Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
junglecat

Hurricane Protection for windows with Plylox clips

I live in Florida and own a 2012 Bullet 246RBS. Got a letter from insurer for our Bullet the other day with advice for protecting the trailer if a hurricane is forecast to our area. It stated, if unable to move trailer to indoor location for storage, to board up windows using PLYLOX CLIPS. I looked them up on www.plylox.com and 20 come to a package and they have different sizes. Has anyone used these and if so will they work with the Bullet windows?
junglecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
gearhead

I got them out in the garage with the plywood in the barn for each window on the house. Fortunately I haven't needed them. I don't see how they would work on a trailer. I haven't looked at them in 6-8 years, but I think they work by jamming against the brick around the house window. Unless you have 2-4 inches of recess on your trailer window, I don't think they will work.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecat View Post
I live in Florida and own a 2012 Bullet 246RBS. Got a letter from insurer for our Bullet the other day with advice for protecting the trailer if a hurricane is forecast to our area. It stated, if unable to move trailer to indoor location for storage, to board up windows using PLYLOX CLIPS. I looked them up on www.plylox.com and 20 come to a package and they have different sizes. Has anyone used these and if so will they work with the Bullet windows?
Your Bullet windows are not unique. They're pretty much identical across the whole Keystone product line and many (if not most) other RV manufacturers as well. As the previous poster pointed out and the website clearly states, these clips are used to secure plywood in place on homes that have brick exteriors. Their commercial clips are designed for use on aluminum framed windows with at least a 1.5" inset. I am not sure the insurance company understands the mounting situation at all. It seems to me like a very misguided but well intentioned suggestion.

Now, that said, it is possible to find some materials that could secure plywood over the windows of an RV, but it would require extensive drilling into the exterior surfaces of the rig and more than a little fabrication to make it all work. Not many owners would be willing to do this to their rigs.

Given the fact that RV's can be quickly and easily moved, it would seem to me that the best way to protect an RV would be to move it out of the path of the hurricane. Hurricane prediction is much more precise than it was even a few years ago. It's still not perfect, but I'd trust it enough to plan a move several days in advance of the arrival of the storm.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
gearhead

Upon more reflection, probably the best protection for the trailer is to hook it up and leave town with it. Having ridden through a few hurricanes, that will be what we do in case of a direct hit.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
junglecat

Plylox clips

I agree with you. My bullet has awning windows and I could not see how they could possibly work in this situation. I will either find closed storage if I can't evacuate or hit the road. Thanks for your input.
junglecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Junglecat,

What was the basis of the letter you received? Surely insurance companies aren't contemplating the requirement for indoor storage for all RV's in the state of Florida????? There isn't any "reasonable' way to put plywood over the windows in an RV, and even if there were, it's on wheels and a stiff wind would "launch" it across the lawn, regardless of how well protected or well covered the windows might be.

You can't meet the mobile home tie down requirements to protect an RV and most don't have "hurricane straps" on the base/frame/sidewall attachment nor on the sidewall/roofing attachments.

Could this just be a local insurance agent who is attempting to find discounts by suggesting various options found in his "discount book" and by applying "home policy criteria" to an "Rv" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote