch to a welder to have the extra support straps installed, for the same price (or close to it) you can have a welding/fabrication shop near you properly install a hitch that will meet the requirements to carry a static load.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Dubedubedo

Wink Trailer Hitch

Hi, thanks, we'll take your advice and go to a local welding shop and have things checked over. We have been using a bike rack on the bumper, minus the spare tire which is stored inside. Would really like to get a hitch so we can put a small carrier on for the generator. We're not getting any younger and the generator keeps getting heavier each year. Great website!
Sandy & Fred
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome. We had a trailer hitch receiver welded to our Springdale in 2011. Total cost was $325. We just took delivery of a Cougar 27RKS and had a hitch receiver installed as part of the purchase (I know the frame warranty may be compromised) and it was $350. It was done by a different welding shop in a different city. Both were rated at 3500 lbs load with 350 lb trailer tongue. Actually, this hitch is much heavier than the one on the Springdale and the welder said that he does the same install on all his RV hitches. Some are rated at 5000 lbs. I asked him what the difference was and he said, "I install what the dealer asks for." I then asked him what it would take to upgrade mine to a 5K hitch. His response: "Nothing"

Anyway, if you go to a fab shop to have one installed, discuss what you're wanting to accomplish. If you just ask for a cat 2 hitch, you may not get the same installation as if you asked for a hitch that will support 350 lbs on a receiver platform to carry a generator. The more information you give the welder, the better he will be able to provide what you want.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I went about it a little differently. The Curt hitch you are referencing looks identical to the one that came on my Outback. it was only rated to carry 200# and one bike hanging off a carrier could easily exceed that when bouncing down the road so I would have never even considered hanging a cargo carrier in the receiver.

I took the factory hitch off and went to my local trailer/fab shop and had a 3/16" wall tubing brace welded to the trailer frame between the fore/aft channel iron. Then they welded some shot pieces of the same tubing to the bumper so that it was supported in four places. They also re-welded the existing welds on the bumper. The box sits on the bumper and is supported by braces that extend to the rear and is fastened down with self tapping screws.
The box I had fabricated to a specific size and it goes from the outside end of the bumper to almost the center so as to not interfere with my shore power connection. The box was also sized to sit directly under the trailer tail light without obstructing it. Cost for the welding reinforcement was around $300 and the box was $325 delivered to my front door. It easily carries a Craftsman tank type air compressor, screw type stabilizing jacks, and power cords but would carry a generator just as easily. A really nice mod is an electrical outlet that I tied into a rear wall outlet and installed in the box. One of the outlets is always hot and the other one has my compressor plugged into it so I can turn it on and off at the box without having to drag an extension cord to an exterior outlet. A 50' air hose allows me to air up the trailer tires and it reaches the truck also. Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands? LOL

One nice thing about a custom box is that the depth on this one does not allow it to extend past the spare tire so no additional length is added to the trailer. Also, the contents of the box do not bounce as much as a receiver type carrier would.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer hitch