Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Sundown08

Satellite issue

Hi Everyone:

We have a new Big Sky 379RL. We had them install a traveler satellite dish for Dish network. First thing I noticed is they ran all connections with RG6 coax. Had to get a 211k Dish box with coax in and out. The 211z we have only has coax in and HDMI out. Connected everything with coax and set up the box. I can only find picture on Chennel 3. Picture is fuzzy on all TV's and SD only. No HD. I checked every connection and all seemed fine. Splitter used to go to other TV's is the correct one at 2.6 ghz.

I bypassed all other cables and ran a RG6 cable from the Dish box to the TV and same bad picture and no HD. I then ran an HDMI cable from the Dish box to the TV and had excellent picture and beautiful HD. Could the coax out on the Dish box be bad or is there something else I am doing wrong when running the coax?

I am thinking of running everything HDMI but I have no idea how to find where these cables are located and how to get to them. Just thinking about it at this point.

Best regards,

Steve
Sundown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
randy69

Satilite boxes are standard coax in and coax out but if you want hd TV input you have to buy a hd box with coax input and hmdi output. and hope you have the hd dish.
Hookups are, coax output from dish to satilite box then hmdi to TV. Just buy another hd box for second TV.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Let me see if I can give this a shot, I am not following you as to which box you were using as you describe what is working versus not. So let me assume when you had everything working fine that was with the 211Z, Basically sat signal in and HDMI cables to the TV. Now some TVs are HOT HTMI, Plug an input into there and the TV will automatically look at that port. I am assuming this is what you have since you did not mention going to the TV menu and selecting that HDMI port. If not you would have to go into the TV menu and set the input to be the HDMI port your cable is in.

Now with the 211K with 2 coaxial ports. Have SAT input going to the input and a second RG6 cable going from the second coaxial to the TV coaxial connection. I am going to speak in general since not familiar with Dish Boxes. When there is a coaxial out there is also a switch on the box to select either channel 3 or 4. This sets the channel frequency that the box outputs on. I assume when you said at one time only receiving on channel 3 that you had the 211K connected. Again you mentioned nothing about you setting the TV input to coaxial versus HDMI or RGB, etc. I am also assuming the 211K was set to output on channel 3 in this case.

211K SAT cable to SAT input, RG6 cable from 211K out to TV coaxial in, TV set to coaxial input, TV tuner set to same channel was 211K (3 or 4)

Hope this helps or gives you a better understanding of coaxial output versus HDMI (TV tuner not used).
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Sundown08

Hi:

My post my have been a bit confusing. We had a Class A RV and made the change to the Big Sky. The RV had a winegard satellite dish and was wired with HDMI out to all TV's. We had them put a winegard traveler HD Dish on the trailer for Dish Network. When we went to hook up our Dish box from the RV we discovered that the trailer was wired for coax in from the satellite and out to the TV's. The box we had (211z) is coax in and HDMI out only. We had to buy a new box (211k) which has coax in for the satellite and both Coax out or HDMI out to TV's. All cables to the TV's are coax. I plugged the box in set it up and Dish Activated the box. On channel 3 I am able to get picture and sound on all of the TV's but it is fuzzy and SD only. I plugged the HDMI cable from the box to one of my TV's and got HD and beautiful picture. I am sure it is something that is not set up right. Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
Essness

I have Dish I our trailer as well and have the 211z reciever. I was told by the Dish folks that they do not output hd signals on the coax side of the 211k reciever Just sd on the coax side and hd only on the HDMI output.
so, I kept my 211z and converted the video out RCA cable (yellow) and audio (red and white) to a coax signal and back fed the pre wired antenna system in the coach with an a/b switch to select antenna or dish.
The main tv in the living room is plugged into the hdmi on the 211z and is hd. All other tv's are fed thru the converted signal and a/b switch and are sd. Other than splitting the hdmi and running hdmi cables to all the other tv's, I dont know how else to distribute a single from a single reciever.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

All info I supplied you in previous post is general information (HDMI,Coaxial feeds) and still applies. Not sure how your rig is wired with coaxial wire to other rooms. Is there a antenna booster in the wiring if so make sure it is turned off. Should be a little button and led light near/on the coax connector wall plate. If on and using another video source other than the antenna I would expect interference.

Are you needing to change TV inputs from the TV setup?

As I discussed previously only getting channel 3 or 4 with a coaxial cable output is normal. With this setup of the dish box and using the coax out to the rest of the TVs please note all TVs receiver(tuner) will need to be set to either 3 or 4 (depending how box is setup and all TVs will receive the same Dish Channel and not HD.

To eliminate a booster issue and simplify this, lets work with one TV. Take the Dish box with two coax connections.

Connect SAT cable to SAT in connector on Box, take a section of RG6 and connect one end the coax output connection the other end to the TV coax input connection. Set the box to either channel 3 or 4. Set the TV tuner to either 3 or 4 to match setting of box, go to TV setup menu and set input to coax and possible air versus cable if that is what your TV has. I usually have the TV do a scan to make sure channel 3 or 4 is picked up.

Of course to verify the box is working you can use the HDMI cables only to ensure box is working.

If this works with the coax on the one TV do the same setup for other TVs and make sure if booster in rig that it is shut off.

If this does not work after doing this procedure let me know and I will read up on these dish boxes. Keep your test setup as simple as you can till you get it to work. One TV in test loop enough for now
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Sundown08

Hi :

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As time permits I will give them a try and let you know how it works out.

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
shiggs68

On a 211z Dish box, the coax out connector is only SD. The only HD out is the HDMI connector.

The other confusion is that the 211z has an over-the-air turner which also has a coax connector intended to come from your OTA Antenna.

One thing I found was that if you use the coax out (channel 3) connected to your built in coax distribution, the OTA Booster needs to be turned off. This depends on where within the wiring it is located. Just something to try.

As far as running HDMI to all TVs, there is a length restriction on HDMI, You might be better off to use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver and not have to worry about how to route the cables.
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
Sundown08

Hi Everyone:

Well I can now report that we finally have beautiful HD TV in our rig. Started checking the lines and discovered the two of the lines run by Keystone were bad. No signal on one and a very bad quality signal on the other. Ended up running new lines and now all is well. Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions.

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
{tpc}

Glad you got it figured out! All it takes for a line to be bad is one single wire strand from the shield touching a center conductor. Usually happens when the cable end is being put on, from someone rushing or just not paying attention.