Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #21
Shadowcats

Common Problem

I had the same problem on my Bullet (2 of them actually) dealer replaced the first one - the fix is easy. Use fiberglass (like used in auto body work) use the sheet and lots of resin - build up around where the hole (holes) are. I re-drilled and used larger bolts with washers. With this fix it won't happed again. On my new Bullet I did the same thing when I first got it - the brackets were different, but still cheap. Never had a problem. Hope this helps?
Old 03-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #22
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I failed to mention in my previous post that something needs to be done with the self tapping Robertson square drive screws or they just keep coming loose. The stainless screws/washers/nylock nuts are a good option. I have also used 8x32 speed and spring nuts on those Robertson screws;

https://www.grainger.com/product/1LB...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-spr...SABEgKLqfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...31890488&psc=1

I carry a Robertson screw driver in the truck and one at the entry door of the trailer. I check those skirts periodically during a trip, at the end and before I leave to tighten any that might be a bit loose. My first skirt disappeared 42 miles into the maiden voyage of a brand new trailer. Others flopped in the wind,cracked etc. Got a brand new one (not for this trailer) sitting in the box in a barn they were so problematic.
I think we are just talking to ourselves; the OP never returned.

I had trouble with the screws coming loose. I took a soft plastic cutting board, sawed it into 3/4 inch squares, drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the middle, and used them to back up the screws (like a nut on a bolt.) They haven't loosened again.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #23
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

I routinely inspected those because I noticed small cracks on my right fender where the mounting screws are installed. My temporary solution was to drill "stop holes" at the end of each crack with a 1/16" drill bit, and then I monitor to see if the crack grows. After about a half dozen short trips, the cracks have not progressed. But my next step is to install aluminum doublers to stiffen them up to prevent or reduce vibration.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote