Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Hawkfan

Slide out bumper

I have a 2004 Keystone Couger and see the new slide out bumpers on the newer models. Does anyone know if you can get these replace your current bumper? I would like to put a bike rack on the back but an concerned w/weight on the current bumper.
Hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might consider having a 1 1/4" receiver hitch welded to the frame of your TT and then purchase any one of a number of bike racks that will fit this configuration. If it is mounted to the frame, the receiver hitch and bike rack will be able to hold 4 bikes easily without having to worry about the weight on the rear bumper.
I think this option would be far better and much cheaper than trying to add on the slide-out bumper found on newer models. I also think the slide out bumper would not work as well as the welded receiver hitch and a good bike rack.
We did this on our former 5th wheel and it worked very well. You may have to relocate your spare tire.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Hawkfan, I have the slide out rack on my '07. It is very heavy and adds a lot of weight to the rear of the trailer just to carry a few bikes. I use it because I have it but would rather have a receiver hitch like Festus2 suggested. FYI only two bikes (adult size) fit on the slide out rack and I felt I had to add a larger vertical support to secure the bikes. It was a great idea but lost something from the drawing-board to the final design and no one can tell you how to secure bikes with the parts they give you. ( a 1" square x 3' high vertical tube. ) In my opinion the expense of adding the slide-out rack as after-market would not be justified. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
fairhaven

We have the slide out bumper on our 2010 Cougar. Personally I find it a PITA. As was mentioned in a previous reply the idea is great but the function, as designed, leaves lots to be desired. I added two 3' horizontal bars (with holes drilled every 6") to the 3' upright bar in order to have places to attach bungie cords. This helps some but is still not ideal. It is very hard to keep bikes secured.
fairhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
rjsurfer

I'm glad my my 08 245rks didn't come with one I feel the rear kitchen models put a little extra weight on the rear as is. As a matter of fact I removed the rear tire carrier altogether and now carry the spare in the bed of the truck.

I did eventually go with a 2 bike carrier in the rear, that attaches to the 4" inch square bumper, no need to weld a receiver hitch that way. I do watch the bumper like a hawk to make sure there is no problem with the bumper working loose.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Hawkfan

Slide out bumper

Thanks for the info everyone. I was wondering about the bike rack that goes over the bumper and if I would have to worry about it ripping my bumper off.
Hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
cpt_majestic

Yeah I'm kind of in this same situation, I'm just going to play it safe and have one welded on, this also if I want to later add a small carrier for firewood, icechest, etc....
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
House Divided RV

Rear Bumper Cargo Carrier

Howdy All!

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to assist with. I have a 2002 Cougar 5th Wheel with a "RV 4" Bumper Adpter". The link is what I have - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/17221.

I'm looking at getting a cargo carrier to use with this adapter but not sure how much weight the rear bumper will hold. Does anyone know what the weight max is for these bumpers?

Appreciate any help!
House Divided RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Divided RV View Post
Howdy All!

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to assist with. I have a 2002 Cougar 5th Wheel with a "RV 4" Bumper Adpter". The link is what I have - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/17221.

I'm looking at getting a cargo carrier to use with this adapter but not sure how much weight the rear bumper will hold. Does anyone know what the weight max is for these bumpers?

Appreciate any help!
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure what the manufacturer means by "Continuous weld bumper" but I am sure that it is not what is used on our Cougars. These bumpers are very thin steel and only welded on at two points to the frame. The hitch you describe will cause the bumper to flex and break those welds. As mentioned above the only safe way is to have a receiver welded to the frame and add a rack to that. A bolt on receiver would work also but none are available and would have to be fabricated to fit your Cougar's frame. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
House Divided RV

Thanks, I appreciate the hospitality!

Too bad on the cargo carrier. I'm not looking to put a lot of money into this rig as I am hoping to purchase a new 5th wheel in the next few years. Thanks for the info!
House Divided RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
jsmith948

I certainly have to agree with with the previous responses. The slide out bumper is poorly designed and fabricated. It is rated to carry 200 lbs. When it is extended there is so much vertical movement that I would be worried about the dynamic loading - I mean this thing moves up and down within the slide rails at least 4 or 6 in.
If I ever was to put bikes there, I would have to remove the spare. No way would I allow the weight of the spare to bounce up and down 2 ft behind the camper! FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

When carrying 2 bikes on our slide-out bumper, I remove the spare. To decrease the length of the extension, I drilled two holes about 7 inches further "in" so that the bumper doesn't stick out so far. I use the provided pins to lock the bumper in place. With the decreased length of overhang, it doesn't bounce quite so much and there is still room for two bikes.
When loading the bikes, I pull the bumper all the way out then push it back in 7 inches and insert the pins - locking it in place.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
When carrying 2 bikes on our slide-out bumper, I remove the spare. To decrease the length of the extension, I drilled two holes about 7 inches further "in" so that the bumper doesn't stick out so far. I use the provided pins to lock the bumper in place. With the decreased length of overhang, it doesn't bounce quite so much and there is still room for two bikes.
When loading the bikes, I pull the bumper all the way out then push it back in 7 inches and insert the pins - locking it in place.
Good idea! I will make that mod to our bumper so we can carry the grand kids' bikes next time they go with us.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
Murray0512

A friend of mine has a 5th and build a bike carrier that sites on the front of his bed.. He said it works fine .he totes 2 bikes, he has 8 ft bed so that may play into it.
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
msp2jxr

I too have the slide out bumper and gave up on using it for carrying the two bikes that go along with us. It was a hassle to strap the bikes on the back so they, didn't rub on the trailer or the window or against each other. I have hitch welded on the back of my trailer so it is plenty sturdy for the hitch bike carrier and now only takes me about three minutes to load and unload my bikes vs. the 20 minutes or more it took before.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Bushman512000

do this no more problems carry what You want

Just a little beef to the bumper and good to go.I use this for a cargo trailer/to hall a generater/or pull a boat...lOl...and Yes a big bike rack if You would like as it will take the weight.Built or say upgraded 5 Trailer bumpers this way each one better than the last...IMO...Bushman...cost about $100.and 2hours time...left click on pic to make bigger..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1305.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1307.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1308.jpg
Views:	313