Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
busterbrown

Opinions on Michigan Campgrounds For Young Children

I just purchased a brand new Bullet bunkhouse for the family. I thought THAT was the hard part. I'm realizing now that what's even more challenging is planning the many trips we have in store for our young family. For this first season, we'd like to limit travel to the lower peninsula of Michigan as we live in the Detroit area. Northern Ohio has potential though.

So here's the big question for active Michigan members? What campgrounds, state or private, are youth friendly in terms of organized activities, sight seeing, nature walks, beach/pool accessibility, and full of exciting adventures for over-active 6 and under children? We've booked several short trips already, including Ludington SP, Monroe KOA, Port Huron KOA, and South Higgins Lake SP. Suggestions I've repetitively seen online are Yogi Bear in both Grayling and Frankenmuth, Jellystone in Silver Lake, Pioneer Park in Muskegon, River Ridge Resort in Stanwood, KOA near Higgons Lake, and Krystal Lake CG in Vasser.

Again, campgrounds that cater to 1st graders, kindergartners, and preschoolers are top priority. Clean and safe for obvious reasons. We'd like full hooks ups if possible but could easily do electric only as long as we had a close water source.

Any opinions of where large YOUNG families are venturing out to would be greatly appreciated.
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Use caution at North or South Higgins Lake State Park !!! The water is contaminated and "swimmer's itch" is very prevalent. Last year, at South Higgins, after 3 days, our group had 3 year olds that were crying about not wanting to go to the beach. If you're going for other activities, both are OK, but for the most part, there are limited "ranger led" activities. Playgrounds are a good diversion, but the major attraction is the water and the beach. With "swimmer's itch" to consider, I'd steer clear of Higgins State Parks during the warm months!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #3
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Use caution at North or South Higgins Lake State Park !!! The water is contaminated and "swimmer's itch" is very prevalent. Last year, at South Higgins, after 3 days, our group had 3 year olds that were crying about not wanting to go to the beach. If you're going for other activities, both are OK, but for the most part, there are limited "ranger led" activities. Playgrounds are a good diversion, but the major attraction is the water and the beach. With "swimmer's itch" to consider, I'd steer clear of Higgins State Parks during the warm months!!!!!
So much for the days of Higgins being one of the cleanest lakes around, eh?

Maybe it was just one of the clearest lakes though, not necessarily the cleanest....at least thats how I remember it, its been awhile.

Back to the OP, I would say that you will find more "activity" in the KOA parks or essentially the parks that aren't state run. Thats not to say there aren't activity's at state run parks, just not as prevalent.

I would look into Cheyboygan state park, which is fairly close to mackinaw (about 30 minutes). When we were there last year, it seemed they had some activitys of some sort, but you are close close to mackinaw island so you have that option as well.

We took my kids a couple years ago to Harrisville state park which is right between alpena and tawas city. It is right on the shore of lake huron, and there are some spots that essentially walk out to the beach. I couldn't say if they had activitys, but my kids had fun playing on the beach. They built a brand new shower house that year as well, which was pretty nice.

Traverse City SP was fun, they have a bridge you can cross over from the park to the beach iirc, and you are basically right in town. Again, on the activity thing, I don't know.

Taquemenon Falls seems nice, we were supposed to go last year but someone alerted us to the possibility of black flies so that scared us into cheyboygen lol. Thats U.P., but I think there would be a bit to do there with the falls etc.

As you can see we pretty much stay to the state parks. We did stay in allendale (near grand rapids) once at a KOA. It was fine and they claimed activitys, but we never saw them. Quite a bit of full time (ie mobile homes) in that park though. Plus it was october, so pretty late in the year. We took the kids out to some haunted attractions.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
So much for the days of Higgins being one of the cleanest lakes around, eh?

Maybe it was just one of the clearest lakes though, not necessarily the cleanest....at least thats how I remember it, its been awhile....
Higgins has had a pretty significant problem with "swimmer's itch" the past 4 or 5 years. It's still "crystal clear" once you get away from the shore and most people boat out to the islands and "party on barges" to avoid the warm, sandy water that seems to harbor the "itch". "They say" (if you can believe "they") that using baby oil and showering immediately after getting out of the water will help prevent infection. I have yet to find a way to get "young kids" to the shower and back to the beach without them wading in the water again.... so much for that theory. We all had "red bumps and itches" last year and the year before. I won't take my boat down for the family camping trip this year, and won't be going in the water. Sort of "makes the trip "half what it should be" but it "hurts too much to lay awake scratching all night long".... Yeah, I know, I'm "tender" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
dcg9381

Traverse City State park, it's across the street from the beach... Gets full though.

Swimmers itch - if you can get out away from the beach, it's less common there.. Coconut oil will help protect too, but it seems prevalent in most lakes in the area. IMHO, it's worse in August - when the water is warmer..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
mikell

We'll be in Frankenmuth this weekend. I'm from there so headed home for a bunch of parties. Jellystone is great for kids but CLOSE QUARTERS.

I currently live in west MI the St Joseph area and there's a couple of nice ones near South Haven where I happen to be right now. I think we know every park in the state so ask away.

Bear Cave in Buchanan or maybe Berrien Springs has lots of programs. there's at least 10-15 winery's and micro brewery's within 15 miles of Bear Cave and many have great food.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
busterbrown

I've heard about swimmers itch from a few friends who have been going to higgins lake for the last few years. I think I'm going to cancel my reservations at South Higgins SP as I don't want to expose my kids to the killer itch. I'd like to hear more opinions about other full service parks that can kick start our camping journeys this summer. Anyone visit Yogi Bear's Jellystone in Barton Lake, IN?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
We'll be in Frankenmuth this weekend. I'm from there so headed home for a bunch of parties. Jellystone is great for kids but CLOSE QUARTERS.

I currently live in west MI the St Joseph area and there's a couple of nice ones near South Haven where I happen to be right now. I think we know every park in the state so ask away.

Bear Cave in Buchanan or maybe Berrien Springs has lots of programs. there's at least 10-15 winery's and micro brewery's within 15 miles of Bear Cave and many have great food.
I'm talking to colleagues right now about South Haven and Grand Haven Parks? I know of the SP in Grand Haven on the Beach. Not familiar with the campgrounds in South Haven.

I did hear that the Frankenmuth Jellystone is tight. The trailers are stacked up on one another. We're doing it in the Fall closer to Halloween.

Still looking for ideas for the long 4th of July holiday. Nothing big planned yet and want to book something before everything good is booked.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I I'd like to hear more opinions about other full service parks that can kick start our camping journeys this summer. Anyone visit Yogi Bear's Jellystone in Barton Lake, IN?
Take precautions and you'll be fine. It's not exactly isolated to specific bodies of water. We swim off the docks and avoid walk-in at the beach.
It might be totally different this year... I went for years with no problems at all.

Jellystone @ Barton Lake is probably our favorite Jellystone park. Great for kids, but you're in for the full kid experience there..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Jellystone @ Barton Lake is probably our favorite Jellystone park. Great for kids, but you're in for the full kid experience there..
Probably a mid July trip for us. I've heard good things about the property.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
mikell

Michigan's Southwest

Warren Dunes State park south of Bridgman. A state park on in the dunes nice but long walk to the water but you can drive it too.

Camp across from the dunes. Is right across from Warren dunes state park

North about 4 miles in Bridgman is a city campground called Weko Beach. 5 minutes to the water lots of things to do on the weekends check their website.
OK place but tough to find a level spot and lots of all summer party people.

Shamrock Park in Berrien Springs. On the river nice basic campground.

Fullers Campground in Buchanan. On a lake lots to do.

Bear Cave Buchanan. On the river with lots of organized stuff for the family.

Covert county park on Lake Michigan . Old small but can be nice just can be tight to get into. 5 minute walk to the lake.

Van Buren State Park on Lake Michigan 4 mile south of South Haven. Old park 10 minute walk to the lake.

KOA Covert new and nice but in the middle of nowhere.

KOA Coloma older but nice and out in the middle of nowhere but just off I96

Rustic River SE of South Haven as the name says but OK if your looking for a quiet place

Jellowstone east of South Haven your normal Yogi place

Sunny Brook Resort about 3 miles east of south haven. A new RV resort with everything.

