Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
rrjernigan

Popping (from Lippert jacks)

I know this issue has been discussed, I was in on the discussion. We are still working with the issue however and I have additional information. Background: We have a 2017 Montana 3811MS. Whenever we setup, about a week later, any movement inside the camper (walking around, sitting, changing position etc) causes a popping sound from under the camper. Our research indicated this was the Lippert levelling system. We contacted Lippert and they said to replace a quart of hydraulic fluid with fork oil. We did that, didn't help. They said to do it again, we did, did not help. They said to do it once more, we did, did not help. They then told us to take it back to the dealer and have them do a pressure test on the system. We did, they didn't do the pressure test, said they do not have the equipment and besides it didn't make sense to them since the camper is not losing level. They (Holiday World Alvarado, whom we do like; at least we think we do) told us to take it to Lippert (which might be several hundred miles away and I am still working and living in the Montana). They did offer to call and speak with Lippert while I was there. We did, on hold with Lippert about twenty minutes. We had been in email contact with Lippert for about a month but of course they didn't access those notes so we started over with them. The Lippert guy told us, the popping sound was simply a part of life with any hydraulic system and we would have to live with it since Lippert does not warranty against noise. Wow, nice way to talk to your customer. Basically, we built a faulty product but too bad for you.

At the end of the conversation they said, we didn't realize this was a Montana, you have to go through Keystone for all warranty work on that unit. No one at Holiday World was aware of this. So were are we? Holiday World is saying we can't reproduce the issue (because as I told them, if you raise and lower the jacks a few times, all is well for about a week) because they only at the end understood you have to move around inside the camper to make the noise, it doesn't just make it when raising and lowering the jacks (in fact it does that in silence). Holiday World wants me to leave it with them. Which, of course since I live in it, I cannot do. I only live 10 minutes from Holiday World and asked if I could take it home and when the sound comes back call them and have a tech come see what he/she thinks is the problem. Oh, they don't do that. Now what are my options? The sound is so annoying it is unlivable. We will trade the unit in on something without the Lippert system (perhaps go back to DRV or maybe an Augusta or New Horizons) except I think Lippert might be on two of those. I guess my next course of action is to contact Keystone direct and see if they will authorize a mobile service company to perform their warranty work on the Lippert system. What fun. We really like our Montana but cannot keep it if this is not resolved before the end of the year when I retire and we start travelling. I will let you know if Keystone steps up to do something.

Thanks for letting me vent.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Desert185

Incredible.

Once again, glad I don’t have that leveling system. I like some forms of technology, but this is not one of them.

Thanks for sharing this. Condolences and good luck with the resolution.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Ddubya

Curious. Is the sound coming from all jacks?

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Alpine

So very sorry you are having to mess with this issue! After one year of hearing my Lippert level system "snap-crackle-pop".... With the slides in and the rear-ward landing legs up, this will put most of the fluid in your hydraulic reservoir, syphon out one gallon of the cheap fluid they put in and replace it with ATF. I use Valvoline. And in the last four years of full timing nary a peep. I replaced another gallon again just last month (two year intervals).

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Dave W

When we were looking in '14 for a new 5er we actually got to the paper signing phase for another brand RV but these Lippert self levelers were one of several reasons we ended up staying with wood planks and a manual system \. The dealer gave us a weekend to make a decision and I used the time to, among other things, to research these systems and found that there were many complaints about popping levelers. If the ATF works, as suggested, that's a fairly inexpensive fix and just maybe your dealer will cough up a few bucks out of courtesy. I hope you can work this problem out with the dealer or Keystone as you have a very nice 5er
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
roadglide

Enough said about incompetence of holiday world, never never purches anything from any holiday world because they like to selll what they have little knowledge about there products.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
roadglide

About the popping if it creaks it's leaking down spokey feeling hearing that noise on hydraulic equipment. I'm saying releaf valve simply fix.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
rrjernigan

Thanks for all the input, I will try the Valvoline ATF. Here is my update from Keystone:

Their customer service is one of the worst I have experienced.

I've spoken with my local Holiday World salesman (and I like him a lot, good salesman, no pressure, seems to really want what is best for the customer), Lippert directly, a customer service rep at Keystone, the Factory sales rep from Keystone to my Holiday World and finally a higher up guy at Keystone.

The bottom line is these units with the Lippert system are not made for full time living, they are for mobile/recreational use (that's almost an exact quote the higher up emailed me) and if you chose to stay in them longer the noise is to be expected and you just have to live with it. As my wife just said, do they expect to live with a crying baby all day long?

The run around I've received is phenomenal. No sense whatsoever about how to run a customer service department. They (Keystone) simply do not care if the customer is happy with their purchase or not. I might post the email chains here later but they are a bit lengthy.

Suffice to say, I do not think anyone expecting good customer service should ever by a Keystone product. I am considering contacting my Attorney General to let them know about Keystone's false advertising of these units being full time ready, as they clearly are not as Keystone so clearly told me.

To answer one question above: The sound comes from whichever jack the movement seems to be closest to. Roadglide, I don't understand your post.

I will let you know about the valvoline once I have the time to put it in. I have already put 3 quarts of fork oil in, hasn't done anything to help.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
rrjernigan

Seems to be coming from where ever you happen to be when moving. Mostly sounds like the jack nearest you but it could in fact be a frame sound. I think it is the leveling system only because it goes away if I raise and lower the jacks. Of course it comes back in a few days.

Tags
jacks