Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Javi. The TST 507 is probably the most reliable and easiest to use/get to work system. There are a couple of "concerns" though....

First, the color display costs more and is harder to see in bright light. So, I'd suggest the monochrome monitor. It's also about $50 cheaper than the color monitor.
Monochrome:
https://www.amazon.com/TST-Through-M...62190615&psc=1
Color:
https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Monito...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Next is the valve stems. I'd suggest these if you have the "standard Keystone aluminum wheels: https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...-valve-han1600

They are available at any Ford dealership for about $8 each or on EBay for about $3. Many Discount tire stores carried them as standard equipment in the past, but with all vehicles now having OEM tire pressure sensors, many have stopped carrying the older "manual valve stems" and only carry the "TPMS valve stems. GM and RAM metal valve stems are too large to fit the Keystone wheels. The above ones will fit your aluminum trailer wheels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

I bought the TST with the monochrome monitor first but had issues seeing it at certain times of the day. Went ahead and bought the newer color monitor and a repeater (right rear kept dropping out from time to time). The color one still had some issues with visibility so bought the "sun visor" that just snaps on. Put it on and readjusted the the angle of the monitor (more downward) and it's not nearly as bad. I've only used it about 44 hours driving but it does seem improved. I will say one thing that seemed to help a LOT was removing my polarized sunglasses that seemed to partially block out the display characters.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #63
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I bought the TST with the monochrome monitor first but had issues seeing it at certain times of the day. Went ahead and bought the newer color monitor and a repeater (right rear kept dropping out from time to time). The color one still had some issues with visibility so bought the "sun visor" that just snaps on. Put it on and readjusted the the angle of the monitor (more downward) and it's not nearly as bad. I've only used it about 44 hours driving but it does seem improved. I will say one thing that seemed to help a LOT was removing my polarized sunglasses that seemed to partially block out the display characters.
And pulling the protective plastic off the screen...😁
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #64
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
And pulling the protective plastic off the screen...😁

You know, I don't know if I ever even saw or removed a plastic protective covering! Guess I'll go out and look. Now wouldn't that be a hoot?!
Old 10-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #65
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Go get a TST 507 and go camping 🏕
Can someone recommend a good monitor that I can install on my dashboard that tells me the temperature, weather, and crowd pressure at a campsite before I travel over to it and get stuck in a camp spot that a bunch of old crazy people are telling me that my tires won't hold the weight of my trailer because they were installed on the wrong side....

Those folks just seem to push my button, which spawns another question...

Can anybody recommend a place to get my button repacked, calibrated, seems the bearings are getting a little sloppy, too, from being pushed too often...

Thank you.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

I use a smartphone....
Old 10-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #67
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I use a smartphone....
I tried to buy one, they wouldn't sell it to me.
Said its a smart phone, not a dumb one
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #68
travelin texans

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Can someone recommend a good monitor that I can install on my dashboard that tells me the temperature, weather, and crowd pressure at a campsite before I travel over to it and get stuck in a camp spot that a bunch of old crazy people are telling me that my tires won't hold the weight of my trailer because they were installed on the wrong side....

Those folks just seem to push my button, which spawns another question...

Can anybody recommend a place to get my button repacked, calibrated, seems the bearings are getting a little sloppy, too, from being pushed too often...

Thank you.
If you'd add a signature with your rv & truck info then the rest of us could join in the discussion about your backwards tires, their lack of towing weights & your joyful neighborly demeanor when camping while helping you find that button that will fit either your rv or truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #69
xrated

Thanks Javi, travelin texans, and John for the suggestions for the TST 507. I will certainly check that one out. After having spent the last few years with my Tireminder Smart TPMS (no display on the dash, just a phone app) I did like the fact that there was not any additional displays on the dash, but the TireMinder just has not been reliable....or accurate. I can't tell you how many times I've had an alert about low pressure...or leaking, only to find absolutely nothing wrong with the tire that was alarming. I'm over it, and that system is going in the trash. I wouldn't even attempt to sell it to someone......it's that bad.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:04 AM   #70
Bamabox

When you all say “metal valve stems”, when I had my new Goodyear endurance tires installed last spring, he used metal valve stems, but they are not like the NHRA required bolt in metal valve stems that I have on my drag race Mustang. Which kind are you guys talking about? Thanks.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
When you all say “metal valve stems”, when I had my new Goodyear endurance tires installed last spring, he used metal valve stems, but they are not like the NHRA required bolt in metal valve stems that I have on my drag race Mustang. Which kind are you guys talking about? Thanks.
You'll have to get the maximum pressure specifications from the actual valve stem, but generally speaking, the "rubber base, pull through RUBBER BODY valve stems" are rated for around 65-75 PSI. The "rubber base, pull through valve stems with a metal sleeve inside the rubber body" are rated around 75-95PSI. Then there is the metal, bolt in valve stem that only has a rubber gasket to prevent leaking at the wheel hole. Those are typically rated 100-135PSI or higher, but check the specs on the particular valve stems you're considering.

I generally use the rule: If it is a rubber base, pull through style, it's not rated over 70PSI (for my tires), whether it has a metal sleeve in the stem or not.

I use the valve stems I listed above for my trailer tires. Even the flatbed cargo trailer has them. The last thing I want is for a "rubber pull through valve stem" to separate at the "pull through flange" while towing my tractor on that trailer at 70MPH on the interstate. I probably could just as easily have a tire blowout at that speed, but using the metal bolt in stems just eliminates one more "weak link"... YMMV

ADDED: I believe that chrome sleeve added to the outside of the pull through rubber valve stems is more a "decorative touch" than it is a functional metal sleeve. That type valve stem will still "bend in the rubber bulb at the base" and cause the deflection that allows the "top heavy flow through sensors to bang the wheel flange". IMO, the pull though valve stems with the internal metal sleeve do the same thing (flex with pressure at the tip of the valve stem) and are not much better for TPMS use...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #72
Bamabox

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I went out and checked my valve stems, and they are the pull through rubber base metal stem. And because I will be getting the TST 507 in the spring, I will switch to the bolt in stems you listed. I could tell by grabbing the stem, with it’s rubber base, it flexes pretty easily side to side. And the centrifugal force of the sensors flexing that could be an issue. So worth taking the time to get the bolt ins.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #73
jasin1

I’ve asked before but how come the sensors don’t affect the balance of the tires? Should they be on when balancing?
Old 10-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #74
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve asked before but how come the sensors don’t affect the balance of the tires? Should they be on when balancing?
To answer part of your question, I doubt seriously that you'd notice a bit of difference between a balanced & unbalanced trailer tire so that half ounce sensor won't matter. Personally I've never balanced any trailer tire & not likely to in the future.
Nor with it's minute weight will it noticeably affect the balance of your truck tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #75
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To answer part of your question, I doubt seriously that you'd notice a bit of difference between a balanced & unbalanced trailer tire so that half ounce sensor won't matter. Personally I've never balanced any trailer tire & not likely to in the future.
Nor with it's minute weight will it noticeably affect the balance of your truck tires.
Ok thanks for the info