Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
rwmurphy15

TPO Rubber Roof

I have a 2013 Fuzion 301 that I would like to get a tube of sealant to keep on hand just in case I need it. I emailed keystone and gave them my serial no. To see what type of roof I have. They told me it was a Alta TPO rubber roof and to check with my dealer as to what sealant to use. I have checked online for Alta rubber roof and nothing. Has anyone heard of this brand roof. Emailed service dept got no response yet. Might be more China junk.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You're almost correct in the name of the roof you have on your Fuzion. It's an ALPHA SYSTEMS TPO ROOF MEMBRANE. TPO stands for "ThermoPlastic Olefin"

You can find information about it here: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Produ...roducttypeid=1

Maintenance and repair information is located here: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

Essentially, they recommend using their brand name products (so does Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. Their product is Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant however, DICOR lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) are probably stocked in most RV parts stores and is essentially the same type sealant. Instructions on how to prepare the surface, apply the sealant and clean up after application are addressed in the "Product Care" file listed above.

DICOR also has a website with information on how to inspect/maintain their roofing materials. It's located here: http://www.dicorproducts.com/resources/care/

Keep in mind that just as in auto surface maintenance, the soap, wax, conditioner and cleaners are pretty much suitable for any brand of vehicle, the same is true for TPO roofing surfaces. What works on DICOR is almost always suitable for an Alpha Systems TPO roof membrane.

And NO, it's not "Chinese junk". Alpha Systems is based in Elkhart, Indiana and has the IN HOUSE manufacturing capability to produce the roofing membrane in Elkhart.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Dicor has come out with a "new" sealant that is primarily designed for use on the newer TPO roof systems. The sealant comes in 2 parts: a primer and a tube of self-leveling sealant.

The name of the product is Dicor Ultra Sealant Primer and Dicor Ultra Sealant Self-Leveling.

The primer is applied after you have thoroughly cleaned the area, brushed on and allowed to dry. This is followed by applying the Self-Leveling sealant with the usual "gun".
Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
rwmurphy15

Jrtjh

I knew about the alpha TPO rubber roof. But twice in a email to keystone they kept referring it as a alta rubber roof. That's what kept throwing me off. I think I'll email them back asking if they ment alpha not alta roof.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
rwmurphy15

Festus2, Thanks for the info I didn't know they had a ultra sealant. It just seems that the only way you can get alpha sealant is thru the company. So if you are at a campground and a branch poked a hole on your rubber roof you need something right away to fix it and most Rv dealers have Dicor products but not alpha sealants.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
Festus2, Thanks for the info I didn't know they had a ultra sealant. It just seems that the only way you can get alpha sealant is thru the company. So if you are at a campground and a branch poked a hole on your rubber roof you need something right away to fix it and most Rv dealers have Dicor products but not alpha sealants.
You can get one or both of these new Ultra Sealants from a variety of sources: www.pplmotorhomes.com ; ebay and amazon. Try a Google search for other suppliers.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
rwmurphy15

Festus2, I emailed Dicor about sealant for a alpha rubber roof and there answer was to use there ultra primer and sealant or use alpha Sealant either one would be OK. So you were correct. Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
rwmurphy15

JRTJH, I emailed keystone back about Alta rubber roof they said was on my RV and I ask them if they didn't mean Alpha rubber roof not alta rubber roof. They admitted they were wrong. Nice to know Keystone doesn't even know what type of roofs they put on there rv's. But I'll give them credit for admitting there mistake. And thanks for the leads you gave me good info.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Festus2, I emailed Dicor about sealant for a alpha rubber roof and there answer was to use there ultra primer and sealant or use alpha Sealant either one would be OK. So you were correct. Thanks
While either one "might be ok", if it were me, I'd be sure to use the self-leveling sealant for any recaulking , sealing of cracks, etc. The surface would, of course, need to be cleaned thoroughly before using either one of these two products. I watched their video and it appeared to me that the primer was intended for use in new applications to be followed up by the self-leveling sealant.
In any case, you now have a Dicor product designed for use on your TPO roof.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH, I emailed keystone..... Nice to know Keystone doesn't even know what type of roofs they put on there rv's. But I'll give them credit for admitting there mistake. And thanks for the leads you gave me good info.
Your email went to Customer Service. They don't spend any time in the factory, so I'm not surprised. I have talked to "Tech support" at different manufacturers, and have been put on hold as they either call, or in one case walked out to the production line and asked the guys "on the line" for the information.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
jrp

Don't contribute to the confusion by referring to it as rubber. TPO is not a rubber roof, its a compound plastic. Which is why it takes different products than the typical rubber (EDPM) RV roof.

Quote:
JRTJH, I emailed keystone back about Alta rubber roof they said was on my RV and I ask them if they didn't mean Alpha rubber roof not alta rubber roof. ...
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote