Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
gopeek

Changing electric awning to manual

I have a 2010 copper canyon 298bhs with the electric awning and I dont like the way it works.I cant leave it up and angle down in the rain.Keystone tells me it is only a sun shade.What will I need to change it over besides arms and pluging the holes. Thanks
gopeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Flyguy

Most all of the power awnings have an auto-dump feature that will dump rain water from the awning automatically, it will sense water buildup on the awning and lower one side of the awning to dump the water. Is your awning a "Carefree" or a "Dometic A&E"? Here's the link to the manual for a typical power awning, page 8 describes the auto-dump feature. http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pd...s%20Manual.pdf As far as changing to a manual type awning, I'm sure that it can be done but maybe you just need to get familiar with the features of the awning that you have, sounds like there is a lot that you just don't know about it, did you get a manual for it with the trailer info package?
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
bennydog

Our 2010 Cougar came with a Dometic Electric and I was routing around their web site and found they have a model that will retract in high wind but did not see one that also dumped in rain. We can pull down one end or the other and the rain will run off. I did drop them an email asking if one could retrofit an existing electric to include the wind feature and they informed me that I would need to replace the whole thing. I'm betting that if I could find a parts list one could order the parts and do it one's self. Maybe next year.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
gopeek

It's a a&e with the kit for the arms but it moves up and down really easy, not much to stop it.
gopeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
Our 2010 Cougar came with a Dometic Electric and I was routing around their web site and found they have a model that will retract in high wind but did not see one that also dumped in rain. We can pull down one end or the other and the rain will run off. I did drop them an email asking if one could retrofit an existing electric to include the wind feature and they informed me that I would need to replace the whole thing. I'm betting that if I could find a parts list one could order the parts and do it one's self. Maybe next year.
Bennydog -

My bet is that if you put the wind sensor/retract on your awning, it wouldn't be too long before you would be taking it off. Those things are finicky! One will be sitting outside under the awning in the wonderful shade, and just a slight summer breeze will pass by. Awning goes up and leaves one in the baking sun! Or if one is foolish enough to trust it, one leaves the awning out and runs down to the store, only to find the whole awning and everything else torn up because a sudden gust came up and the darned thing didn't retract!

Some things are best left to human intervention.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Brantlaker

Awning

Go to the "For Sale" section and look at dunnnc's Power Awning Tie Down Pole Kit. I just installed a kit and they work. Winds to day here in SC were 5-10 gust of 20 mph. and they held it down.Can be adjusted to pull one side down for drainage.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
dunnnc

I have one set left. PM me for details.
dunnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
35mastr

I also have an electric on my new trailer also. Only used on our last trip last week. Not real crazy about it just yet. I have always had a manual one on all my coaches.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
campingcpl

The A&E awing that came on our trailer did not have anyway of dumping the rain. But thanks to a mishap by a service tech at the dealership we bought our unit from they replaced one of the arms with an arm that is adjustable and we can lower one end to dump the rain water. Maybe this would be the answer to your problem and would probably be a lot cheaper then trying to replace the whole awning.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote