Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #21
travelin texans

Over the weekend there was a big festival of some sort in Florence Az with rvs coming/going from all directions & if you ever wanted to see inappropriate setups you could have seen every conceivable mismatch possible.
We saw a Jeep Gladiator & a Tacoma both with a 22'+ TTs both with the beds full of stuff that appeared if they'd hit a bump the front wheels would be off the ground or rip the bumper off, both extremely overloaded & unsafe.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Over the weekend there was a big festival of some sort with rvs coming/going from all directions & if you ever wanted to see inappropriate setups you could have seen every conceivable mismatch possible.
We saw a Jeep Gladiator & a Tacoma both with a 22'+ TTs both with the beds full of stuff that appeared if they'd hit a bump the front wheels would be off the ground or rip the bumper off.
And I'll bet if you talk to them they'll tell you "they don't even know it's back there"......
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And I'll bet if you talk to them they'll tell you "they don't even know it's back there"......
I hope they got home before dark 'cause their headlights were going the be of no use. Even more so I hope they got home!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #24
Coach

2500 lbs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The standing joke around this forum is the term "half ton towable". The pin weight spec you cited is for the camper as it came off the assembly line and not as it will be delivered. Options, propane, batteries and the stuff you put in it to camp will have the pin weight north of 2500 lbs. The ONLY way you can telll if your truck is up to this is to look in the door frame at the yellow/white placard that tells you the actual PAYLOAD capacity for your particular truck. Many folks have been bamboozled by the specs on some manufacturer's advertising. Check your payload. Pin will be 2500 lbs, passengers, stuff in truck, hitch, etc. will have your payload at well over 3000 lbs. Check your payload placard.
I agree "half ton towable" is a broad statement. Manufacturers should be bound to be more truthful regarding the real capability, both Truck manufacturer and the Trailer ones as well.Not sure how the pin weight increases by 900 lbs. Anything put in rear of trailer will have some countering effect. Some of the weight of batteries, propane etc is carried by the trailer itself. I have read a lot of posts here referring to TV and capabilities. Safety and being legal are important and I have seen more than a few scary looking rigs on the road. Seems some like to "put a scare into newbies " regarding TV.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I agree "half ton towable" is a broad statement. Manufacturers should be bound to be more truthful regarding the real capability, both Truck manufacturer and the Trailer ones as well.Not sure how the pin weight increases by 900 lbs. Anything put in rear of trailer will have some countering effect. Some of the weight of batteries, propane etc is carried by the trailer itself. I have read a lot of posts here referring to TV and capabilities. Safety and being legal are important and I have seen more than a few scary looking rigs on the road. Seems some like to "put a scare into newbies " regarding TV.
Here's just one of the issues with the "published numbers". If you dive into the Keystone website you'll see statement to the effect that thw weights do not include battery(s), LP gas, orwater in the tanks. It also states the the weights "DO NOT INCLUDE OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. So right out of gate no optional equipment may be equipment that comes on EVERY unit. Depending on the unit that "optional" equipment could be a bedroom air conditioner, a washer/dryer, maybe a central vac.

The dealer adds a cheap small battery the most owners replace, often with 2 heavier batteries, fill up the fw tank, load up the storage and before you know it that "half ton towable" gets fat and needs a one ton to carry it.

The only way to know is to have it weighed. If you don’t have it to weight it then the only option is to make an educated guess. It's widely accepted to use a percentage of the gross weight when making edjucated guesses. How do they derive this? Well folks in the industry that see this every day have noted that travel trailer tongue weights end arounf 13% of the trailer gvw and fifth wheelers are typically about 23%.

Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #26
BSandersAZ

Howdy from AZ back at you!
Get your rig’s fiberglass coated with something! The AZ environment is tough !!!
Brad
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:00 PM   #27
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I agree "half ton towable" is a broad statement. Manufacturers should be bound to be more truthful
"Half-Ton Towable" on a trailer is like "To Serve And Protect" on a police car.
It's a slogan, not a contract.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #28
Tom-67X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSandersAZ View Post
Howdy from AZ back at you!
Get your rig’s fiberglass coated with something! The AZ environment is tough !!!
Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
"Half-Ton Towable" on a trailer is like "To Serve And Protect" on a police car.
It's a slogan, not a contract.
Agree and agree!
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote