Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Packerbacker20

Outback 325bh 2nd AC unit

Our Outback 325bh is pre wired for a 2nd AC unit, not sure if that's standard, anyway the current AC unit is a Coleman Mach 15 and it's wired to a thermostat. My question is if we add the 2nd unit can it be wired to run on the same thermostat? Would I need a 2nd thermostat? Everything I've researched so far shows 2nd unit is controlled by the piece you mount inside the camper (forgot what it's called). I would rather have a thermostat vs having to go into the bedroom everytime we wanted the 2nd unit to run.
Packerbacker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have in command? If so you’ll need the gateway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Packerbacker20

Yes we do!
Packerbacker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
kfp673

I just finished this project and we own the same model (2018). Unless yours is different, the second AC is in the master bed and is direct vent meaning you just get controls in the ceiling. So unless you choose to install your own T-Stat and fish a wire to the wall, it is just simple ceiling controls. Heading to SC on Friday so we are excited to finally have the second AC installed.
One other note to consider.. Our 325BH came with standard AC vents in the ceiling that cannot be closed. For $10-15 each I replaced the bedroom and bathroom with vents that can be closed so that when we are running both AC's the original pushes more air to the living and bunk areas. Now these new vents still let through plenty of air so it's not perfect, but it should create enough back pressure to push more air the other way. Very simple replacement.
If you are doing this yourself, take your time. Getting the unit onto the roof is the toughest part. 90lbs is quite heavy when you are trying to lift it 11-12', but my wife and I got it up there by having her pull a rope from the roof while I pushed it up a ladder.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
I just finished this project and we own the same model (2018). Unless yours is different, the second AC is in the master bed and is direct vent meaning you just get controls in the ceiling. So unless you choose to install your own T-Stat and fish a wire to the wall, it is just simple ceiling controls. Heading to SC on Friday so we are excited to finally have the second AC installed.
One other note to consider.. Our 325BH came with standard AC vents in the ceiling that cannot be closed. For $10-15 each I replaced the bedroom and bathroom with vents that can be closed so that when we are running both AC's the original pushes more air to the living and bunk areas. Now these new vents still let through plenty of air so it's not perfect, but it should create enough back pressure to push more air the other way. Very simple replacement.
If you are doing this yourself, take your time. Getting the unit onto the roof is the toughest part. 90lbs is quite heavy when you are trying to lift it 11-12', but my wife and I got it up there by having her pull a rope from the roof while I pushed it up a ladder.
I paid an independent rv repair guy $200 to install mine while I sat in the shade and enjoyed a cool drink. 😜
Much easier on the back...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I paid an independent rv repair guy $200 to install mine while I sat in the shade and enjoyed a cool drink. 😜
Much easier on the back...
Wow, that’s a no brainer for sure! I would have happily paid $200 but my dealer wanted something like $4-600 to do the job and it’s really not that difficult other than the lifting.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
Wow, that’s a no brainer for sure! I would have happily paid $200 but my dealer wanted something like $4-600 to do the job and it’s really not that difficult other than the lifting.
Some of the best advice I can give to new rv people is to find a good local rv repair person and get to know them well. They don't sell RV's and only get paid for their time. They are usually much less expensive and much quicker to complete the work.
Remember they are not doing make ready for trailers they sold yesterday.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback