Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
To5mih

AC cycle issues

Hi all,

I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS with the InCommand system.

Normally I have zero issues with my rooftop AC, until I do.

The issue is that, every once in a while, the AC will reach its set temp, turn off, but then when the temp rises above the set temp it will not cycle back on.

I have to go to the incommand screen and turn the ac off and then back on to get it running again. Its scary because I have a dog and I'm afraid it will fail while I'm at work and things will go horribly wrong.

I've been considering bypassing the incommand system and just installing an old-school thermostat.

Anyone else experience this issue? Any ideas?
To5mih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Windsorray

I’m having the same issues and my temp never reaches the temperature I set in my in command system. I set it for 69 it never gets cooler then 75
Windsorray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #3
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by To5mih View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS with the InCommand system.

Normally I have zero issues with my rooftop AC, until I do.

The issue is that, every once in a while, the AC will reach its set temp, turn off, but then when the temp rises above the set temp it will not cycle back on.

I have to go to the incommand screen and turn the ac off and then back on to get it running again. Its scary because I have a dog and I'm afraid it will fail while I'm at work and things will go horribly wrong.

I've been considering bypassing the incommand system and just installing an old-school thermostat.

Anyone else experience this issue? Any ideas?
Most likely the Gateway for that zone has a relay that is hanging up and not allowing the A/C to receive CANBUS signals from the BCM for your In Command system...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:37 AM   #4
4Buck

My 2021 Alpine does the same thing. The front ac works just like it should. Seems like the rear one will work as it should as long as the front one is not running. I have tried to reset the in command system several times by following everyone's advice of killing all the power but still doesn't help. I have a dog also so when we are gone I just run the fan on high not auto for the rear and run the front one on auto and it keeps it plenty cool.
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Poppy

I sounds like Keystone has some problems dealing with the AC.
I taped up the area around the return, but I won’t know if it did any good until next week. However, I think there may be another problem of tha ac cycling back and forth from high to low it does that during the heat of the day. At night time it works like it’s supposed to..
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
ChuckS

The issue is with the gateway communication relays

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
4Buck

When on auto the fan speed will run on low if the set temp. is with in in 4 degrees of the inside temp and will switch to high when the inside temp. is 5 degrees warmer then the setting. I wish you could set the fan speed and then select auto. That's how my friends Redwood is and my first rv was. This is another reason that during the heat of the day I don't use auto on the rear ac.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
cw1001!

Really?

I am an HVAC technician and work on computerized HVAC controls for a living. When I bought my Travel Trailer I was shocked to find out that the A/C unit is somewhat "computerized". I said to my self, Really, why don't they just stick the the KISS (keep it simple stu...) method when it comes to Travel Trailer A/C units. I just want a simple old time standard A/C unit in my Travel Trailer. Honestly, that is the only thing I don't like about my Keystone trailer. There has been so many known issues with the controls on these units. Someday I am going in to the unit and see if I can put standard mechanical controls on it. If I can run the fan and compressor with mechanical relays - guess what - the "fancy" controls are going be removed.
cw1001! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
SA RVer

I have a 2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB. I had the issue with the A/C not cycling back on while on cool/auto after reaching temp on my front a/c. I took the rv in for some warranty work and added this to this list of items to look at. I talked to the service manager yesterday and they said Keystone said the fix was a s/w upgrade that was required for the InCommand system. He said it's been working fine since they upgraded it, but I have my doubts. We'll see.

Interesting note on the warranty claim - Keystone denied the a/c labor claim because they said InCommand s/w updates are the responsibility of the RV owner. Fortunately, the service dept went ahead and did it without any compensation because they said it only took a few minutes and they weren't going to give it back to me without the s/w upgrade. That just didn't make any sense to them. I'm thankful I'm using a service department that treats their customer this way. It's refreshing to see this.
SA RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
4Buck

Thanks, dumb question but what is s/w upgrade mean?
Old 10-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
SA RVer

s/w means software upgrade. There are upgrades that need to be applied periodically to the InCommand system. Kind of like patches or firmware upgrades. The service manager said I should call the InCommand vendor (name escapes me right now) next time and they will send me a jump drive with the upgrade. I think you can also upload the upgrade from the internet if you have wi-fi connectivity. Not 100% sure on that.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:21 AM   #12
4Buck

That is what I thought. We did a upgrade when we first started having problems but it didn't help. We were able to do it with a Wi-Fi connection.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #13
SA RVer

Just picked the trailer up from the service dept this morning. I tested the a/c before leaving, and it looks like the issue was resolved with the s/w upgrade. I'm still a little skeptical. We are going camping this weekend. I'll provide an update after the weekend to let you know if the a/c cycled on/off as expected.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
4Buck

Yes, please do.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #15
SA RVer

Update - the software upgrade for the InCommand system did not fix my issue with the A/C not cycling back on after cycling off. As I mentioned, it worked when I tested at the service dept on Friday morning. However, when we got to our campground on Friday evening the issue showed up again once the a/c got the temp down to where I set it. Considering nobody else has found a fix for this, it may be something I just have to live with over the Winter. I talked to a tech at the service dept yesterday and asked if it would be possible to bypass the InCommand system and just install a simple digital thermostat. He said it's possible, but that's going to be out of pocket to do it.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #16
4Buck

I bet ChuckS is right. I called In-Command and was told it wasn't on their end. I have resorted to just running the rear on high when it is hot out. The front will cycle fine then, hard to believe a person can't get any help from these companies.