Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
zenbuck

The smell was bad......

We are on a weekend gas saver in PA and went up to our 31BHPR on Thursday night and as soon as we walked in the smell hit us!! I thought maybe an animal got in and died. We checked for garbage left from the previous week. We checked the food in the fridge. We checked the kids bunks. We checked everything!!!.. Opened all the windows and vents and put the fan on high.. Time to check the out and under side. Worked my way around to the back with my flash light when I noticed my TT had a bigger beer belly than I do... Oh boy that's not good.. A leak somewhere... Found the lowest point, positioned my bucket and poked a hole.. Out came the stained, smelly water.. Drained it all and began to diagnose.. Had my DW turn on/off all water sources while I watched... Last item was to flush...After 30 seconds, I noticed the drip.. Black tank... Washed up, had a few adult bevs to relax, and turned in.
Removed the screws holding the plastic to the frame and found a beam to across to make a nice straight cut. Located the black tank and made another cut across so I could open up and have room to work.. It was an easy find as the crack was on the tank at the inlet for the dump valve. Cleaned it and dried it up. Made a trip to Home Depot for some JB Weld 2 part and EP200. Applied 3 layers of JB and then finished with EP220. Let it set 24 hrs and tested it out.. No leaks... Drained tank and hooked up flush.. No leaks.. Filled again and shook up the trailer... No leaks..
I'm not sure if the fix will hold up when I trailer it home but we are good for the rest of our weekends here.. For $10, get 1 of the JB Weld 2 part and EP200 to keep in your tool box just in case..

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I know it wasn't what you had planned but it's good you got it fixed. JB Weld comes in handy at times.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

JB weld isn't made for ABS. Glad it worked to get you through your weekend, but I would plan on another repair when you get it home.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
bobbecky

I made a repair to our grey tank last year, and used Pasti-Mend. This is made for ABS, and worked very well. http://plasti-mend.com/cart/index.ph...&product_id=96
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
geobet

If JB Weld and duct tape can't fix a problem, then well.....its beer time!

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
zenbuck

Thanks for that link bobbecky...

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Jeepshots

Ditto. blahblahblah to meet the 10 character post limit.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote