Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news (and cheap too) !!!

Keep us posted once you do the carb change. Your experiences will help others with a similar problem and likely reassure them that "working on a generator" is not a "dark deep secret rabbit hole"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #22
jim1

Hi, SuperGen is the place I ordered my 2-2000w inverter gen sets w/paralell kit and covers. Every thing showed up real fast and in perfect condition! The guys at Super GenAre really great to deal with and will answer all your questions even my dumb ones.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #23
oldnjrver

I couldn't agree more.. All of my dealings with supergen have been great!!
As for replacing the carb on the generator drive motor, I don't fear that reaper.. Started rebuilding small engines when I was 14.. Mowed a lot of lawns for money, so I could build ride and repair my mini bike. I have very little experience with generator electronics, and prefer to leave that to the pros..
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #24
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi, SuperGen is the place I ordered my 2-2000w inverter gen sets w/paralell kit and covers. Every thing showed up real fast and in perfect condition! The guys at Super GenAre really great to deal with and will answer all your questions even my dumb ones.
I am late to this thread, but will post a few short comments that I hope are useful.

1. I am on my second Champion generator. I went from a 2000w inverter to their 3400w inverter when I got a bigger camper. I was not really interested in running two in parallel. In our group, we have three guys running one variant or the other of the Champions. All have run flawlessly for years.

2. When I upgraded to the bigger model, I bought a "refurb" from SuperGen's eBay store. They set the jetting for my higher altitude for free. The guy called me later to check in and make sure all was good. Sent his business card in the package. I think the refurbs from them are better than new for that reason and the price was great. Their customer service on the front end was stellar.

3. I run only ethanol free in all my small motors. Easy to get still in Montana for me. I don't "exercise" them every month because during the winter, that is not practical where I live. I do however very carefully run it dry at the end of the season and run a healthy dose of SeaFoam through it as it runs dry. Also, at the end of every trip, I turn off the fuel supply and let it run dry to minimize what fuel is left in the carbs and lines between outings. In the spring, I put some more SeaFoam in the first fill of fresh fuel and give a couple of light tugs of the pull cord to prime the fuel lines and then pull it for real. Starts and runs flawlessly every time.

I am 100% happy with these inexpensive gennies.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #25
BAPotter

High Altitue Jets

I've had my 2 box style with parallel kit for almost 3 years. Can't lift the larger heavier ones but can run everything on the dual units. After much research I found that the carburetors use the Yamaha jets. When I'm over 7500 feet I switch to the smaller high altitude jets. It's about a 10 minute job. Yamaha part number 1HX-1423A-63-A0 #62.5 Main Jet. If I recall the OEM Jet is a #65. If the carb is gummed up, it's likely only the jet that's plugged.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #26
x96mnn

I have over a 1000 hours on a Champion 3400 watt inverter with no issues and a friend owns the 2000 watt model with less hours and no issues.

I change the oil every 100 hours, I use synthetic oil, keep the spark arrester clean and run supreme fuel. Only thing else I do is add stabilizer If it will sit for more than 60 days.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #27
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Around here, "ethanol free gas" is called "Rec Gas" is 90 octane and about 15-25 cents more a gallon than regular, 10% ethanol. I started using "Rec Gas" in all my small engine equipment about 10 years ago. Before that, I was replacing a carb and/or fuel lines on equipment almost every year. Since I started using "alcohol free gas" I haven't had a carb failure. I do still use StaBil Marine stabilizer (gray stuff) in my rec gas in the fall. That's because it "may wind up in the equipment when I put it away for the season"... During the spring/summer, I just use the Rec Gas without stabilizer as I go through it fast enough that it's never more than a couple weeks old.

If you can find it, it's worth the extra price to buy "ethanol free gas" for all your small engine equipment. In some places, premium grade gas is ethanol free, in some places NOTHING is ethanol free, so do some checking with oil/gas distributors in the area before you give up trying to find it.
Amen!!!My small engine repair guy told me years ago to always use Shell Nitro as here in IL it's real gas...no corn syrup. It's expensive but so are new engines and repairs.
I have small engines that get ran hard...still purring along at over 13 years for a couple of them. I'm a firm believer in quality "real gas" I don't eat the cheapest food I can find....my engines whether it's car, trucks, small engines eat and drink the same way
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter