Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
KimberDon

Nose-high towing

I've completed the conversion of my kingpin to a goosebox on my Raptor 351, and the difference is everything that I hoped for, with one exception. I had first attached the goosebox at the 2nd to tallest position, but then had only about 5" of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails, so I moved it to the tallest setting. This gives me great clearance, but now with my 2019 F350 (with its notoriously high bed) has a distinctive nose-up posture. I bought the B&W goose ball kit, which has about a 2 1/2" riser base. Before I replace that with a lower profile ball, my question is, what are the problems with towing at a nose high aspect? I suppose the off-level position of the refrigerator is one issue. Is there also stress factors in play on the frame, tires, etc?
KimberDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
ewbldavis

I would say it depends on how high it is...like just a slightly high nose, or very obviously high?

My understanding is level or slightly nose down. More challenging with a 5er and bed clearance, but same rules. Was it level with original hitch position, but close to bed rails?

Would a different ball that levels trailer put it in the same position as previous goosebox mounting? Unfortunately, issue may simply be the height of the truck/bed, not hitch position or ball.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
bobbecky

We were nose high until I decided to install 2” blocks at the axles. We were having issues with the rear end dragging, causing damage and also with more weight on the rear axle than the front one, we had tire wear issues. Since getting the rig level, all those issues have been resolved and the trailer handles much better now.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
KimberDon

Both of your issues are what I am concerned with. I hadn't considered that solution, so I'll look into the same corrective mod with spacers for axels.
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
KimberDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I would say it depends on how high it is...like just a slightly high nose, or very obviously high?

My understanding is level or slightly nose down. More challenging with a 5er and bed clearance, but same rules. Was it level with original hitch position, but close to bed rails?

Would a different ball that levels trailer put it in the same position as previous goosebox mounting? Unfortunately, issue may simply be the height of the truck/bed, not hitch position or ball.
: It's a little more than slight. I will probably try a lower ball and see how much difference it makes.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
bobbecky

This is a previous thread where I and others posted ways to adjust the height of the trailer to make it ride level. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...+blocks&page=2
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
tech740

Only other issue is if get the lower ball you will loose 2 inches of bed clearance that you moved the hitch to gain.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow