Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
rosede

Review of my new Outback 272RK

I just got back from my first outing with my new Outback 272RK. I am very happy with my purchase. I had a few bumps, but nothing that won't work out.

When we first got setup, I turned on the electric hot water heater. Checked the hot water after an hour or so, nothing. Had to leave for the afternoon and I figured that it would be hot by time we got back. Nothing. But by that time it was really late and I didn't feel like looking into things. I tried turning on the gas to heat the water, but I got a Fault warning light.

The next morning I decided to look at the hot water heater and I discovered a little switch that was in the off position. I turned it on, and within a hour or so, we had hot water. Later on I tried the gas again and this time no fault warning light. Not sure why the on/off switch.

The only other issue was the valves for the waste tanks. The dealer showed them to me, and said that he normally keeps the valves open, but that was a month ago and I forgot that he told me that. We went to the dump station to dump our waste tanks and.......well, I guess you can figure out what I'm about to say. I pulled the cap off the black/gray outlet and received a dousing. Not the best thing that I've ever done. Needless to say, I now have the valves closed.

I'm very sore from cranking those levelers. My old camper was very easy. Just a few cranks and they were down. I have to crank for ever to get these up or down. Now I know why guy's buy cordless drills and put a socket on it. I see that in the very near future. Same goes for the tongue jack. Seems like I'm cranking on that thing forever. I think that I may have to put an electric tongue jack on this thing too.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I think that I'm going to try and get out at least once more before the end of the season.

Daryl
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
rrohrer

do not leave your black tank valves open while camping. it can cause pyramiding and things will clog up. Leave it closed until close too full then dump. Enjoy your new camper!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The ON/OFF rocker switch located in the exterior HW panel is there for the protection of the tank if, by chance, you should drain your tank and then plug your unit into shore power. Should this happen and IF the switch was in the ON position, the heating element would burn out since there is no water in the tank and your empty, dry HW tank would "fry".
There is also a cotter pin inserted in the switch to prevent accidentally pushing the switch into the ON position.

If you winterize your unit and drain the HW tank, make sure that this switch is in the OFF position and insert the pin to make sure it can't be turned ON without removing the pin.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
rosede

I accidentally burned out the heating element on my first camper during our first outing. I didn't know not to turn it on before water was in the tank.

I seen a cotter pin at the bottom of the hot water heating compartment. I didn't know where it came from, and I didn't take the time to look either. I'll remember to put it back when we're done for the season.

Thanks.

Daryl
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote