Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvinlovin View Post
Well, we decided to get the repair kit after all. It is going to the dealer Monday AM to get that done. I was thinking about asking them to check out the converter thing too. Or at least give us some direction and help us to make sure we do it right in the future. I told the man at the dealer what our situation was and he will try to rush it. I really can't afford to have it gone but what else can I do. The battery is taking a charge, but it is taking forever. My brother in law said last night that it was at a 1/4 charge! It has been on the trickle charger since Tuesday morning. Is that common for it to take that long?
This is Friday, so if your battery has been on a "trickle charger" since Tuesday morning and it's not yet charged, there's either something wrong with the charger or with the battery. Either way, I'd take the battery to Auto Zone (or comparable) and have them test it. If it's the battery, replace it and keep an eye on the new one (there's a possibility that your converter caused it to fail). If the battery tests good, then your converter isn't charging it properly and needs to be checked when you take the trailer in for the refrigerator mod.

Either way, at least after checking the battery and converter, you'll know what you've got to deal with. Right now, anything (and most everything) would be a speculation or WAG (Wild Awesome Guess).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
Louvinlovin

Well we got the battery to about 85% and the guys put it in and got the bottom of the slide in all the way in. But the converter and how water heater circuits still keep tripping. The other stuff works ok. So tomorrow it goes to get the dometic recall kit put in it. While they have it we are going to ask them to look at it. One of the people working on this thinks he knows it all but really doesn't. But don't try to tell him that!! haha As we were doing things we discovered a panel under the camper that had this rats nest of wires hanging down and not attached to anything. Maybe that is part of the problem. But the battery did take a charge. I will let you all know what they tell us.
Louvinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I love dealing with wiring in an RV.....yeah right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #24
Louvinlovin

The trailer is at the shop. Before I even got home he called and said they looked at it and the converter is toasted! Can I have jelly on that toast? haha just kidding. When we got there he was like oh that should be no big deal. I guess it has happened many times before. He also told us that the slide would not go out if the battery is dead, which it was...and you don't need to be plugged in to get the slide to work. Boy are we getting an education here. He even told me that on our old camper by not having the battery on it that it can toast the converter too. Well we tell the guy who buys it that. We have had it for 6 years and that has never happened. No slide on our old 89 Citation. So that is the scoop and I very much thank you all for helping us.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #25
Louvinlovin

Update

UPDATE...I talked to the shop today and they told me the battery is bad!! So any recommendations on what one to get would be great! We will be using this camper in cold conditions if that makes a difference or not I don't know.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #26
GMcKenzie

2 golf cart batteries. I get mine from Costco.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #27
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
2 golf cart batteries. I get mine from Costco.
probably need to clarify that the 2 golf cart batteries noted above are 6 volt batteries and need to be installed in pairs, and in series, in order to get 12volts.

I think the thread implies that you are always going to be plugged into shore power? If yes, then I would just recommend the Costco (or other vendor) deep cycle 12 volt battery, which should be "good enough" for your use, assuming I assumed correctly? Lots of "assume"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #28
Louvinlovin

Update and surge protector

Hello and thank you all for your help. The converter was bad, the battery was bad too! We went down to get the camper and put in the new battery and brought it home. OH, yes, the refridgerator recall kit was installed too.
We get home and tried to plug it in. The surge protector tripped again. By this time I have had it with this thing. The slide out would not go out because the new battery was not as charged as we thought. My brother in law got it out manually, so now my husband knows how to do that too.
I called the place that put it the new converter and they said they checked it and all was ok. They told me to remove the surge protector....it is an external surge protector. Then everything worked! BUT the connection for the battery was really really hot!! WEll just as you all said, the in line fuse from the battery was all rusty. So they replaced that and now everything works as it should!! So the BIG question....Can a surge protector go bad if it is tripped too many times?????? And is there a way to test it???
I won't use this place again. They charged me 350 bucks for the converter! When we got back the back vent lid over the bathroom was open. No vent covers on this as of yet!! The rig was unlocked...and they did not put back the wheel chocks or put the trailer tongue on a peice of wood, so it was sunk in the sand!! Also they finished the work late friday afternoon and and as of 9:30 am monday they still had not called me to tell me they finished the work!! Neither my husband or I are very impressed. So I think we have everything in order now. If the battery is on the camper all winter and it is plugged in will it be ok through the winter months? Yes it gets to freezing and below where i live. Sorry I dragged this on so long, but I am glad we got everything figured out.

Tags
battery, charge controller, converter