Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Steve c

Exclamation F150

Pulling my 28RL with a 08 F 150 crew cab 4x4. It does ok on the trips we have been on, but not to sure about the mnt. Of NC . If any one has been in the mnt. Pulling a 28 ft. With a 150 or 1500 how did it do. How much doi have to worry about.
Steve c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
sellis1053

I live in NC and pull a 31' travel trailer with a 2010 Ram 1500. It pulls fine and I haven't had any issues.
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Up slow but ez. down hang on

I Pulled a TT with a huge SUV 4 years ago thru the mtns...bad news...white knuckle experience all the way. Up may be slow, but not an issue as you chug along...coming DOWN with 18 wheelers pushing your butt and blasting your left side, no exhaust brake, not so much fun.

Had enough fun. Bought a 2500 turbo diesel. No issues anymore. Skin looks a lot better. Wife and I actually "talk" as we traverse the hills.

Just remember, hills out west are a heck of a lot different than NC. You likely will be fine if you just stay within your trucks abilities. We are retired and wanted to have the set up to travel any reasonable roads in the US of A and possibly Canada. AIN'T doin Alaska. Not going there in any RV. Nope. Flying in, renting a car and drive into the pot holes of the world. Hotels can sometimes be very relaxing

Be safe, have fun.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
snow

we pull a 31 ft ultra lite about 8000 lbs loaded ready to go over two mnts one short but high no problems at all trans temp gets a little high, but after reading up on tran temps it's not that bad 215-225 degrees for about 45 min the other mnt is a longer pull with no problems ,prodigy 2 break control , GMC Denali 1500 6.2 crew cab shot bed ,PS getting ready to go over one Thursday to williamsburg VA for a weekend kinda wanting to see what the trans temp is this time the outside temp is going to be in the 50s so will see .happy camping ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄
Old 09-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
rosede

Two years ago I pulled a light weight 18' up to Montana with my F150. I was concerned about my RPM's being so high while pulling up some of the mountains. I don't remember what they were now, but it seemed at the time like I was working the truck to hard. I also belong to a Ford Truck Forum, and I posted a question there. I was told that they truck is happy at those higher RPM's and that I shouldn't be concerned.

The only issue that I had was my mileage dropped even further than what I had anticipated. One thing that I didn't take into consideration when I planned the trip was the elevation. I was told that it takes the computer about a day for it to get used to the new elevation and until it did, the mileage was suffer. I think if I ever do a trip like that again, I'll buy a tuner and adjust the settings on the fly. That way I don't have to wait for the computer to figure out what to do.

Daryl Rose
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote