Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
labs4life

Need LED suggestions (I am lost)

Well I am not literally lost, sitting in the living room now. Just got back from camping and I now have to change the lights to LED's. the heat is very noticeable now.
Ok, I have RG921bulbs in most all of my fixtures. I have not been able to find out for sure what bulb will work for this. I think the regular 921 is a different base.
I am also open to suggestions on which light color and also brightness. I know a little about a LOT of stuff, this is just not something I know anything about.

All help is appreciated. I already looked at the sticky as well as searching on and off over the last couple weeks and I still need help
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

labs4life -
This sticky may help you to find your way....
Go to the "Upgrades & Modifications" section of the forum. At the top of the list of threads you will see a sticky called "RV LED lights and lighting".
I think this may help you to answer some of the questions you might have.
The sticky has been there for quite some time and getting lonely. All it needs is for someone to read it.
Hope this helps.

Whoops --- sorry, I should have read all of your post. I didn't notice that you had already read the sticky. My mistake.
However,there is still a lot of information about colors and brightness contained in some of the other posts on LED lights. Have you tried doing a forum search on LED lights or search out information on Google?
If you look closely at the sticky, it does give some replacement suggestions for the 912 incandescent bulb. The 912 is a very common bulb found in almost all RV's. The RG designation doesn't alter the fact that it is still a 912 bulb.
You can get different bases for most LED lights that will fit your situation.

In previous posts, many members have given the bulb numbers, cost, and other data, including sites to purchase them. You'll find all of these posts/threads by doing a forum search. If you can't find the info you need, repost what you are looking for.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
labs4life

I thought the RG might be some sort of designation that changed something. I it does not, I will definately be able to figure it out with the sticky. Just got a little cornfused there. Not hard for that to happen!!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
slewis1694

LED Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
Well I am not literally lost, sitting in the living room now. Just got back from camping and I now have to change the lights to LED's. the heat is very noticeable now.
Ok, I have RG921bulbs in most all of my fixtures. I have not been able to find out for sure what bulb will work for this. I think the regular 921 is a different base.
I am also open to suggestions on which light color and also brightness. I know a little about a LOT of stuff, this is just not something I know anything about.

All help is appreciated. I already looked at the sticky as well as searching on and off over the last couple weeks and I still need help
Just wanted to let you know a great resource for identifying bulb specifications: http://www.jwspeaker.com/bulbs/. This site will provide information on the lumen bulb output, current draw, etc. and will assist RV'ers in picking equivalent LED bulbs.

Here are some other sites where the LED's can be purchased via the internet:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/42.htm
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-LED...show=25&page=2
http://www.led-outlets.com/

As far as the RG921 bulbs, they are the same ones I have in my trailer and have the same base as a regular 921. Hope this helps with your LED purchases.
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers, Trailair Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, Curt 20K Slider Hitch, Firestone Dual Air Ride System with Load Lifter Air Bags, Tri-Metric Battery Monitor System, Power Max PM4B-75 Boondocker Converter/Charger, Replaced 2-12volt batteries to 2-6V Trojan T106 batteries, replaced all 921 light bulbs with LED's.
slewis1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1694 View Post
Just wanted to let you know a great resource for identifying bulb specifications: http://www.jwspeaker.com/bulbs/. This site will provide information on the lumen bulb output, current draw, etc. and will assist RV'ers in picking equivalent LED bulbs.

Here are some other sites where the LED's can be purchased via the internet:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/42.htm
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-LED...show=25&page=2
http://www.led-outlets.com/

As far as the RG921 bulbs, they are the same ones I have in my trailer and have the same base as a regular 921. Hope this helps with your LED purchases.
I appreciate the feedback. I ordered a few last night on fleabay, but did not get all that was needed. I will look around some more before I buy enough for the whole trailer.

Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

slewis -- Thanks for including those LED sites and now that I am back will add them to the LED sticky.

labs4life - You might want to hold off on ordering any more until you receive and try out the ones you ordered. There may be some amongst your order than you don't care for and others that you like. Since they are so cheap, some experimentation won't set you back a lot of $$$.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
audio1der

Some of the eBay items can be a bit flaky, but I ordered a few extra because they're just so cheap! Icould never pay what some of those other sites charge; they're just LIGHTS! haha
I got mine here, and they are wonderful. No heat, brighter than the old bulbs and little power draw.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-SMD-3528-...72fb34&vxp=mtr
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
labs4life - You might want to hold off on ordering any more until you receive and try out the ones you ordered. There may be some amongst your order than you don't care for and others that you like. Since they are so cheap, some experimentation won't set you back a lot of $$$.
That is exactly why I ordered a few. Having no idea really, this is cheap knowledge. I will be able to use this and maybe figure out more about this thing. I just got 10, so aim sure I can use them in places we either, don't use the lights very much, or not much light is needed. For the price, I will be tickled if they all work!!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought our LED's several years ago on EBay from a China source. I'm guessing it's HongKong, not mainland China. Anyway, they were about $1.50 each and are still doing their thing just like when I first installed them. They are about 300 lumens each, soft white (3800K) as opposed to the bluish or purplish white (6000K - 7500K) The "glaring white" is about 5000K so that should give you some idea on what color your lights will be. I found that anything lower than about 3500K will have a yellowish tint and is not real good for reading or doing anything requiring good vision lighting.

Good luck on your purchase. We also ordered a couple at a time until we found what we liked, then ordered them 10 at a time just to make sure we were still happy after doing an entire area in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We bought our LED's several years ago on EBay from a China source. I'm guessing it's HongKong, not mainland China. Anyway, they were about $1.50 each and are still doing their thing just like when I first installed them. They are about 300 lumens each, soft white (3800K) as opposed to the bluish or purplish white (6000K - 7500K) The "glaring white" is about 5000K so that should give you some idea on what color your lights will be. I found that anything lower than about 3500K will have a yellowish tint and is not real good for reading or doing anything requiring good vision lighting.

Good luck on your purchase. We also ordered a couple at a time until we found what we liked, then ordered them 10 at a time just to make sure we were still happy after doing an entire area in the trailer.
Well, these are from an "American" source, they claim. They may not be bright enough for the general area, but will give me somewhere to start. What can you expect, I got 10 for $8 with free shipping!! Might wind up being spares if the others ever go out, or as someone else said, I can will them to my kids!!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

From an "American source" most likely means that they were ordered from China, shipped to the "American source" in bulk and repackaged for resale. To my knowledge, no (NONE, NADA, ZILCH) solid state devices are made in America any more. They are all "farmed out" overseas. Most from China, with the rest coming from Maylasia.

Gone are the days of the "American silicone valley" and the once leader in solid state technology, Texas Instruments (the producer of the first hand held calculators)... Remember the old TI-1200 calculator that had 12 AAA batteries in it and that red "dot matrix display" LOL It would operate for about 2 hours before needing new batteries???? Ahhhhh Those were the days <sigh> LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote