Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
DJ85

Completely Embarrassed Myself

We went camping this weekend and decided to camp in a different spot then we normal camp. The first question my wife had was can I back the camper in there. I told her no problem the camping pad was bigger then any I have backed into before. Those were my famous last words. And here we go. The first time I missed the the pad all togather. I pulled forward and tried it again. The second time I manage to get one side of the tires on the pad so instead of just pulling all the way back out and starting over I attempted to just straighten the truck and camper out. Started backing again now I have the trailer completely off again. At this point I should have just got out took a breath and relaxed. (The male trait started kicking in and that little voice said nope you can do it) This time I pulled straight forward across the road to back in. Well now I got the camper completely crossed up and not even close to where I need to be. So I pulled forward again the only problem was the area I was pulling in to had a drop off on the other side of the road. Now I have the truck completely off the road. I attempt to back up again and still not going the right way. So I pull forward again. Now I have the truck and camper off the road. My wife is not saying a word, 1 because she is laughing to hard and can't speak and 2 the walkie talkie had turned off. So now I am trying to get back onto the road and the truck won't move it just starts shaking. I am thinking great I just trashed the tranny. I look out and notice the rear tires on the trk or just spinning in the grass. I reached up and lock it into 4x4 low for more low end power. I pressed the pedel and nothing. So I pull forward again and try backing up again. I managed to get the camper back on the road. I put the truck into drive and drive away. Yep I look back and wife is still laughing. I told her I was going to find another sight. So now I have to drive past all the people watching me attempting to back my camper in. Seems like everyone had turned their chairs to watch. Well now I am going the wrong way. I get out to the main road and I have to back up to turn around. As you can or proably figured out this didn't go the good either. So I get back to the camping spot to back in again. I got out and told my wife to quit laughing and turn her radio back on. I backed up and got it on the first try. Now my wife is congratuating me and high fiving me. The best part was our grand daughter was in the back seat so I couldn't even go through my rant which was proably for the best. So I know I am not alone in the story we have all done some stupid things some have been seen by other and if we are lucky some have not. Now is the time to spread a good laugh or two with others. I hope everyone reading this gets as good of a laugh as my wife did.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
f6bits

If you don’t succeed at first, try again. And again. And again. Etc. Then give up…the wrong way.

At least you showed everybody you know how to back into a spot…eventually.

I had the same experience two trips ago. Solo with the kids in the back seat. Wife hadn’t gotten there yet. I even had an empty spot diagonally across the way, but I didn’t pull in there far enough so I spent the next five or so minutes on a 20 point turn to get the trailer in the right spot.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Oh ihave never done anything like that. darn i can't turn my head, my nose keeps hitting the windshield signed Pinochio
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Roberson4

Isn't it funny how sometimes backing in a spot can be done with one shot. And, yet other times it takes 10 pull ups.

AND, most of the time with the 'one shot' back ins, we (the drivers) are the only ones there.

Thanks for sharing!!

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
azlee56

And each of those people watching you have gone through the same thing! I bet your wife was laughing because you couldn't get colorful with a grandchild in your back seat. :-)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Grand child: "Boy, Grampa can make that trailer go any way he wants it to. Then he quit showing off and put it where Grandma wanted it."

I think we all have had at least one of those days, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
jdoug

I have certainly had those kind of days.

Back a few years I had a 92 Ford F250 4X4. I don't know if it is right or not, but after having 2 transmissions replaced under warranty (thank you Ford), it was suggested that reverse was a weak point on these units and that anytime I had any sort of incline I was backing up it would be best to slip it into 4 wheel drive. I did from that day forward and the truck survived many back ins without a problem. I even used it on the flat. Now, the reason for the story....I found the lower gears either allowed me more control at a slower pace, or I got better at backing in. Now with no 4X4 to use, I'm led to believe it was the lower gears cuz I can't back in anywhere!

Doug
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
JeffS

5th Wheel a Love/Hate Relationship

When I was in college in Chicago I drove a Tour Bus, and could put that thing anywhere. In the 80's we had a pop-up, piece of cake and if it wasn't exactly where I wanted it we just unhooked and moved by hand. In the 90's we got out first Travel Trailer, what a dream to park. THEN in 2000 we got our first 5th Wheel and I'm still trying to figure how to put that sucker where I want it.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Grand child: "Boy, Grampa can make that trailer go any way he wants it to. Then he quit showing off and put it where Grandma wanted it."