All for now
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Mcamnl

We go to Mackinaw Mill Creek every year. It's just east of the city.
Stuff for the kids to do. Nice sites. Nice view of the bridge if you are in the north part of the campground.

2007 F350 SuperDuty 6.0L Diesel DRW
2015 Cougar 339BHS
Mcamnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcamnl View Post
We go to Mackinaw Mill Creek every year. It's just east of the city.
Stuff for the kids to do. Nice sites. Nice view of the bridge if you are in the north part of the campground.
We're booked for 4 days on the 4th of July weekend. The park was sold out early. In fact when I booked 4 weeks ago, we had to agree and move our trailer after the 2nd night. NBD as they had a water front view open up and we'll be able to see the fireworks on the 4th right along side our trailer. Can't wait for Mackinaw!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Tom N OH

Yogi Bear at Barton Lake is great for the kids, not cheap, though. It does tend to fill up very quickly, so make your reservations now. As far as Frankenmuth goes, we were up there last fall during Octoberfest. We stayed at Pine Ridge Campground, just 4 miles or so south of Frankenmuth. Much more roomy, more quiet & about half the cost of Yogi. We stayed at the Monroe KOA several years ago & weren't all that impressed. You might also check out Hogback Lake just west of Angola, IN on US20. Nice campground, swimming in the lake, playgrounds & activities for the kids.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #15
Lost

Old Orchard park

We like Old Orchard park near Oscoda. It's only a 2 hour drive for us. They have a play area for kids but no pool. It's runs along the AuSable river. The park has a very nice beach thats roped off. the fishing is great and the water is very clean. Not full hookup but it does have elect and water hookups. The lots are huge. No need to make reservations unless your going up on a holiday week. (reservations are about $15.00 more a night). Its totally a family park.. tons of little kids.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #16
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
Yogi Bear at Barton Lake is great for the kids, not cheap, though. It does tend to fill up very quickly, so make your reservations now.
We booked 2 nights at Barton Lake in late June. It seems that all the weekends are full. Had to accept a mid week reservation. And yes, more expensive than I prefer but it includes all the water activities. Should be fun for our little ones.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
monica4patience

We love Hungry Horse Campground in Dorr, Michigan just south of Grand Rapids. We've been going there for over 30 years. It is very family friendly. You don't run into the college kids drinking and carousing.

There is a kiddie pool and regular pool, playgrounds throughout the campground, a bouncy pad, pedal cars to rent, hay wagon rides to visit the horses nearby, weekend arts no crafts for the kids, and other special events.

We always felt our kids were safe throughout the campground, even our son who is on the autistic spectrum.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #18
Sherwood

Jellystone at Barton Lake is our favorite. Cant say enough about them. We do spring and fall packages every year. I have also been to the KOA in Port Huron a few years ago. It was really nice and cheap to camp but it cost money to do everything. So it kinda evened out compared to Jellystone. Not to mention kids were racing golf carts with employees. There wasn't much policing going on and it showed. I hope it has change since then.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 AM   #19
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
have also been to the KOA in Port Huron a few years ago. It was really nice and cheap to camp but it cost money to do everything. So it kinda evened out compared to Jellystone. Not to mention kids were racing golf carts with employees. There wasn't much policing going on and it showed. I hope it has change since then.
We just came back from our first 2 day trip to Port Huron's KOA. It rained 1/2 of the second day and many of the kid's activities were cancelled. Very popular campground though. Lots going on. Our little ones loved it even though much of the amenities were offline. Can't imagine how it is on a nice, warm summer weekend. We didn't have plans on Memorial weekend until the wife asked to go somewhere close. I called almost every full service campground within 100 miles of me and everything was booked solid. I called Port Huron's KOA and they had a cancellation a few minutes prior to me calling in. I was able secured a full hookup site on the quiet side of the park. Should be a blast.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
natedog_37

Harbor Town in Monroe Michigan is nice. Lots for the kids to do. We go there 2/3 times each summer.

Monroe KOA is ok it is a tight fit for bigger campers with slides. I live 10 min from there.
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote