Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
byrdr1

It finally happened to me!

We sat on the side of the road for 4 hours, we were also 6-7 foot off the
exit ramp with my wifes SUV behind us and it was hot with no shade. First time my truck has been towed by a wrecker.

Its been a week plus since this happened.
Saturday 6-8 we were on our way to Myrtle Beach, SC for 8 days of summer vacation and camping. I was pulling along at 65 MPH when my truck suddenly slowed down and went into limp mode. Pulled off at the next exit on US220s(I-73/74). My son in law was behind us with his camper and wife following him with our golf cart in tow.
We checked all the codes(its nice to have a code reader) showed the code for an injector module that is located behind the alternator on top of engine. Easy fix if we could find one. BUT after looking on line you can disconnect it and go about your business. Cleared the codes and started our journey again. Only made the next exit before we had the same issue again. My son in law just had some major work done to his 6.0 diesel so he called the man. Got the word that I had major problems and should not try and get my camper back one exit to the Harley place until we could pick it up. Our plan was to finish taking his camper to beach and come back and get mine after having my truck towed in(back home 75 miles). So we found a better solution and I made my beach trip. BUT left my truck at repair place for a weeks rest and repair. $1000 repair and a $250 tow bill later. I have my truck at home and my camper too. Ended up being the wiring harness that is run into/with the value cover gaskets and fuel pick up filters inside the fuel tanks. New generation gaskets and all new fuel filters for my truck. This is the first time my truck has been towed for anything, but at 204000 maybe it was time. The diesel guy says he can work my truck again for some more money make my truck a million miler? Thinking about that 800K more miles sounds like a good investment for the money now. He also told me my truck was in great shape, body, paint and engine but that with the miles I had on it I would start to see some repairs. I told my wife time to trade and she was like we can make lots of repairs for what new ones cost or used ones.. She is allowing me to make the decision on spending the extra money on my truck??? I need to follow up with him and see what all he talking about doing to my truck first.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Kristi

To buy or not to buy.... I think we have all been there with vehicles.

Glad you were still able to make it to the beach!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
hankaye

byrdr1, Howdy;

There is an old saying in the trucking industry;

"You either make a finance payment or a maintenance payment" ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
2011 keystone

So what campground did you stay at? we where at lakewood the 11th thru the 15th.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
fred1609

I have an 06 F350 6 litre. We have gone thru a high pressure oil pump....1 intercooler....two turbos....front ball joints....I think that's it. If I understand what folks are saying about the 6 litre is that it was basically a good engine and then it was EPA'd......and that's where the engine developed problems. Apparently theres is a "fix"...Our rig has only 95K miles....So pretty heavy maintenance history so far......thankfully we bought an extended warranty. I do love the truck though
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote