Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Brian Hunt

Couch Replacement Ideas for Passport?

We bought our 2011 Passport 28.5 BH new 2 years ago and love it. Have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Matter of fact, her maiden voyage was from Yakima, WA to San Antonio and back without a hitch. (Pun intended) My only regret is that I overlooked the really poor back support on the over stuffed Jackknife love seat. The problem is that this trailer has a mid wall slide that does not move the floor. The slide itself is directly under the seat cushion rather than on the floor. We don't need this to be a jackknife, just a seating area and it is really terrible to sit on. I have considered many ideas such as pulling out the love seat which is bolted to the frame above the slide, and building a platform and covering it with fabric and then mounting two chairs (without legs) to it or maybe modifying a love seat by removing the legs to make it fit. Any furniture I use can not have legs of any kind because whatever I use will sit about 4 inches directly above the slide. Has anyone attempted a mod to this issue with the passport or a model with a similar slide out? Any ideas are appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09184.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09188.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09187.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2597  
Brian Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
rode2nowhere

Mine is very uncomfortable too, feels like your leaning forward all of the time. Some people have put recliners there. Curious as to other suggestions here myself.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
SlowPoke

If I'm understanding this and looking at the pics correctly, could you replace with another type of seat, with legs.... BUT attach rollers to the front legs, and back legs if necessary, to allow the movement you need for the slide?

Just a brain fart.

Do you use it as a sleeper as well? Or not need that option?

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
chuck&gail

We hated the stupid folding sofa in ours. Took sofa to the dump. Put 3/4" plywood top on existing base (ours did'nt slide, but had water heater and pump under it). Bought perfect fit mattress from TempFlo. Added chusions, now it is a wonderful daybed (for one), and a real comfortable couch.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
f6bits

Do you have a picture of your setup? Our jackknife sofa is worthless for sleeping. I'd love to replace the sofa mechanism for something a little more sensible. Ooh! And I see that Tempflo is local for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
We hated the stupid folding sofa in ours. Took sofa to the dump. Put 3/4" plywood top on existing base (ours did'nt slide, but had water heater and pump under it). Bought perfect fit mattress from TempFlo. Added chusions, now it is a wonderful daybed (for one), and a real comfortable couch.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Alaomega

Great idea for leaky floor

We recently purchased a used 199 ML only to find that the a leak occurred in the forward sidewall of the slide out. The wood floor is rotten about 3 inches in on the forward edge of the floor and about 1 inch wide strip along the front, about 2 feet of the left exterior wall. There is no damage to the upper structure of the slide out that we can see at this stage of deconstruction.

So I am racking my brain of how to fix this without having to build a "superstructure" outside of the 199 ML to place the slide out on or to support the slide out. Since the rotten areas do not include where the slide roller is, I can put a second full floor of marine grade plywood on top (screwed and glued!), go underneath, cut the bad section out, use kraft (butcher) paper for a template, cut another piece of plywood to match, screw and glue it into place.

And then figure out what furniture to put into/ replace the somewhat well intentioned sofa sleeper... Anybody with any pictures yet?

Alaomega
Alaomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
theeyres

Our Hideout has exactly the same set-up and it is the most uncomfortable part of the whole trailer. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to replace the jack-knife sofa with anything that will sit on top of the slide. I'm sorry to see that no one can figure out a solution.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
karen.b.anderson

I bought a dual recliner from these guys and I love it.

http://www.glastop.com/rv-furniture.asp

When they were working with me on sizing to make sure it would fit they asked me if it would fit within the slide or straddle it, because they could put different height feet on it if it had to straddle it. I was really impressed w/ their sales people - really knowledgeable. No association - I'm just REALLY happy with what we got. Supremely comfortable, especially after the stinky old jack knife sofa.
karen.b.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
jujustad

We have a 2012 Cougar that came with the awful jack knife sofa too. It wasn't comfortable as a sofa or a bed. We pulled the unit out, made a plywood platform that rests on the old supports for the old sofa. I ordered good quality foam for the bed, bolsters for the back and covered it all. I made some throw pillows because I am short and my husband is tall so the throw pillows help me out I made a foam ottoman so that I could prop my feet up as the platform is a smidge high for me. The ottoman can also hold a tray and act as coffee table. There is also relatively easy to reach storage in baskets underneath the daybed . We are SO happy to have that darn sofa gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0450.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	6392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1334.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	6393  
jujustad is offline   Reply With Quote