Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
jencox5508

Whole camper smells awful

Last time we took it out and got home I noticed it under the sink, smelled like a dead animal and finally went away. Well now this time after we get home I notice it more in the bathroom...We use the deodorizer packets each time we flush it out...what's going on? We purchased this brand new last July and never had any problems with the previous camper.
Jennifer
jencox5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It is very hard to say what is wrong since we have no idea what make and model trailer you have. More info is needed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
curlyfungirl

I hope nothing died in the walls
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
oldfamer

I notice that in my Laredo one time this summer. When we got home from our trip the camper had a bad sewer smell. I poured water down all the sink traps and the smell cleared up. I think my problem was from having two roof vents open while driving. Since then I close them before we leave the campground and have not had any more problems. Hope this helps.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
therink

Under the sink, you may find a vent/vacuum breaker as part of the drain line assembly. If is located up high in the cabinet. It is a threaded fitting and may be loose or the rubber check valve seal may be bad allowing tank vapors to enter the cabin. I had this problem once, replaced it and problem was solved.
Also could be a blocked roof vent line.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Under the sink, you may find a vent/vacuum breaker as part of the drain line assembly. If is located up high in the cabinet. It is a threaded fitting and may be loose or the rubber check valve seal may be bad allowing tank vapors to enter the cabin. I had this problem once, replaced it and problem was solved.
Also could be a blocked roof vent line.
Steve
This is most likely your issue
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
jencox5508

I'm sorry I didn't include the made/model, it is a 2013 Keystone Cougar 322QBS

Jennifer
jencox5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Looking at your floorplan you definitely have a mechanical vent under your kitchen sink cabinet. As mentioned above if this is not working properly oder from the galley tank can come in. It is a standard hardware item that sells for under $10 and easy to replace. BUT, your bathroom gray and black tanks are vented through the roof so no oder should be coming in from them if there is water in the sink and shower drain traps and the toilet bowl. As mentioned also, driving with roof vents or windows open will pull oder into the trailer and defeats the design of the sewer vents and allowing oder to come through the traps.
Not sure if I helped here, but if you are still under warranty give your dealer a call.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Heliumhel

My raptor had the same issue and it turned out the vent under the sink was missing the vacuum break, it was laying in the Cabinette and just had to be screwed back on. In the bathroom I leave water in the bowl to prevent the seal from drying out and keep the odor down.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
28Bunkhouse

Trailer odour

We just returned from a week's vacation, we are currently experiencing a similar problem, smell like cat urine. I was wondering if Keystone used urea insulation?? 281 BHSSR 2011. We will check the vent now.

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

Urine smell

We are getting a very strong urine smell in the bathroom closet. The vent pipe runs up through this closet but it appears intact. 2013 Premier Bullet 19'.
Especially strong after moving location.
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
LuvsPalmTrees

Dave FromRockcliffeTheSea - we had the same problem with our TT (Laredo 2013) We noticed the smell but I thought maybe I did not clean the toilet well then we noticed some water on the floor of the bathroom (seeping out of the toilet were the top and bottom connect). It did not leak when it was not being towed. I contacted Dometic and they sent us a brand new toilet (still under warranty). When my DH disconnected the toilet he seen black water stuck in a pocket of the toilet. After my DH switched them out and no more smell or leakage.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote