Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
bucketman

Fresh water overflow

Just sanitized tank and when I refilled to flush tank it was overfilled and came out of overflow. Problem is, I think it overfilled at the tank some how as I have water coming out of the bottom of the trailer on the low corner. Question is,,, Is there a overflow at the tank and does anybody think I may have done some damage or is this normal? I assume I have an accumulation of water some where. I assume some else has done the same thing.
So Wisconsin
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

bucketman -

If you should happen to overfill the tank, there is no overflow other than the excess water "coming back at you" via the filler hose. It will come out the same place as it goes in.
If the overflowing doesn't happen that often or goes on for too long, any water that comes out the bottom of your trailer shouldn't cause any damage elsewhere. As a precaution, check the corner and the interior floor near the filler for any accumulation. You may have to remove a panel/drawer/door to inspect the floor in this area.

You might want to " listen" to the air escaping from the filler vent hole and note any change in the sound of the air coming out the hole. Usually, when the tank gets full and water starts coming up the filler hose, there is a change in sound. This may take some practice.

Or, if your water tank gauge is accurate, have someone watch the gauge and give you a holler when it reads "Full".

Overflows can occur if you don't carefully monitor how much is going into the tank.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

On my trailer, in addition to the filler port, there is a small flexible hose which seems to be a tank air vent, that terminates just below the filler port. As water goes in, air seems to exit this vent.

You might want to see if your port is configured the same way. The vent hose may not be properly attached, or it may not be connected, or it may be missing altogether---all might lead to internal leaking in the event of an overflow.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
bucketman

Thanks Festus,
I thought I may have a loose filler hose at the tank and water came out of there. Maybe a loose hose clamp. I know the sound when it is filling up, I just put the hose in and walked away, just not patient enough to wait for forty gallons to fill. Thanks again on the advice on how to fill and I'll be careful next time I fill it up. I'll have to do some investigating on the access to the tank. It stopped leaking after a short time, so I think it will be okay. Also, is there a bypass somewhere that will fill your freshwater form the city hookup. I swear that my tank was almost empty when I went on my last camping trip and was half full when I returned and I was only hooked up to city water inlet.

Jim
So Wisconsin
Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
bucketman

Good point diugo, Pretty sure overflow hose is hooked up as it was coming out there pretty fast. Also when I removed hose from filler port, it shot out of there pretty hard for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure I put a good amount of pressure on the system, tank probable expanded a little and when I pulled hose out it of course contracted and shot the water back out.

Thanks for the input,
Jim
So Wisconsin
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
gwperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketman View Post
Good point diugo, Pretty sure overflow hose is hooked up as it was coming out there pretty fast. Also when I removed hose from filler port, it shot out of there pretty hard for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure I put a good amount of pressure on the system, tank probable expanded a little and when I pulled hose out it of course contracted and shot the water back out.

Thanks for the input,
Jim
I have related issue with our new (to us) 2012 Alpine. We took delivery of the unit in Yuma AZ (110 degree weather) and thought the full fresh water tank was just expanding and overflowing int the water bay. So we drained off some water to 2/3 on the gauges but a few days later it was occurring again ... leaking out of the fill. Is the city ater system hooked directly to the freh water holding tank? If not, how (from where) is fresh water getting intorduced to the tank when hooked to city water?
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

There is a check valve in or at your water pump that is not working. Some models have a way of filling tank from city water connection but to my knowledge they are top of the line models.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Re fresh tank filling from city water, Hankpage is right, water is seeping through the water pump's check valve. Are you using a pressure regulator on the city water hose? If not, you might consider doing so, and see if it stops the seeping.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
bucketman

I had a water regulator on my hookup. I'm going camping this weekend and I will be hooking up to water. I'll be checking it out a little closer if I'm taking on water through the city water. Will report Monday.
So Wisconsin
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
BulletOwner1

Jim,

Water tanks don't have an overflow except for the vent line built into the fill port fitting. I know that when I was working on the underside of my TT I filled my tank and noticed water leaking at the fill port on the tank. I ended up having to use two screw clamps to get the leak to stop.

As said before most TT's don't allow for filling the tank while hooked up to city water. But with the addition of a couple of T's and a valve it could be done very easily, depending on the level of difficulty in accessing your water pump. Word of caution though - don't start filling your tank in this manner and walk away. You may come back to a water disaster !

X2 or 3 or whatever on the bad check valve on the outlet of the water pump.

Richard