Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
spokedintheeye

Dexter Axle on Facebook

I was lurking on a Keystone Facebook page when I found an interesting post. A gentleman said he was a Dexter rep and was there to answer any questions since "currently all Keystone Have Dexter axles." Another poster said his Keystone had Lippert axles. The rep stated all new Keystone have Dexter axles, except those being built in Oregon...
It seemed to be strange to me for him to initially state that currently all Keystone have Dexter axles and then later say...except for...

Sent by me
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Javi

Lippert has owned Dexter since 2011 http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/08/li...ssis-business/
Old 03-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Frank G

Picked up our new Laredo 325RL 2 weeks ago and was quite surprised to find it had Dexter axles. It came with the E-Z Flex equalizer center bushing, wet bolts and heavy duty links. Quite happy with the setup, now... if I can only get comfortable with the EZ-lube axle bearings.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Frank G,

I was (emphasis on was) a fan of the EZ lube system until our trip 2 summers ago. I've always used it, always let the grease tube sit in the sun to get warm and soft, always pumped the grease in slowly while turning the tire, always been very careful about checking behind the wheel for any exuding grease, all the things "they" say to do with the EZ lube system....

I twisted off a wheel lug using the torque wrench in South Dakota, a "bazillion miles from nowhere" on a Sunday morning.... <yes there was a recall on the lugs, but not on the Cougar XLite, only the "big Cougar"> Finally just towed slowly to the next town that had a trailer parts store (250 miles down the road) bought a new lug and lug nut, disassembled the wheel only to find the brakes saturated with grease... I cleaned it up, we finished the trip and when we got home, I took all the wheels off to check. All 4 were had grease on the brake linings.

So, after trying to clean them, (it won't work) I bought new brake assemblies (cheaper than buying just the shoes) and redid everything...

Now, I'm definitely not an advocate for the EZ Lube system any more !!!!! I'll take my hubs apart every other year, clean and repack by hand and install a new grease seal. My days of being stranded by an issue and finding that the reason I'd been turning up the brake control sensitivity wasn't that the brakes needed adjustment.... Well, now I'm also a believer that EZ Lube is hype.....

I'd advise you not to try too much to "get comfortable with it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Lippert has owned Dexter since 2011 http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/08/li...ssis-business/
You beat me to it Javi, I was just going to say that. And back then the only difference that I saw was that Dexter axles came down in price which was great as they were the only axles that I would use.

Tags
axle