I think we all have had at least one of those days, Hank
The new rig has been great so far, I just know one of those days is coming!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
volvosweetie

When we bought our first TT, We had a f-150 1998 model, TT was 97 model. I told my husband his truck could pull it. First let me say that my Dad towed it home in freezing rain and sleet with no problem ( he was a former truck driver) parked it in the side yard. Well we had worked on the TT to make it ours, I was wanting to go to the beach for our anniversary, husband kept saying he was ready to tow. Then finally one day about two weeks later, He hooked up the truck to the camper. He had to back around in the yard to turn it around. I told him, Dad said to keep your hand on the bottom of the wheel and you can turn it any way you want it to go. He didn't listen backed in the front yard almost in to a tree blocking the drive way. Then the truck wouldn't go forward because it was in the grass. he was mad to say the least. He got out unhooked the camper, parked the truck back in the side yard and went in the house. My Dad came over the next day and turned it around and left his truck hooked to it told me to tell my husband to take it around the block. He told me he moved because he didn't want to see a divorce.LOL. My husband came home and he did take the camper around the block so to speak , he also said to me if any thing went wrong not to say a word LOL. So after we got back I praised his new found towing. We then took my Dads truck on the dry run to try it out. He fell in love with the F-350 diesel and actually enjoyed the tow and camping experience he bought F-450 drw and then bought our new bigger camper. As for backing he is still not to fond of that so we camp were they only have pull throughs. Makes him happy and I get to go camping.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
chuck&gail

You don't need to go backwards either. First time I drove a semi around a traffic circle made up of signs on movable (thank goodness) concrete bases, I took most of them out. Of course lots of cars got to watch as rotory had five entry roads.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
antiqfreq

In 2010 when we did our cross-country trip the DH was trying to get in a spot, after 5 tries he pulls out & tries another spot, after 5 tries he tears out of there & circles cg 2-3 times and tries another spot. These spots were at such angle, trees in the way or such an incline.

Anyway, he ended up in the first spot he tried to get in. I was laughing and following behind him allover the CG and luckily not too many people were watching us !

JO

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
gkainz

Our first outing was like the above. I grew up in a farm and construction family so have driven trucks and towed trailers before I was old enough for a license.
This campground, it appears, had nearly every site either angled backwards or had power and water on the wrong side. Turn-ins framed with rocks and logs in all the wrong places, fire outs in the middle of the maneuvering area, etc. Fortunately the campground was mostly empty and after 4 or 5 failed attempts at 2 or 3 different sites, we found one that worked. The host joked that I needed to pay rent on at least 3 sites but then said since I didn't stay long at any of them and this one was the only one I really fully occupied, he would only charge me for one.
Funny guy.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
fla-gypsy

Watching others set up is one of my great pastimes when camping
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #15
byrdr1

too funny........I too was there the first 4-5 times backing up the 5er. TT I was a pro at, now I am in the late stages of rookie, about to be a mid range 5er backer, but we'll see.. Thanks for the laugh this morning.. Been there done that. and the wife thing also.. she walked off and went inside the house. I had to eat some crow to get back outside to help me..I understand the rant too...
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
strokendiesel002

Well, here mine goes.

I grew up camping and boating and by the time I was 11 was backing the truck and boat down the launch, and 14 backing in our pop-up with a hightop conversion van (my mom has always been real picky about where the campers sit in relation to the rest of the site- no matter how many boards were needed to get it level side to side lol).

I've always been pretty confident and pridefull in my ability to tow. This year my family purchased a 41' Raptor. I had no concerns, pulled it to storage, parked it, no problem. Time for a shakedown run- no problems whatsoever. Now it's time to bring everyone with and meet up with about 40 other friends! I was pumped, of course I was the last one to show-up so everyone was watching me. We got out, picked out the site and I proceeded to back it in. I thought I was good. My brother insisted otherwise, said I was too far from one side of the site. I pull forward, move it over, now I'm at an angle. This happens about 10 more times, untill he says, "GOOD!!!". At this point, I'm ready to hand over my license and never drive again, I was so embarassed. I get out and walk back to meet him, and notice that I was right on the edge of the site... and boy was he proud that he had coached his big brother into that spot... It was at this point that I went to strangle him, then realized that he had never seen it open, and therefore couldn't be held at fault for forgetting about the slide-outs

I dropped my head, told everyone to clear away and get a cold one ready for me and proceeded to put the camper back where I had it the very first time. I know it was this spot, because my brother was furious (I hadn't explained anything to him yet) and stated "you're exactly where you started! What is wrong with you????" Needless to say, he understood when I explained this camper has slidouts on both sides, not just 1. Man was he really excited to hear that!

We get everything set-up, all is well... enter grumpy older "gentleman" with a chip on his shoulder for Raptors. After telling me not to worry about backing up, I'll get better with experience, and there's nothing wrong with asking someone else to park your rig for you (I was less than pleased to be chatting with him by this point) he continued to tell us how many problems he's had with his and that he felt sorry for us.

Anyhow, all is great now!
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote