Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #21
Learnites

maxx, question for you. Looks like you have a very nice setup. I just bought a new 2015 GMC 2500HD and I am a bit worried about pulling something as heavy as the Fusion.(Dry Hitch weight) Looking at the numbers, I am guessing you are well over the tow vehicle max gross weight but under rear axle and combined weight. Did you add air bags to keep it level? What suspension changes if any have you made? Any recommendations? I was thinking of something like yours or a Raptor 300mp. Did you add a 3rd axle on the trailer?

Thanks for your time.
Jim

Thanks Jim
2015 371 Fuzion
Hensley TS3 Hitch
Firestone Airbags
Learnites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #22
Jim7411

Wet Bolts & Joy Rider Shocks too!

Thanks for all the tips I got from you folks! I finally got around to replacing all the suspension bolts, as well as installing shocks on my Laredo. The first side went pretty slow since I wasn't too sure what I was doing, but the second side went much faster. Using the ball joint press certainly made pressing the bushings in much easier. Also, using a reamer to size them after they were pressed in made a huge difference. The shocks went in relatively easy. Good clear instructions, but as with all "kits", there's always something unexpected. In my case, it was the propane line. I had to disconnect it and move it out of the way so I could bolt the shock bracket to the frame, and then replace it in a slightly different location. When I was younger/poorer, I would do all kind of upgrades/modifications to my car and motorcycle, but as I grew older it got easier to just pay someone to do the dirty work. I have to admit that I really enjoyed working on the trailer myself!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 AM   #23
Bob Landry

I've had the E-Z Flex kit for mine since back in August. I don't know if I've been too busy to install it or it's just a lack of ambition. I'm leaning towards the latter. It's sitting in my storage room along with the ball joint press. It's not that large a project, I just need to get off of my butt and do it.
I thought about just taking the kit and the trailer to my dealer and have them do it, but I'm afraid Gilligan would get in a rush to "get to the next job" and use an impact gun to remove everything and ruin the splines on the brackets. I'll get around to it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #24
Desert185

Its actually a pretty straightforward endeavor if you have any mechanical aptitude. I found doing the equalizer before doing one spring end at a time, and then doing the opposite side was the key. If you drop both axles from the trailer, the process becomes much more difficult. When done the way I describe alignment is simple and may only require a tapered punch and a short pry bar on the spring ends. Once you do one side, the opposite side will go much faster.

Use the ball joint tool to press the new bolts rather than hammer them.

Don't "reclock" the preassembled shackles. Rotate them at the spring end positions to see which position results in as close to 3 or 9 o'clock the grease holes will be when installed. If you disassemble them, you will be creating unnecessary grief for yourself.

Squirt a bit of grease into the wetbolts via the zerk before installing them through the bushings. This checks the zerks and prelubes the bushings.

The bronze bushings in the kit can be easily tapped into place with a hammer by using one of the old bolts that has had the striations on the bolt near the head ground smooth.

If your grease gun has a hose, the wetbolt zerk fittings can be placed on the outside. Inspite of that, I assembled my wetbolts with the zerks on the inside so I have to slide underneath to lube them and have a better vantage point for inspecting the suspension when lubing is called for.

After something like 3,000 miles with the kit installed, I can say the process is worth every penny and effort. Alignment for me wasn't an issue. The new, balanced Maxxis tires are tracking true. I'm glad I did this with very few miles on the SRX as the damage to the nylon bushings was surprising.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #25
Larry1013

I have ordered and have received the E-Z Flex kit my dual axle 5th wheel trailer. At this time awaiting some warmer weather to arrive.

My concerns are related to lifting the trailer to install the kit. I have been toying with 'levering' the trailer with the front landing legs.

Asking for opinions on whether this is a wise move or not. I have thought about using the the front legs to lower the trailer to get the rear of the trailer high enough to block it with wood blocks and jack stands on both sides. Then raise the front of the trailer with the landing legs to get the needed height.

Are the legs and associated mechanism (gears) strong enough to do this?

Also in the plans are to replace the straight grease fitting with 90* fitting to make it easier to grease from the outboard side with or without a flex hose on grease gun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #26
Desert185

You don't to jack the trailer up. Jack on the spring ubolt at the axle with a bottle jack and compress the springs enough to remove the tires. Leave the landing gear and rear stabilizer jacks in their normally deployed position and do one side at a time with the other side chocked. Use jack stands on the frame forward and aft of the axles as added support with the tires removed and do the equalizer first, then each spring end one at a time so everything stays lined up as much as possible.

This how I did it.

P.S. See post#24, above.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #27
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
You don't to jack the trailer up. Jack on the spring ubolt at the axle with a bottle jack and compress the springs enough to remove the tires. Leave the landing gear and rear stabilizer jacks in their normally deployed position and do one side at a time with the other side chocked. Use jack stands on the frame forward and aft of the axles as added support with the tires removed.

This how I did it.
Sounds good. Wasn't quite sure what method most were using. Thought I might be "over engineering" or "over thinking" it. Thanks

Old 02-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
Larry1013

Was a nice sunny warm day here in Alabama, so decided to tackle the EZ-Flex install.

It went a lot easier and quicker than I imagined. I was expecting an all day affair to say the least. I was able to change all items out on both sides in approximately 3 and half hours. This included the jacking/levering of 5'r.

Thanks for the input guys. Now to load it up and go some place warm.